• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the rarest book you own want or know of

457 posts in this topic

A little while back I was pulling copies of Captain Britain 19 because its the first appearance of the new Agents of Shield main character Lance Hunter. I was able to get a handful of them, but it was surprisingly uncommon online.

Since then, one guy realized and has a copy listed on ebay for $280 lol lol

I have no doubt it wont be hard to find for inflated prices once people clue in, but since its a UK only book, most non-UK LCS's dont have it in stock.

i didnt toss that in the hype thread, but its a bone for this thread for people to chase :)

The first Elflord series

Those three have been giving me a hard time

Would this be the Elflord series by Aircel in color? I have issues 1, 3, and 4 of that series from the 80's. I do not have number 2 listed in my old Dataperfect file, so somehow I must have missed that one back in the day.

No, the hard to find ones are magazine sized and in black and white, some spiral bound like a service manual. They're published by Nyghtwind.

Someone on here had nearly a full set, and he sold them all off at once, I was only able to buy one at the time. Have never seen any other issues for sale before or since, except #3, which is constantly on eBay for $150. It just happens to be the one issue I already own. The series is so difficult to find I can't even find cover images for every issue, and don't even know exactly how many issues there were.

Superman 15...

Nice presenting mid grade copies do not show up that often. When I finally was able to pick one up I settled on a raw copy from Metro with tear seals.

superman15.jpg

I think they ran out of good paper stock in the middle of the run and subbed in poor quality paper. Or they are all printed on poor paper, which made it so very few survived without brittling.

I think they ran out of good paper stock in the middle of the run and subbed in poor quality paper. Or they are all printed on poor paper, which made it so very few survived without brittling.

Interesting point.

There are so many specific books out there that consistently have poor paper quality (or terrific paper quality) that it must have to do with the batches of paper they used.

There are some Battlestar Galactica Realm Press variants I have been seeking for 10 plus years. I have pictures of the books, so I know they exist, but I have never, ever seen them come up for sale.

I imagine someday, they will surface.

A little while back I was pulling copies of Captain Britain 19 because its the first appearance of the new Agents of Shield main character Lance Hunter. I was able to get a handful of them, but it was surprisingly uncommon online.

I have no doubt it wont be hard to find for inflated prices once people clue in, but since its a UK only book, most non-UK LCS's dont have it in stock.

i didnt toss that in the hype thread, but its a bone for this thread for people to chase :)

bcdc4316306a97d4d5ef699e37394a9e_zpsab48941f.jpg[/img]

bcdc4316306a97d4d5ef699e37394a9e_zpsab48941f.jpg[/img]

Definitely not a book that fits into the topic of this thread. Seems like it can be found, if you have enough money to spend. (shrug)

g_zps53061de9.jpeg

ggh_zps71811ffa.jpeg

and my proof they're real.....the envelope with date stamp they came in, the creases in the books line up pretty much with thoes in the envelope, also with the original address of mirage

gf_zps4493eb96.jpeg

Love it.

How about a copy of Amazing Man #26 from Centaur Publications which was able to fetch over $6K a few years ago at one of the major comic auction houses for only a restored CGC G+ copy or such which worked out to something like 33X Overstreet condition guide at the time. :o

It's always a sign of a strong and healthy in-demand book when a restored copy is able to sell for well over the listed guide price in this day and age of the stigmitzed PLOD. (thumbs u

I have 3 copies :o

How about a copy of Amazing Man #26 from Centaur Publications which was able to fetch over $6K a few years ago at one of the major comic auction houses for only a restored CGC G+ copy or such which worked out to something like 33X Overstreet condition guide at the time. :o

It's always a sign of a strong and healthy in-demand book when a restored copy is able to sell for well over the listed guide price in this day and age of the stigmitzed PLOD. (thumbs u

I'm waiting for Gator to talk about the Centaur he searched for, for what,forever?

Amazing Man #5 or # 15?

It was this issue. I finally got a cover less copy then 2 unrestored copies

The first Elflord series

Those three have been giving me a hard time

Would this be the Elflord series by Aircel in color? I have issues 1, 3, and 4 of that series from the 80's. I do not have number 2 listed in my old Dataperfect file, so somehow I must have missed that one back in the day.

No, the hard to find ones are magazine sized and in black and white, some spiral bound like a service manual. They're published by Nyghtwind.

Someone on here had nearly a full set, and he sold them all off at once, I was only able to buy one at the time. Have never seen any other issues for sale before or since, except #3, which is constantly on eBay for $150. It just happens to be the one issue I already own. The series is so difficult to find I can't even find cover images for every issue, and don't even know exactly how many issues there were.

is the publisher Night Wynd? what year did the copy you have come out?

3-D Three Stooges #4 (Eclipse, 1989). Overstreet says it exists, but I've never seen one.

OPG also claims that Nexus Family #1 exists but it doesn't.I got it straight from Baron that it was never published.I think it is one of those listings they put in for copyright purposes or some such thing???

Horrific Romance only a few hundred were printed. Never seen one on ebay. I ordered a copy from an Indy mag in the late 80's if I remember correct. Dialogue has such gems as 'EEEk!! Keep away from me you ghastly mother-f-!'

adult image

Horrific+Romance.jpg

1st Submariner

MoPixFunWkly1.jpg

:cloud9:

My old copy...

MPFW1_1.jpg

Wow! That is awesome. I didn't think there were actually any copies out there? Is the cover a repo or real?

That's an original copy with original cover. It was printed as a giveaway before Marvel Comics #1. Stories about whether it was actually distributed or not are mixed but if it was, it was only in a very limited area as the only copies that exist (about 10 or 11) were all found in the publisher's house after he passed.

The story then had additional pages added when it was printed in Marvel #1.

@ Rockymullins - I agree, one of the greatest story tellers in comics and the B + W showcases his lines much better than the tri-colour colouring in MC #1.

The B+W version are so much nicer than the shoddy color job they did in Marvel 1. You can barely distinguish the underwater scenes.