• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Yep it's real realistic that a crippled guy can strap on some super leg braces and become an awesome fighter. Absolutely. It hurts to move his legs but if they are jerked forward by motors-that doesn't hurt.

Yep it's real realistic that a crippled guy can strap on some super leg braces and become an awesome fighter. Absolutely. It hurts to move his legs but if they are jerked forward by motors-that doesn't hurt.
:roflmao:

Ok, which movie was that in? Are we still talking about the Nolan Batman's? I don't remember that.

Or are we talking about Rhodey at the end of CW using braces/motors to help rehab him?

Nah, BvS had more issues than that.

Civil War had some brutally bad fight editing/speeding up and the story was weak. Two teams just running at each other at the airport like kids fighting in grade 2 at the school yard? lol

There is a reason that Civil War is lagging some of the other, better, Marvel flicks at the box office despite the big numbers in China. It is a decent movie, but not a great one.

Presently, Civil War is 23rd All Time Domestic & 12th All Time Worldwide.

According to you these stats are just decent.

Any sensible person would agree a RT rating of 90% & One Billion in the BO is a great & successful movie.

Hey...I live in Toronto, my standards aren't that high!

Well, to be fair, it's sort of inexcusable that Civil War got smoked at the box office by Iron Man 3.

Marvel spent much more money on it, it got (a bit) better reviews, and they literally threw the kitchen sink at the story, what with Black Panther, Spidey, Ant-Man, etc.

As a Captain America movie, it's superb; but as Avengers 3 it's a disappointment -- the public at large clearly enjoyed Iron Man 3 more.

(Which I'm actually okay with, as Shane Black's a god. And his Mandarin twist was genius.)

It was one knee and it lacked a little cartilage, that's all. No biggie. Bruce made it look worse than it was, what with that cane and all. Just part of the façade that is Bruce Wayne. And sure, it's realistic that billions of dollars can buy a hydraulic leg and some top of the range painkillers.

Ok, which movie was that in? Are we still talking about the Nolan Batman's? I don't remember that.

Or are we talking about Rhodey at the end of CW using braces/motors to help rehab him?

The Dark Knight Rises.

Civil War had some brutally bad fight editing/speeding up and the story was weak. Two teams just running at each other at the airport like kids fighting in grade 2 at the school yard? lol

There is a reason that Civil War is lagging some of the other, better, Marvel flicks at the box office despite the big numbers in China. It is a decent movie, but not a great one.

Any sensible person would agree a RT rating of 90% & One Billion in the BO is a great & successful movie.

Well, to be fair, it's sort of inexcusable that Civil War got smoked at the box office by Iron Man 3.

Marvel spent much more money on it, it got (a bit) better reviews, and they literally threw the kitchen sink at the story, what with Black Panther, Spidey, Ant-Man, etc.

As a Captain America movie, it's superb; but as Avengers 3 it's a disappointment -- the public at large clearly enjoyed Iron Man 3 more.

(Which I'm actually okay with, as Shane Black's a god. And his Mandarin twist was genius.)

I don't think Civil War is getting smoked by Iron Man 3 in the BO.

CW is on day 33 & IM3 had a theatrical run of over 70 days.

CW is at $390M (dom) & $1.13B (WW) and IM3 made $409M (dom) & $1.21B (WW).

Civil War was never Avengers3, that's why the title is Captain America: Civil War.

And the Mandarin twist was great!

I think 'smoked' is a bit of a stretch. Civil War looks like it will just about match the domestic gross of IM3, and is coming close to the worldwide gross as well.

Considering IM3 was the first film playing off the success of The Avengers, in a way less crowded release schedule overall, I don't understand at all how Civil War can be considered a disappointment.

I've seen multiple posts from people saying BvS was a success despite not even hitting $900K, but somehow CW is a failure at $1.1B and counting. (shrug)

And it's done better than any of the Nolan movie, which are apparently the best.

I don't think Marvel's upset. Besides, if it surpasses IM3, Marvel will probably lose money by having to give RDJ another bonus.

Edit - pike beat me to some of this point. :sumo:

I don't think Civil War is getting smoked by Iron Man 3 in the BO.

CW is on day 33 & IM3 had a theatrical run of over 70 days.

CW is at $390M (dom) & $1.13B (WW) and IM3 made $409M (dom) & $1.21B (WW).

Civil War was never Avengers3, that's why the title is Captain America: Civil War.

And the Mandarin twist was great!

I realize I live outside of Canada. But for some reason, I was taught bigger numbers mean BIGGER NUMBERS.

:baiting:

7rPlul1.png

UlFsuG6.png

The Dark Knight Rises.

I could'a swore Bane crippled Batman by injuring his back, perhaps not to the degree as in the comics.

For you big Marvel movie analysis folks that probably chart all these things - anyone go back and analyze what it cost then versus now to make those billion-plus movies based on inflation-adjusted USD? Probably not, because Box Office Mojo isn't spoon-feeding that information to you.

NjEbiB3.png

For the $250 MM Marvel Studios had to invest to make $1.13 B (4.5X) today, it cost them $205.4 MM back in 2013 to make $1.24 B (6.1X budget). That's going the wrong way when you consider this is a well-established franchise with characters people know and love.

I know. 'But it beat BvS...yadda, yadda, yadda.'

(:

Like was mentioned, it could be the change in the movie market where there are so many of these now, all that eye candy gets distracting. Plus the early excitement wears off until the next big 'thing' shows up.

Exactly.

Bosco's on point.

But even without that, I doubt Civil War has the extra $100 million worldwide it needs left in the tank to match Iron Man 3 -- and that's without adjusting for either inflation, or it's 25% bigger budget (exclusive of the almost assuredly-larger advertising/marketing add-on & whatever they agreed to pay RDJ to reprise his role).

It's going to start fading fast with the constant onslaught of summer movies from here on out.

And...the next big thing, you ask?

This Friday has the mid-size trifecta:

Now You See Me 2

The Conjuring 2

Warcraft

(All will perform solidly but I think Warcraft will bomb)

Next week: Finding Dory (potentially another $1 bn. plus Disney film)

Week following: Independence Day 2

July 1: a crazy trifecta of:

The BFG (Spielberg!)

Legend of Tarzan

The Purge 3.

So it'll be gone by July 4, with a solid 5-6 would-be summer blockbusters being released between now & then.

For you big Marvel movie analysis folks that probably chart all these things - anyone go back and analyze what it cost then versus now to make those billion-plus movies based on inflation-adjusted USD? Probably not, because Box Office Mojo isn't spoon-feeding that information to you.

NjEbiB3.png

For the $250 MM Marvel Studios had to invest to make $1.13 B (4.5X) today, it cost them $205.4 MM back in 2013 to make $1.24 B (6.1X budget). That's going the wrong way when you consider this is a well-established franchise with characters people know and love.

(:

Like was mentioned, it could be the change in the movie market where there are so many of these now, all that eye candy gets distracting. Plus the early excitement wears off until the next big 'thing' shows up.

It's all a matter of perspective:

The First Captain America had a multiple of 2.6 on a $140MM budget.

The Second Captain America had a multiple of 4.2 on a $170MM budget.

The Third Captain America has a multiple of 4.5 (and counting?) on a $250MM budget.

This data indicates the exact opposite of diminishing returns (or going "the wrong way"). :)

-J.

NjEbiB3.png

(:

The Third Captain America has a multiple of 4.5 (and counting?) on a $250MM budget.

This data indicates the exact opposite of diminishing returns (or going "the wrong way"). :)

-J.

I agree, there's a lot of data to look at in different ways. I don't think anyone expects Thor 3 or ant man 2 to go $1b

NjEbiB3.png

(:

-J.

Sure. You're probably right. Feige asked Disney for an Avengers-level budget, but then told the board of directors, "Now you can't hold me to the 5.6x to 6.Xx those movies made."

:baiting:

The Dark Knight Rises.

I could'a swore Bane crippled Batman by injuring his back, perhaps not to the degree as in the comics.

Spot on. That was put right with some painful looking, homemade chiropractic treatment. The leg brace was used earlier in the movie to support Bruce's dodgy knee.

...I've seen multiple posts from people saying BvS was a success despite not even hitting $900K, but somehow CW is a failure at $1.1B and counting. (shrug) ...

lol

Welcome to the Boards!

;)