• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:14 PM, zhamlau said:

Saw the movie, it was good. It was about 20 minutes to long and the dialogue got a little wooden giving some parts a bit of a boring feel. Also some parts were a little heavy cheesy like "ultra-rhino" and riding in the car seat with no car. Overall i'd put this in the middle of the pack. The batting order for me is...

(list here)

You lost all credibility when you put Iron Man 3 head of Black Panther:baiting:.

***You also need to move Iron Man 1 up on your list (just for the fact that it launched the MCU)

By the way, Chadwick Boseman was on The Daily Show the other night.

What a humble, respectful individual. He did such a wonderful job giving credit to his cast members and the production crew, and represented the movie so positively. Even the way he described the rationale for why some of the actor accents differed, conveying the various influences throughout the content. You could tell he was extremely immersed in not only his own character, but the entire movie. Even when he talked about differing with Killmonger, his sharing that there truly is no villain in this movie - just differing sides - was really interesting how they approached this film. Marvel really delivered selecting this actor as T’Challa.

And remember when they first introduced him. He was so quiet to the point of being introverted. I was concerned. Not anymore.

17 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

You lost all credibility when you put Iron Man 3 head of Black Panther:baiting:.

***You also need to move Iron Man 1 up on your list (just for the fact that it launched the MCU)

See i liked IM3 alot. I loved the entire scene of him having to fight with just pieces of armor. Also the entire narrative was him having almost everything stripped from him and getting punched in the mouth...hard...he came back as a better character and man. He did what all great marvel comic heroes do, come to the point they just say to themselves "whatever the cost to me, I have to get this done for the sake of others. If I die I die standing with my eyes open and fist clenched". That's the core of the hero archetype I grew up with, IM3 hits that flush so it gets a lot of respect from me. It has flaws hence it not being near the top but it fully accomplishes its goal and it does it in a human honest way.

10 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I think if anything Black Panther stands alone

It does. For African American people this movie means a lot more than a super-hero movie. Something about this movie resonated with almost the entire aa community in america and I'm pretty sure that the majority of them are not super hero fans.

any aa person I spoke with, either at work, online, friends, family... all said they either saw the movie or are going to see it. 

I think we need to start comparing this movie with other important movies that appealed to black folks than with super heroes movies. Probably too early to tell how it would rank in history, but I'm pretty darn sure it will be very very high

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, zhamlau said:

Saw the movie, it was good. It was about 20 minutes to long and the dialogue got a little wooden giving some parts a bit of a boring feel. Also some parts were a little heavy cheesy like "ultra-rhino" and riding in the car seat with no car. Overall i'd put this in the middle of the pack. The batting order for me is...

1. Captain America 3

2. Guardians of the Galaxy 1

3. Captain America 2

4. Avengers 1

5. Thor 3

6. Dr. Strange

7. Iron Man 1

8. Ant-man 1

9. Iron Man 3

10. Guardians of the Galaxy 2

11. Spider-man 1

12. Captain America 1

13. Black Panther

14. Thor 1

15. Avengers 2

16. Thor 2

17. The Incredible Hulk

18. Iron Man 2

1) Captain America: Civil War
2) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3) Avengers
4) Guardians of the Galaxy
5) Iron Man
6) Black Panther

I could extend the list, but we're here to talk about BP.  Avengers gets the 3rd spot because it was the first time we saw all these heroes together.  Iron Man at 5 because it started it all.  Black Panther has its faults (some poor CG, some plot issues), but I keep telling my friends that I think it's the most important Marvel movie to date.  Not from a story perspective.  But because the socio/political commentary is so relevant.  You may agree/disagree with what the movie is saying, but at the end of the day, it means the movie is transcending beyond a simple action film and is making you think.  That opens the door to people who would otherwise not watch it.  Just like how The Dark Knight was a psychological analysis of the mind.  How Logan was about father/son and father/daughter relationships.  Basically, it's one of the rare superhero movies that transcends the genre.

Alright, I guess if you're wondering...

7) Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
8) Spider-Man: Homecoming
9) Captain America: The First Avenger
10) Avengers: Age of Ultron (you're thinking "What?!  This guys crazy."  Sure there was a lot of setting up for future films with all the dream sequences.  And Ultron was ultimately a disappointing villain.  But it introduced Wanda and Vision who played larger roles in Civil War)
11) Iron Man 3 (It was great seeing Tony have to use his head instead of relying on a suit of armor)
12) Thor
13) Doctor Strange
14) Thor: Ragnarok (alright, now you're thinking "now I KNOW this guy is crazy!"  Hear me out, Ragnarok was basically a Thor movie dressed like GotG.  Guess what?  We already have 2 of those movies.  They're called GotG and GotG, Vol. 2)
15) Ant-Man (this one might be unfairly low.  I only saw the movie once.  I need to revisit and possibly move it higher.)
16) The Incredible Hulk
17) Thor 2: Dark World
18) Iron Man 2

19 hours ago, zhamlau said:

See i liked IM3 alot. I loved the entire scene of him having to fight with just pieces of armor. Also the entire narrative was him having almost everything stripped from him and getting punched in the mouth...hard...he came back as a better character and man. He did what all great marvel comic heroes do, come to the point they just say to themselves "whatever the cost to me, I have to get this done for the sake of others. If I die I die standing with my eyes open and fist clenched". That's the core of the hero archetype I grew up with, IM3 hits that flush so it gets a lot of respect from me. It has flaws hence it not being near the top but it fully accomplishes its goal and it does it in a human honest way.

This.

Thank you.

It continually baffles me that folks on this board by and large seem to rank Iron Man 3 below Iron Man 2.

My expectations for Iron Man 2 were sky-high, with the introduction of the Black Widow, Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer, Cheadle as the new Rhodey, and Mickey Rourke as Whiplash.

Instead we got a jumbled mess of a movie, Rourke (and his character) were wasted, and after the first action scene (at the racetrack) there were no real stakes -- we never actually  believed Tony or Rhodey were in danger.

In contrast, most of Iron Man 3 deals with Tony Stark the man -- suffering from PTSD from the battle of New York in The Avengers, de-powered, and broken. The entire middle section he's a humbled, stripped-down man who has to figure out just how heroic he really is without the suit.

Even better -- the plot sets this up without taking the easy route -- which would have been the alcoholic spiral portrayed in Demon in a Bottle.

Instead, they went with Extremis, and it works -- largely up until the last scene when Pepper suddenly gets Lady Iron Man powers.

Comic fans rant about the Mandarin twist, but at the end of the day, it's a minor part of the story.

I also found it brilliant and subversive -- and one of the reason it works is Mandarin himself sucks as a villain -- he's an out-dated racist Fu Manchu rip-off that doesn't really work in this day and age. And -- unlike the Joker, Loki, or even the Red Skull -- he's never been three dimensional enough to actually be popular in his own right. So there's little harm in neutralizing his racist caricature with a clever twist.

I think the movie would have been better if Shane Black had been allowed to keep Maya as the primary villain rather than Killian, but as it stands it was a great Iron Man movie and best exploration of Tony Stark to-date.

Loved the Mandarin twist. Only reason I see to get your nerd panties in a bunch over this would be if you lost money trying to flip TOS#50 and in that case, good-on-you.

The post IronMan3 short with the Mandarin in Jail is my favorite Marvel extra scene by far.

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

Thank you.

It continually baffles me that folks on this board by and large seem to rank Iron Man 3 below Iron Man 2.

My expectations for Iron Man 2 were sky-high, with the introduction of the Black Widow, Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer, Cheadle as the new Rhodey, and Mickey Rourke as Whiplash.

Instead we got a jumbled mess of a movie, Rourke (and his character) were wasted, and after the first action scene (at the racetrack) there were no real stakes -- we never actually  believed Tony or Rhodey were in danger.

In contrast, most of Iron Man 3 deals with Tony Stark the man -- suffering from PTSD from the battle of New York in The Avengers, de-powered, and broken. The entire middle section he's a humbled, stripped-down man who has to figure out just how heroic he really is without the suit.

Even better -- the plot sets this up without taking the easy route -- which would have been the alcoholic spiral portrayed in Demon in a Bottle.

Instead, they went with Extremis, and it works -- largely up until the last scene when Pepper suddenly gets Lady Iron Man powers.

Comic fans rant about the Mandarin twist, but at the end of the day, it's a minor part of the story.

I also found it brilliant and subversive -- and one of the reason it works is Mandarin himself sucks as a villain -- he's an out-dated racist Fu Manchu rip-off that doesn't really work in this day and age. And -- unlike the Joker, Loki, or even the Red Skull -- he's never been three dimensional enough to actually be popular in his own right. So there's little harm in neutralizing his racist caricature with a clever twist.

I think the movie would have been better if Shane Black had been allowed to keep Maya as the primary villain rather than Killian, but as it stands it was a great Iron Man movie and best exploration of Tony Stark to-date.

This 100% and the original post it quotes from.

On 3/2/2018 at 9:13 AM, Bosco685 said:

I think if anything Black Panther stands alone, but as a solid proving ground to Hollywood its assumptions Black films will do poorly overseas (Japan and China pending).

Ant-Man and the Wasp I think will do just fine. Especially because of the Wasp standing out in the trailers, meaning they didn't portray her as some wallflower just learning to take on villains while in awe of Ant-Man. She is the hero!

Agreed, I loved the first Ant-Man. If the 2nd one is about as good as the first it will be far better than BP.

20 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

1) Captain America: Civil War
2) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3) Avengers
4) Guardians of the Galaxy
5) Iron Man
6) Black Panther

I could extend the list, but we're here to talk about BP.  Avengers gets the 3rd spot because it was the first time we saw all these heroes together.  Iron Man at 5 because it started it all.  Black Panther has its faults (some poor CG, some plot issues), but I keep telling my friends that I think it's the most important Marvel movie to date.  Not from a story perspective.  But because the socio/political commentary is so relevant.  You may agree/disagree with what the movie is saying, but at the end of the day, it means the movie is transcending beyond a simple action film and is making you think.  That opens the door to people who would otherwise not watch it.  Just like how The Dark Knight was a psychological analysis of the mind.  How Logan was about father/son and father/daughter relationships.  Basically, it's one of the rare superhero movies that transcends the genre.

Alright, I guess if you're wondering...

7) Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
8) Spider-Man: Homecoming
9) Captain America: The First Avenger
10) Avengers: Age of Ultron (you're thinking "What?!  This guys crazy."  Sure there was a lot of setting up for future films with all the dream sequences.  And Ultron was ultimately a disappointing villain.  But it introduced Wanda and Vision who played larger roles in Civil War)
11) Iron Man 3 (It was great seeing Tony have to use his head instead of relying on a suit of armor)
12) Thor
13) Doctor Strange
14) Thor: Ragnarok (alright, now you're thinking "now I KNOW this guy is crazy!"  Hear me out, Ragnarok was basically a Thor movie dressed like GotG.  Guess what?  We already have 2 of those movies.  They're called GotG and GotG, Vol. 2)
15) Ant-Man (this one might be unfairly low.  I only saw the movie once.  I need to revisit and possibly move it higher.)
16) The Incredible Hulk
17) Thor 2: Dark World
18) Iron Man 2

Thor above ragnarok and Ant-man...sacre bleu!

everyone's list is going to be different:

1)BP

2)GOTG

3)IM

4)Cap: WS

5)Thor: Rag

6) S-M: HC

7)Avengers

8)Cap: CW

9) GOTG 2

10)Cap: FA

11)Dr. Strange

12)AoU

13)IM 2

14)IM 3

15-18) A-M, Thor 1, Thor 2, IH - not interested enough to see

22 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Good point...I was a disappointed with Rag.  1 good fight scene (Thor & Hulk), wasted Surter (& Hela), too much attempted humor...I liked the 1st one better.

1 hour ago, Mystafo said:

Good point...I was a disappointed with Rag.  1 good fight scene (Thor & Hulk), wasted Surter (& Hela), too much attempted humor...I liked the 1st one better.

3 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Thor above ragnarok and Ant-man...sacre bleu!

Thor 1 was definitely better.  Mind you, it was far from a perfect movie, but I really liked how it was originally pitched as a sort of Marvel meets Lord of the Rings fantasy film.  And it certainly started off that way with the flashback/backstory.  Sir Anthony Hopkins as Odin had a lot of gravitas.  The jokes playing on a man out of place felt more natural and less in your face.  And I like how Thor and Loki are portrayed in a more serious tone in the first movie as opposed to the more light hearted jokesters we get by the third film.

Ragnarok killed off side characters like red shirted away crew members.  The CG was terrible (the Odin scene in particular).  Valkyrie didn't really connect with me until after her backstory was revealed, but by then, it was already near the end of the film.  And yeah, the talented Cate Blanchett's turn as Hela lacked the same depth of Killmonger (gotta bring it back to BP since we're in a BP thread :P)

(NOTE: I should probably omit AntMan from my list until I watch it again since the only thing I remember about it was I didn't like Yellowjacket...at all.)

7 hours ago, Mystafo said:

6 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Ragnarok killed off side characters like red shirted away crew members.  The CG was terrible (the Odin scene in particular).  Valkyrie didn't really connect with me until after her backstory was revealed, but by then, it was already near the end of the film.  And yeah, the talented Cate Blanchett's turn as Hela lacked the same depth of Killmonger (gotta bring it back to BP since we're in a BP thread :P)

(NOTE: I should probably omit AntMan from my list until I watch it again since the only thing I remember about it was I didn't like Yellowjacket...at all.)

Now that I own the Digital HD of Ragnarok, I was able to watch it again. Although I like a portion of the humor, it really is bugging me how carelessly they killed off supporting characters that helped make Thor a recognized powerhouse in the MCU. I have to agree with ExNihilo as I couldn't put my finger on it - but that is a perfect reference here inhow Taika Waititi 'Red Shirted' characters such as Volstagg, Hogun, Fandral and the Asgard army. Not to say it is a bad movie.

My list (having not seen Black Panther yet):

1) Captain America: Winter Soldier

2) Guardians of the Galaxy

3) The Avengers (2012)

4) Iron Man (2008)

5) Thor (2011) - I consider this to be a solid origin movie, with memorable characters, entertaining story and even a soundtrack fitting to the story.

6) Captain America: Civil War - I really think Zemo's plan was more successful than people realize, though luck was excessive in lining everything up.

7) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Just not as solid as the first movie, though entertaining.

8) Ant-Man - Enjoyed the heist theme, along with the overall casting.

9) Doctor Strange - One of my favorite characters I enjoyed reading. So seeing this pulled together so solidly was mind-blowing.

10) Avengers: Age of Ultron - The creation of Vision - never dreamed of seeing this in my lifetime.

11) Thor: Ragnarok - Seeing characters like Hela and the Executioner come to life was great. Jeff Goldblum rules! But all those Red Shirts.

12) Captain America: The First Avenger - Though a dragged-out story, this helped establish one of the best castings. Have to recognize this.

13) Spider-Man: Homecoming - Fantastic casting with Michael Keaton.

14) Iron Man 2 - I liked Sam Rockwell in this, along with introducing Black Widow.

15) Iron Man 3 - Nutty Professor portrayal of Aldrich Killian, massive missed opportunity with Maya Hansen and horrible Mandarin twist. But it gave us a fantastic Marvel One-Shot afterwards.

16) The Incredible Hulk - A hard lesson learned early by on Kevin Feige in allowing the lead actor to rewrite a -script. And the movie showed this.

17) Thor 2: Dark World - Patty Jenkins could have made this a fitting follow-up to a solid origin movie. This is really hard to go back and revisit.

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Although I like a portion of the humor, it really is bugging me how carelessly they killed off supporting characters that helped make Thor a recognized powerhouse in the MCU. I have to agree with ExNihilo as I couldn't put my finger on it - but that is a perfect reference here inhow Taika Waititi 'Red Shirted' characters such as Volstagg, Hogun, Fandral and the Asgard army

The film makers are not interested in keeping continuity for decades and want only to tell there story, usually in that 3 movie arc. So yes they just killed them all off, but they were telling the story of Ragnarok so everyone SHOULD die. I enjoyed Sif and The Warriors Three (and missed Baldur) but it is what it is, and in this case it is a movie trilogy designed to END. They are the Fellowship members destined to die.