• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Boy, when they predicted 'Don't Breathe' was supposed to do well, I don't think they realized how strong its opening weekend would be.

went last night!! Don't breath was.....AWESOME!!!

Saw it on Friday with the wife. We both liked it.

Just got back from going with my kids and a Marvel fanboy friend and his kid (we were supposed to go last weekend but had to postpone it). My buddy and his kid liked it - his son thought it was awesome, as did mine. My buddy and his kid thought it was just as good as Civil War, and this is from a Marvel fanboy family. lol

Right after the Deadshot solo shooting spree in the first battle my buddy commented that he would love to see a solo film for him.

He also commented on how seemless the 3D effects were. The advances in filming tech are making 3D seem like normal now which is great.

This was the second time my daughter and I saw it and we both enjoyed it more than the first time as we picked up on new smaller details that we did not notice the first go round.

Even more impressive was the turnout for a 1:20 pm matinee weekend showing - the largest AVX 3D theatre was well over half full. The number of families with younger kids was interesting as well. Like I posted earlier, it looks like people were catching up after being on vacation. It could lead to a nice next weekend as well.

I saw this a few weeks ago and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I'm a Marvel guy and didn't know much about the Suicide Squad backstory and didn't know what to expect. The lengthy exposition at the beginning was boring to sit through and the plot left a lot to be desired but it was a fun movie. That was enough for me.

Margot Robbie was easily the best part of the movie (who else remembers her from the short-lived ABC drama Pan Am?) but Jared Leto's Joker was awful. Plus, Joker didn't add anything to the movie. Cut him out entirely and nothing changes.

The lady villain was ridiculous, though.

...Margot Robbie was easily the best part of the movie (who else remembers her from the short-lived ABC drama Pan Am?) but Jared Leto's Joker was awful. Plus, Joker didn't add anything to the movie. Cut him out entirely and nothing changes...

It did appear he was nothing more than a vehicle to advance Harley's character through the storyline... How times have changed.

12m is a nice weekend! $3300/theater, outdistancing BvS both in per theater ($2600/theater) and week 4 total (BvS did $9m)

Dont know if it will beat BvS out for totals or worldwide, but it's showing it is falling slower than BvS so it might have better legs depending on competition over the next month...

The fact that after a month it's only what about $30m behind overall (domestic) than BvS with nowhere near the name recognition is pretty impressive.

Look at the next month... anyone see anything that is a direct type compeition for SSquad's PG-13 audience?

Morgan looks good, love Kate Mara, but it's R

Sully? Sure it's PG-13, but it's a Tom Hanks movie where he flys a plane...

Blair Witch, probably the biggest pull, but it's R so that caps it a bit...

Snowden? Again R, and it's Gordon-Levit, but it's about security leaks, not exactly teeny-fare.

The Magnificent Seven? A good shot, but it is a western, but PG-13, Chris Pratt, and so on.

Im not saying that SSquad out performs any of them, but I think the lack of direct competition until M7 comes out (and even then it's not exact) means that SSquad has a chance to retain well for the next month...

We'll see what the final weekend numbers are later today. Suicide Squad has exceeded estimates two weekends in a row. But based on the current estimate, it had the strongest third weekend drop when compared to all 2016 comic book movies.

MYWAvAz.png

Once the final numbers are out - and if it beats Deadpool's -46.2% (it will) - then I'll note it as the lowest third weekend drop.

As far as what's ahead for 2016.

• September 9, 2016 – Sully (starring Tom Hanks)
  • September 16, 2016 – Blair Witch
  • September 16, 2016 – Snowden
  • September 23, 2016 – The Magnificent Seven
  • September 30, 2016 – Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
  • October 21, 2016 – Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
  • November 4, 2016 – Doctor Strange
  • November 23, 2016 – Moana (Disney)
  • December 16, 2016 – Star Wars: Rogue One
  • December 21, 2016 – Assassin's Creed

Mark Hughes from Forbes.com providing weekly projections to box office completion. Including what the Japanese box office could contribute.

X6n6oB3.png

it may be math but he changes his estimates every week, so it's hard math for him

I would think it is because in general the movie has outperformed expectations. So he has had to adjust his numbers each time.

What was your original estimate for a final worldwide box office before the movie came out?