• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

That's brutal.  I mean, if she knows you like comics, I would hope she would have the presence of mind to go watch it with you sooner so as to avoid spoilers, reviews, hype.  Especially after the opening weekend.  After 3 weeks, pyschologically, the hype must continue to build until it reaches a point where the movie can't possibly meet those lofty expectations.

It's all good. She enjoys them too. But when you have twin boys not ready yet for these movies, makes it a little tough to keep up with the first-at-the-theater standard of the old days.

:cry:

1 minute ago, goldust40 said:
40 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:
58 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

Great, let's have loads more, and could we leave the politics out of it next time?

While I admire your idealism and hope there's a far-off day akin to Gene Roddenberry's vision of humanity in Star Trek where we don't draw tribal lines, that's not how human beings work circa 2018.  Or are likely to even circa 2500.

Roddenberry thought there might've been a chance by the 23rd century. We'll just have to wait...

He had Zefram Cochrane achieving light speed and first contact with Vulcans by 2063, so we've got a LOT of work to do in not much time to keep up with his timeline.  :busy:  It's safe to say he was overly-optimistic with his timeframe and at minimum underestimated how long things might take by at least a few centuries.

55 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I can't wait to see all the Black Panther costumes this Halloween.  :headbang:

Come to think of it I know I saw one or two this past Halloween, forgot about that.  In retrospect I'm somewhat surprised they were available so long before the film's release, but I guess his appearance in Civil War put it on the Disney marketing map last year.

1 hour ago, goldust40 said:

What is so pioneering about this film, dammit?? There's been plenty of black cinema before, some of it excellent, some of it less so.

I don't believe the adjective 'plenty' applies.  What other blockbuster hits sported a cast of hundreds of actors of black African descent?  And a black creative team to boot?  African Americans feel under-represented in film (as do women of a certain age or of a certain body type), so what do you know that they don't?  And don't tell me 'Boyz in the Hood' or 'New Jack City' or 'Straight Outta Compton' or 'The Color Purple' are enough.

Edited by namisgr

Box Office Mojo claims the film only made $3.5 million over its first week and a half in South Africa, and it doesn't list revenue from any other African nations (for this film or any other), implying that the African continent doesn't know who Black Panther is and doesn't much care.  Do we just not have a view of African cinema, or is it barely a thing?  I lean towards it existing but we just have no view of it because I've heard in the past that Egypt has a booming film industry and theater crowd relative to most other Middle Eastern and African nations yet I've never seen box office revenue for them.

On a related note, anyone know who the most famous African mythical heroes are past or present?  I'm thinking here of African equivalents to Odysseus, or Lancelot, or Beowulf, or Luke Skywalker.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

In the moment he declared his intention I was all for it, but then I realized that the period of colonization is now over, so what, exactly, would Africa do with weapons more advanced than all the other countries?  I couldn't rule out world domination as his ultimate goal, but from what I could tell they didn't fully explore it enough to be sure.

I thought Kilmongers intentions were somewhat (loosely) addressed when Ross commented that Kilmongers CIA training focused on infiltrating regimes and destabilizing power structures.

Edited by Hekla
spelling

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

Get movie pass, $90 at costco for a full year.  My wife and I got it, and we've seen 4 movies each since the begging of the year, and have not had to pay any more $$.

I will check it out at Costco if it offers what you get. It surprises me.

2 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

I will check it out at Costco if it offers what you get. It surprises me.

I just checked costco's site, and they don't offer the promotion anymore.

But you can just buy directly from Moviepass for $105 for a full year, so if you see 1 movie a month you're ahead of the game.

https://www.moviepass.com

2 minutes ago, Hekla said:

In the moment he declared his intention I was all for it, but then I realized that the period of colonization is now over, so what, exactly, would Africa do with weapons more advanced than all the other countries?  I couldn't rule out world domination as his ultimate goal, but from what I could tell they didn't fully explore it enough to be sure.

I thought Kilmongers intentions were somewhat (loosely) addressed when Ross commented that Kilmongers CIA training focused on infiltrating regimes and destabilizing power structures.

Wasn't that his response to the reason that Killmonger burned all the vibranium lillies that give the Black Panther his powers?  I remember that line, but I don't remember the context now and I'm still not sure how it indicates what his ultimate goal would be.

28 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Box Office Mojo claims the film only made $3.5 million over its first week and a half in South Africa, and it doesn't list revenue from any other African nations (for this film or any other), implying that the African continent doesn't know who Black Panther is and doesn't much care.  Do we just not have a view of African cinema, or is it barely a thing?  I lean towards it existing but we just have no view of it because I've heard in the past that Egypt has a booming film industry and theater crowd relative to most other Middle Eastern and African nations yet I've never seen box office revenue for them.

On a related note, anyone know who the most famous African mythical heroes are past or present?  I'm thinking here of African equivalents to Odysseus, or Lancelot, or Beowulf, or Luke Skywalker.

I'm not too surprised. There are a fraction of the number of movie screens in sub-Saharan Africa vs. the US. However TV's are pretty common in the larger metro areas. Re: African myths, it seems to be similar to Native American myths in that animals are the protagonist/antagonists.

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Wasn't that his response to the reason that Killmonger burned all the vibranium lillies that give the Black Panther his powers?  I remember that line, but I don't remember the context now and I'm still not sure how it indicates what his ultimate goal would be.

Actually you may be right as far as the timing of the line, but I still took it that Kilmonger forte was seeding chaos. I don't know if there was an ultimate goal

3 hours ago, goldust40 said:

What is so pioneering about this film, dammit?? There's been plenty of black cinema before, some of it excellent, some of it less so. So there's been a dearth of action heroes (but not a complete absence) who are of African descent? Great, let's have loads more, and could we leave the politics out of it next time?

I would like to know how a genre film of limited artistic ambition will open doors in terms of culturally varied films being made when there are already a vast amount of them already. Once again, you're turning a super-hero film into a cause celebre and a political catalyst for something, but you're not sure what it is.

There was a moment during last nights oscars where they talked about doors opening etc. they referenced Thelma and Louise and how that movie was going to change how Hollywood looked at women etc 

plenty of other films like you said have been more significant, far more powerful yet have had little impact in real change

the reality here is that Disney has found a formula to mass market an idea that the population has decided to consume without question 

I don’t doubt the money is any good, I just doubt that the movie is groundbreaking as some others have made it seem

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

I don't believe the adjective 'plenty' applies.  What other blockbuster hits sported a cast of hundreds of actors of black African descent?  And a black creative team to boot?  African Americans feel under-represented in film (as do women of a certain age or of a certain body type), so what do you know that they don't?  And don't tell me 'Boyz in the Hood' or 'New Jack City' or 'Straight Outta Compton' or 'The Color Purple' are enough.

i believe you are forgetting the oeuvre of Tyler Madea meh

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

There was a moment during last nights oscars where they talked about doors opening etc. they referenced Thelma and Louise and how that movie was going to change how Hollywood looked at women etc 

plenty of other films like you said have been more significant, far more powerful yet have had little impact in real change

the reality here is that Disney has found a formula to mass market an idea that the population has decided to consume without question 

I don’t doubt the money is any good, I just doubt that the movie is groundbreaking as some others have made it seem

spoken by someone who has no interest and hasn't seen it :golfclap:

I'm not sure what regions specifically count as "West and East Africa", but BP is the highest grossing film of all time amongst the countries that make up those zones.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/black-panther-third-weekend-red-sparrow-death-wish-operation-red-sea-detective-chinatown-2-international-box-office-1202310277/

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

I saw an interview with the cast mentioned that it wasn't just a largely black cast.  But the fact that they were portraying characters that children could look up to.  They weren't criminals, drug dealers, slaves, etc.  Instead, they got to portray, strong warrior women, scientists, roles that promoted strong African heritage/traditional themes, etc.

16 minutes ago, bane said:

Familiar to your posts in every DC related thread meh

Hey, he is still planning on posting a detailed review in the Justice League thread. Just hold your breath.

30 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I saw an interview with the cast mentioned that it wasn't just a largely black cast.  But the fact that they were portraying characters that children could look up to.  They weren't criminals, drug dealers, slaves, etc.  Instead, they got to portray, strong warrior women, scientists, roles that promoted strong African heritage/traditional themes, etc.

Agree and understood.  That's why I mentioned four movies that portrayed African Americans as drug dealers, thugs, or slaves.