• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the rarest book you own want or know of

457 posts in this topic

My question is: Does it matter if you have a unique or very rare comic if nobody else wants one? I'm sure the are a lot of rare comics out there that nobody wants. I'm sure some of us have something in our collections that very few others have. Just think of all the garbage that came out in the B&W explosion during the 80s.

If you want a copy it does? I can't speak for anybody else, but I collect for myself, not for anybody else. (shrug) Rare only means very low supply, not valuable or in demand. EDIT: But as CBT just proved a few posts above, many people here somehow have trouble with these basic definitions.

Yes rarity is separate from demand

According to antiques roadshow the elements of a valuable collectible are

Rarity

Demand

Significance

Condition

....Just think of all the garbage that came out in the B&W explosion during the 80s.

Yep, I think I have a lot of those that came out, some were good stories, others were bleh..

I imagine local plays a factor.Some Aircel.books are pretty tough to find,but as they were produced here in Ottawa, fairly easy for me...

Yes rarity is separate from demand

According to antiques roadshow the elements of a valuable collectible are

Rarity

Demand

Significance

Condition

That's pretty good, but in a way Significance and Condition are just secondary factors affecting the supply/quantity and the demand.

Yep these factors influence each other but absent one of them, except possibly significance, something is not valuable.

Superman 15...

Nice presenting mid grade copies do not show up that often. When I finally was able to pick one up I settled on a raw copy from Metro with tear seals.

superman15.jpg

My question is: Does it matter if you have a unique or very rare comic if nobody else wants one? I'm sure the are a lot of rare comics out there that nobody wants. I'm sure some of us have something in our collections that very few others have. Just think of all the garbage that came out in the B&W explosion during the 80s.
Often times that's exactly what makes them hard to find. Something with a print run of five hundred that is an instant collectible, you'll find 499 of them in 9.8 slabs, and half that listed for sale on eBay at any given time.

Something with a print run of five hundred with zero collectible value, you can bet half were lost, recycled, thrown away. The other half are sitting in boxes somewhere, probably not in the hands of dealers, not listed for sale because of no market for them. Not listed individually anyway. Maybe changing hands in large bulk purchases and never even removed from the box, just sold later in another large bulk purchase after the marketable stuff was sold out of it. Which is exactly what makes it impossibly hard if you're that one guy looking for something hard to find with out a fan base.

But if a movie were announced, all those copies would suddenly appear ;)

I'm gonna have to check my boxes for those Elementals v Charnel house-I bought every Elementals that hit the stands.

Superman 15...

Nice presenting mid grade copies do not show up that often. When I finally was able to pick one up I settled on a raw copy from Metro with tear seals.

superman15.jpg

Show off! :baiting::foryou:

Now where did I put my Contact....(only book I have I know you don't ;) )

Thanks to this thread I just found the first four issues of Slam Bang for $11 shipped. My first back issue purchase of the year by the way. There's also two more issues listed, but a bit higher than I'm ready to pay. Not because I don't think they're worth it, but because I've been broke all year and just recently became not broke and am paranoid I may be broke again if I start buying a bunch of comics. lol

The first Elflord series

Those three have been giving me a hard time

Would this be the Elflord series by Aircel in color? I have issues 1, 3, and 4 of that series from the 80's. I do not have number 2 listed in my old Dataperfect file, so somehow I must have missed that one back in the day.