• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the time you went all in on a book...

112 posts in this topic

I bought this book last year for around $5,100, which was quite a bit more than I had expected to pay.

I have had second thoughts about it because it was the reason couldn't afford to donate very much money to endangered species charities last year. I feel like going after it was a little self-indulgent.

It's a beautiful book, and I think it's unlikely I'll ever see a nicer copy, but if I had it to do over again, I would have let it go. There are to many nice books out there to go out on a limb for any particular one.

What a gorgeous Fight 20 you have. Scarce? Check. Bondage cover? Check. Highest graded? Check. Pedigree? Check. Great Colors? Hell yeah!

Think of it this way.... Fight 31 seems to get much of the hype in the Fight run. Fight 20 is scarcer and has its own amazing cover. If you had the 9.2 Fight 31 it would probably be an 8-10k book in this nutty market. You made a great purchase and you have one heck of a book.

Thanks. I do love the book, and I've absorbed the expense at this point, but I did feel guilty when I did my taxes and realized how little I'd given to charity in 2013. This year I've cut back on purchases and actually sold a couple of books, so my spending has been a little more balanced.

I bought this book last year for around $5,100, which was quite a bit more than I had expected to pay.

I have had second thoughts about it because it was the reason couldn't afford to donate very much money to endangered species charities last year. I feel like going after it was a little self-indulgent.

It's a beautiful book, and I think it's unlikely I'll ever see a nicer copy, but if I had it to do over again, I would have let it go. There are to many nice books out there to go out on a limb for any particular one.

What a gorgeous Fight 20 you have. Scarce? Check. Bondage cover? Check. Highest graded? Check. Pedigree? Check. Great Colors? Hell yeah!

Think of it this way.... Fight 31 seems to get much of the hype in the Fight run. Fight 20 is scarcer and has its own amazing cover. If you had the 9.2 Fight 31 it would probably be an 8-10k book in this nutty market. You made a great purchase and you have one heck of a book.

Thanks. I do love the book, and I've absorbed the expense at this point, but I did feel guilty when I did my taxes and realized how little I'd given to charity in 2013. This year I've cut back on purchases and actually sold a couple of books, so my spending has been a little more balanced.

.... I take the easy way out.....a United Way contribution deducted from each check. I know they're top heavy in administration.... but they touch lives EVERYWHERE....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I went all-in on a CGC 8.5 AF 15
yes you did. I remember that one. All chips to the center of the table (thumbs u

Untill you live in a cardboard box and sleep under a bridge - you are not "all in"

that was Brian's situation plus Ramon noodles and spam everyday after that deal. (thumbs u

I'd only go "all-in" on a no-brainer flip. That's the thing, above a certain dollar amount a comic purchase is going to feel more like an investment than a part of my collection, and no matter how blue chip a given book may seem, I can't see tying up too much of my capital in something as ephemeral as a single comic book.

Even the handful of books I still have that are worth maybe in the low four figures each aren't as enjoyable to own as they were when they were worth a few hundred or less, as I find myself thinking "maybe I should sell this", when I pull them out of the box, whereas a book worth under $100 I can still enjoy completely for what it is, and if it got somehow damaged in handling it would only suck a little.

yes you did. I remember that one. All chips to the center of the table (thumbs u

Untill you live in a cardboard box and sleep under a bridge - you are not "all in"

that was Brian's situation plus Ramon noodles and spam everyday after that deal. (thumbs u

Yes I was.. Had to use food stamps to eat lol

Yes I was.. Had to use food stamps to eat lol

Reminds me of a grocery bagger at my local Target telling me about when he went all in on a Amazing Spider-man #1; the excitement he had recalling that story was infectious :)

I'm a bit out of synch here it appears. There are books I'm prepared a bit more than my guess at FMV, but not a whole lot. I figure there's always another rainbow to chase - and I think it's the chase of the 'right' copy that's a lot of the fun. Having watched for a few years now, a lot of big books get recycled. That suggests to me that they either cost too much for that buyer (opportunity cost to owner is too high) or they didn't bring as much pleasure as the $$ demanded. Just my 2c

This is why I listed the questions that I did to try and help someone determine what makes the most sense for them. Not every instance of "all in" involves a collector stretching for a book that they have looked for without success for a number of years and that they can easily afford to pay a premium for because they will get enjoyment from it for a long time.

Come to think of it, I believe I went all in for this one last month

MoreFunComics548_5_zps4e92258f.jpg

That's such a good example, Bill...... I'd have trouble keeping that in a slab, though. Books from that period are tough as boot leather and that one would stay 8.5 for decades..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Come to think of it, I believe I went all in for this one last month

MoreFunComics548_5_zps4e92258f.jpg

When you are ready to get all out of it please give me a shout :)

I think that's your longest post by several orders of magnitude!

y
I'll play the wet blanket as I think the only answer is "it depends."

Is the price you're willing to pay "mad money" that you'd splurge on some other conspicuous consumption that you wouldn't mind foregoing?

Is the book essential to what makes your collection special?

Will the purchase take up most or all of your budget for the year and you comfortable with what you would give up?

Would you rather have the pedigree kitten in the window of the pet store or a few more bargain-priced kittens off of Craig's list?

Are you confident you understand the market well enough to know how scarce it is and how much of a premium you would be paying?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Market shmarket! Buy the danged book :makepoint:

Ok. Do whatever it takes.

Sell your car. Mortgage your home. Run over grandma for the inheritance.

Happy now? :taptaptap:

Quite

lol awesome!! do it!! do it!!

I did once pay 10x Guide for a book. :blush:

y
I'll play the wet blanket as I think the only answer is "it depends."

Is the price you're willing to pay "mad money" that you'd splurge on some other conspicuous consumption that you wouldn't mind foregoing?

Is the book essential to what makes your collection special?

Will the purchase take up most or all of your budget for the year and you comfortable with what you would give up?

Would you rather have the pedigree kitten in the window of the pet store or a few more bargain-priced kittens off of Craig's list?

Are you confident you understand the market well enough to know how scarce it is and how much of a premium you would be paying?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

$10 for a $1 book doesn't count buddy!

:jokealert:

Market shmarket! Buy the danged book :makepoint:

Ok. Do whatever it takes.

Sell your car. Mortgage your home. Run over grandma for the inheritance.

Happy now? :taptaptap:

Quite

lol awesome!! do it!! do it!!

I did once pay 10x Guide for a book. :blush:

Paying $10 for a $1 book doesn't count buddy!

:jokealert:

Paying $10 for a $1 book doesn't count buddy!

Busted :tonofbricks:

Actually, you weren't that far off. It was $105 in the Guide. :grin:

I paid about 5X more than I've paid for a single book for this Peanuts 1. I've paid the same or more for books I planned to resell but since this is going in the private collection the $$ is basically all out.

It was a pretty good deal and it helped that I saw the 6.5 for sale at Balticon (it didn't sell though) for more than I paid. So maybe not all in, but a big dollar book; for me anyway.

I'm also a sucker for this type of writeup going over the history of Peanuts in comic books. Immediately makes me want to buy the book.

http://www.comicartville.com/peanutscomics.htm

"It's incredibly facinating how these characters have evolved and developed over the lifetime of this strip. An interesting book worth mentioning now was a one-shot comic from 1953-54 titled PEANUTS which also contained strip reprints such as "Willie", "Ferdinand", and "Strange As It Seems", as well as the earliest "Peanuts" strip reprints I've ever seen in a comic book. From the dawn of the strip, perhaps as early as late 1950 or early 1951, these characters as previously mentioned, appear very primative, almost prototypes of the characters they would very shortly evolve to. In some panels Charlie Brown even appears without his trademark black zig-zag on his shirt! This book is very hard to find despite its photo-journal listing as "average scarcity", and higher grade copies are probably almost non-existent. It sports a delightful cover (the first all "Peanuts" cover) depicting the Peanuts gang playing baseball indoors and has taken me five years to finally locate a copy. I'm not exactly sure where this book fits into the earliest "Peanuts" chronology. The indicia simply states "Peanuts No. 1, Comics on Parade" without a month or year designation. The material is copyrighted up to 1953 by United Feature Syndicate. My guess is that it just pre-dated TIP TOP #184 and FRITZI RITZ #32 (both Jan/Feb, 1954) and followed TIP TOPPER #26 Dec/Jan, 1953, the final TIP TOPPER appearance. Any other suggestions are welcome."

scan0384.jpg

scan0382.jpg

scan0383.jpg

Really enjoyed reading the stories in this thread. Never pulled the trigger on a major HG key, but definitely went out of my comfort zone for a low grade TOS 39 and a mid grade CSS 22. Absolute total rush throwing a big (for me) sniper bid in the dying seconds and waiting for the finale. Addictive.

I may need a twelve step meeting for this........