• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Teen Titans
3 3

1,128 posts in this topic

I'm on record here numerous times with my thoughts on this. Nothing anyone has said has changed my position that BB54 is the first appearance and origin of the Teen Titans. If someone wants to post something new I'll consider it. It's all really just a difference of opinions, and you know what they say about opinions...

I would suggest new posters read the entire thread before contributing, as many rehash or restate the same worn out arguments over and over again without shedding any new light on the debate. It's a good read with many interesting points made on both sides.

But no one has delivered a definitive statement on either side, so I'll continue to be on the BB54 wagon, as it is the current and currently correct title for Teen Titans first appearance and origin.

(Picks up mic and carefully places it back in the stand).

You are SO pandering to the whole bipartisan compromise crowd. You're welcome to stay on that antiquated wagon, but a change is gonna come my friend...the BB60 bullet train has left the station and it's coming for us all (complete with actual definitive statement from Robin, the Boy Wonder)!

:facepalm:

No more beer for you...

I'm on record here numerous times with my thoughts on this. Nothing anyone has said has changed my position that BB54 is the first appearance and origin of the Teen Titans. If someone wants to post something new I'll consider it. It's all really just a difference of opinions, and you know what they say about opinions...

I would suggest new posters read the entire thread before contributing, as many rehash or restate the same worn out arguments over and over again without shedding any new light on the debate. It's a good read with many interesting points made on both sides.

But no one has delivered a definitive statement on either side, so I'll continue to be on the BB54 wagon, as it is the current and currently correct title for Teen Titans first appearance and origin.

Yeah, not much chance you will change your mind even if Robin came to the end of your bed this night and tells you his Teen Titans have come to save you from your denial. Even if he told you that the Teen Titans are 4 teens, and Wonder Woman is not in BB54 - so logically.... Even if he told you that the editor in Teen Titans #1 said that Teen Titans was only formed after they saw how successful the cross-over of three teen heroes was in BB54. Even if.. and so on.

Looking at your signature with that BB54 CGC 7.5 it's understandable that you might not change your mind. Btw. love those 6 JLA's in your sig!

Yeah, not much chance you will change your mind even if Robin came to the end of your bed this night and tells you his Teen Titans have come to save you from your denial. Even if he told you that the Teen Titans are 4 teens, and Wonder Woman is not in BB54 - so logically.... Even if he told you that the editor in Teen Titans #1 said that Teen Titans was only formed after they saw how successful the cross-over of three teen heroes was in BB54. Even if.. and so on.

Looking at your signature with that BB54 CGC 7.5 it's understandable that you might not change your mind. Btw. love those 6 JLA's in your sig!

Um, wow.

It's a 7.0... and a photo of my BB60 is also in this thread a few pages back. Sheesh.

You are SO pandering to the whole bipartisan compromise crowd. You're welcome to stay on that antiquated wagon, but a change is gonna come my friend...the BB60 bullet train has left the station and it's coming for us all (complete with actual definitive statement from Robin, the Boy Wonder)!

:facepalm:

No more beer for you...

Fine. Shots it is.

Edited by jtlarsen

20141028_122918_zpsed694d8f.jpg

I found this article in Teen Titans 1

I think we can stick a fork in this debate. Frigging Teen Titans 1 states that the history of the Teen Titans starts with BB 54. It also states that what happened in BB 60 was that DC responded to the "call for the addition of Wonder Girl to the teen team ...." That text eliminates all doubt. The team originated in BB 54.

To be fair, just because DC says its a certain way, doesn't actually make it true. You'd probably have to go back to the actual writer to the actual truth.

Scenario 1: Bob Haney (or an editor) says, "Hey it'd be fun to right an issue teaming up these three characters." Bob writes it, and someone (editor or him) says "Hey we should team these guys up more in the future, build a team!"

Scenario 2: Bob (or an editor) says "Hey lets start a team using these characters, lets make the origin story issue 54, and continue on in future issues"

Whichever bosses/marketing type later made 54 the 1st app or origin may not have been privy to the original logic/decisions and made a judgment call. That doesn't make it true, just accepted as truth.

Problem with your argument here is that Bob Haney has given interviews on the subject. And what he said is that Kashdan (the editor) charged him with writing a "junior Justice League" story and that's what he did for BB 54.

I think we can stick a fork in this debate. Frigging Teen Titans 1 states that the history of the Teen Titans starts with BB 54. It also states that what happened in BB 60 was that DC responded to the "call for the addition of Wonder Girl to the teen team ...." That text eliminates all doubt. The team originated in BB 54.

Not to stir the pot here either way but that text does specifically state that they were not "introduced to comicdom" as the "TEEN TITANS" until BB60, once wonder girl was added. Just sayin.....

-J.

To be fair, just because DC says its a certain way, doesn't actually make it true. You'd probably have to go back to the actual writer to the actual truth.

Scenario 1: Bob Haney (or an editor) says, "Hey it'd be fun to right an issue teaming up these three characters." Bob writes it, and someone (editor or him) says "Hey we should team these guys up more in the future, build a team!"

Scenario 2: Bob (or an editor) says "Hey lets start a team using these characters, lets make the origin story issue 54, and continue on in future issues"

Whichever bosses/marketing type later made 54 the 1st app or origin may not have been privy to the original logic/decisions and made a judgment call. That doesn't make it true, just accepted as truth.

Problem with your argument here is that Bob Haney has given interviews on the subject. And what he said is that Kashdan (the editor) charged him with writing a "junior Justice League" story and that's what he did for BB 54.

Exactly. He may have wrote a junior justice league story, but not a Teen Titans story. The Teen Titans 1st appear in 60. How many times do we need to go over this?

Here's what the ENTIRE caption box says:

"Once again, a startling new team of DC heroes has triumphed! Watch BRAVE AND BOLD for NEW teams, NEW adventures, NEW excitement!"

Yep. That's what it says. The first sentence makes clear that DC viewed BB 54 as introducing a "startling new team of DC heroes." A fact confirmed by DC in TT 1.

The second sentence is a plug for readers who liked this story to read future stories. That DC engaged in some hyperbole about whether B&B really would feature more "new teams" is of no moment. It's just puffery. And the puffery fit this issue.

Edited by sfcityduck

Exactly. He may have wrote a junior justice league story, but not a Teen Titans story. The Teen Titans 1st appear in 60. How many times do we need to go over this?

The Teen Titans is the "junior Justice League"! The team was formed in TT 1. The fact that they decided upon a name in BB 60 is great for trademark collectors, but it is not the first appearance of the team. And we'll keep going over this until you stop trying change history to fit your financial dreams!

Except for the paragraph below that states they were joined by Wonder Girl and "introduced to the world as the Teen Titans" in #60. :baiting:

Yep. Wonder Girl was an "addition" to the team formed in BB 54, and that team was named "Teen Titans." How hard is it to grasp that characters/teams can be created and appear before they are named?

Not to stir the pot here either way but that text does specifically state that they were not "introduced to comicdom" as the "TEEN TITANS" until BB60, once wonder girl was added. Just sayin.....

-J.

What it says is that "we took the lead of a number of fans who called for the addition of Wonder Girl to the teen team, and we introduced them to the comicdom as the Teen Titans."

Four important facts to take from TT 1 text comments:

(1) DC views BB 54 as the starting point of the "history of the Teen Titans";

(2) Fans at the time viewed Robin, Kid Flash, and Aqualad as a "team," and lobbied for Wonder Girl to join the team;

(3) DC agreed to make Wonder Girl an "addition" to the "team"; and

(4) They introduced the team name "Teen Titans" in BB 60.