• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

We'll see what the final weekend numbers are later today. Suicide Squad has exceeded estimates two weekends in a row. But based on the current estimate, it had the strongest third weekend drop when compared to all 2016 comic book movies.

MYWAvAz.png

Once the final numbers are out - and if it beats Deadpool's -46.2% (it will) - then I'll note it as the lowest third weekend drop.

that's a function of the calendar. GOTG dropped 31% in its 3rd weekend because it fell on the last Sat in Aug as well. SS will have little to no drop next weekend because of Labor Day.

I wonder how many experts would change or adjust their reviews now that they've seen the success of this movie

hm

none with any integrity

Popular does not equal good.

see: every Transformers movie

I wonder how many experts would change or adjust their reviews now that they've seen the success of this movie

hm

none with any integrity

Popular does not equal good.

see: every Transformers movie

+1 lol

***Except the animated one...that's an all time great movie

hm

I would hope none since the quality of a movie shouldn't equate to how much it makes. I give this film a 2/5 and to me, it doesn't matter how much money it makes because it's box office total doesn't fix the issues I had with it. I get what you are saying but when it comes to reviews I can't think of anyone as an expert, just another person with an opinion.

hm

I could have sworn in 1997, Peter Travers in Rolling Stone gave Batman & Robin, a one sentence (fewest words possible) happy review at first, before completely trashing it down the road and years beyond.

That one always stood out to me.

Another weekend where Suicide Squad surpasses the estimate (+ $738,439). And now it has a stronger Revenue Ration than either of the last two DCEU films.

:o

eHLXN80.png

FAU8ayt.png

Remaining box office releases:

Japan: 10 September 2016

hm

none with any integrity

Siskel & Ebert would publicly change their reviews from time to time, admitting they might have been wrong in TV specials.

I was going to give Batman v Superman **1/2 out of **** yesterday, but I'm going to hold it at **. ;)

Another weekend where Suicide Squad surpasses the estimate (+ $738,439). And now it has a stronger Revenue Ration than either of the last two DCEU films.

:o

eHLXN80.png

FAU8ayt.png

Remaining box office releases:

Japan: 10 September 2016

Oh...

Qex5Lxp.png

And Suicide Squad ends up with the best 4th weekend dropoff rate of all 2016 comic book movies. Weekend dropoff - not weekly where 'it's vacation time' is the new debate point.

hm

I could have sworn in 1997, Peter Travers in Rolling Stone gave Batman & Robin, a one sentence (fewest words possible) happy review at first, before completely trashing it down the road and years beyond.

There is only one answer... drugs.

hm

I think we was praising it for lightening up The Dark knight or being a family movie.

But, yeah... drugs.

I still remember sitting in there opening weekend, in horror how simple (and neon) it was. I might own the 2-disc DVD, just for the multiple part documentary.

hm

I think we was praising it for lightening up The Dark knight or being a family movie.

But, yeah... drugs.

I still remember sitting in there opening weekend, in horror how simple (and neon) it was. I might own the 2-disc DVD, just for the multiple part documentary.

I can't believe how bad Bane was in that movie... I rewatched a snippet (and I mean snippet) the other day. Shouldn't have done that. It was blanked from my memory :facepalm:

Box Office: 'Suicide Squad' Had A Secret Weapon (Spoiler: It Was Will Smith)

With a surprisingly solid hold in its fourth weekend of release, Suicide Squad is starting to shape up to be more than a presold flash-in-the-pan. The film has $634 million worldwide thus far, including $282m domestic, with a possible worldwide cume of $690-$700m before the film opens in Japan on Sept. 10. Even if rumblings about needing $750m-to-$800m to break even is actually true, well, the DC Comics offering might just get there anyway. Moreover, with a domestic total now pointing towards over/under $310m, it may end up leggier in the states than Captain America: Civil War, which once again proves the value of summer weekdays and being the last biggie of the season.

But as we discuss the how’s and why’s of the film’s success, we shouldn’t forget about one key element. Warner Bros. snagged one of the world’s biggest movie stars in what turned out to be the lead role. Yes, there are lots of people who flocked to Suicide Squad because the marketing made it look like a whacked-out blast, or because they like DC Comics characters, or they liked the specific DC Comics characters (Harley Quinn, Amanda Waller, Joker, uh… Captain Boomerang?). But there is also a solid contingent, certainly overseas, that are still lining up for Suicide Squad at least partially because it’s a big-budget action blockbuster that happens to star Will Smith.

In terms of general audience interest and overseas might, Will Smith is a big reason why a Task Force X movie will end up awfully close to Batman v Superman in North America and may not end up that far behind overseas (especially with theoretical China grosses tossed in). 3D bumps and inflation notwithstanding, Suicide Squad ($282m domestic/$634m worldwide and counting) is already Mr. Smith’s biggest worldwide grosser ever behind Independence Day ($306m/$817m back in 1996). Obviously, Suicide Squad helps Mr. Smith, arguably to a greater degree than starring in Independence Day: Resurgence would have. But Smith helped Suicide Squad in kind by being “Will Smith: Movie Star” in a comic book superhero movie.

I wonder what the value of Tom Hardy would have been in this film after his Fury Road success?

With a surprisingly solid hold in its fourth weekend of release, Suicide Squad is starting to shape up to be more than a presold flash-in-the-pan. The film has $634 million worldwide thus far, including $282m domestic, with a possible worldwide cume of $690-$700m before the film opens in Japan on Sept. 10. Even if rumblings about needing $750m-to-$800m to break even is actually true, well, the DC Comics offering might just get there anyway. Moreover, with a domestic total now pointing towards over/under $310m, it may end up leggier in the states than Captain America: Civil War, which once again proves the value of summer weekdays and being the last biggie of the season.

But as we discuss the how’s and why’s of the film’s success, we shouldn’t forget about one key element. Warner Bros. snagged one of the world’s biggest movie stars in what turned out to be the lead role. Yes, there are lots of people who flocked to Suicide Squad because the marketing made it look like a whacked-out blast, or because they like DC Comics characters, or they liked the specific DC Comics characters (Harley Quinn, Amanda Waller, Joker, uh… Captain Boomerang?). But there is also a solid contingent, certainly overseas, that are still lining up for Suicide Squad at least partially because it’s a big-budget action blockbuster that happens to star Will Smith.

In terms of general audience interest and overseas might, Will Smith is a big reason why a Task Force X movie will end up awfully close to Batman v Superman in North America and may not end up that far behind overseas (especially with theoretical China grosses tossed in). 3D bumps and inflation notwithstanding, Suicide Squad ($282m domestic/$634m worldwide and counting) is already Mr. Smith’s biggest worldwide grosser ever behind Independence Day ($306m/$817m back in 1996). Obviously, Suicide Squad helps Mr. Smith, arguably to a greater degree than starring in Independence Day: Resurgence would have. But Smith helped Suicide Squad in kind by being “Will Smith: Movie Star” in a comic book superhero movie.

I wonder what the value of Tom Hardy would have been in this film after his Fury Road success?

Now he was a much better Bane... despite the voice.

hm

But, yeah... drugs.

I can't believe how bad Bane was in that movie... I rewatched a snippet (and I mean snippet) the other day. Shouldn't have done that. It was blanked from my memory :facepalm:

A dream cast for that movie in '97 that would make it remotely better would have been: somehow KEEP Val Kilmer, lose Robin and Batgirl, get Patrick Stewart as Mr. Freeze and Julia Roberts as Poison Ivy (she did a couple Schumacher movies.) Use Bane in an opening Bond pre-credit sequence to potentially set up a sequel. I think that would have elevated the acting a bit from the cheese.

hm

But, yeah... drugs.

A dream cast for that movie in '97 that would make it remotely better would have been: somehow KEEP Val Kilmer, lose Robin and Batgirl, get Patrick Stewart as Mr. Freeze and Julia Roberts as Poison Ivy (she did a couple Schumacher movies.) Use Bane in an opening Bond pre-credit sequence to potentially set up a sequel. I think that would have elevated the acting a bit from the cheese.

Patrick Stewart as Mr Freeze...? hm

I like it!

hm

But, yeah... drugs.

Patrick Stewart as Mr Freeze...? hm

I like it!

I might have read it was a consideration in a trade out there back in the day, but it always stuck out since. He would have been a very cerebral choice, but technically they did that with the manic Carrey in "Forever." I'm guessing that they wanted a more action actor that could move toys more.

Nothing against Schwarzenegger, but his last good movie came out 22 years ago (but I liked T3.)

Now he was a much better Bane... despite the voice.

Max. His name is Max!

:sumo: