• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

:eyeroll:

Good lord, are you going to follow every comment I make in this section?

Please don't try to justify anything to me because I'm not buying. I just didn't find his portrayal very interesting, I apologize. I like the actor, and I think some interesting things have been done with the character, though I do not think that happened here in this movie.

Would it make you feel better if I said I found it overall a fun movie and I was able to enjoy quite a bit of it?

if you don't want people responding to your comments, don't make them. i completely agree with Bosco in that Zemo was handled greatly. Crossbones on the other hand was far underused.

Received my Civil War DVD yesterday from Amazon, and had a chance to watch it again last night. Black Panther had some really effective and solid lines in that movie throughout. But that final one with Zemo really tops it off so well after all that calamity.

n1Smd9G.jpg

Still, the events of the movie trouble me, as how would Tony Stark ever forgive Steve Rogers for taking the side of the man that killed his parents? Even with that little note in the end telling Stark he will be there for him when needed.

It didn't ring true, especially after Stark's 'I don't care, he killed my mom! ' exclamation against the Winter Soldier. He'd be more or less just as angry with Cap's deception, and not anywhere near so forgiving so quickly.

It didn't ring true, especially after Stark's 'I don't care, he killed my mom! ' exclamation against the Winter Soldier. He'd be more or less just as angry with Cap's deception, and not anywhere near so forgiving so quickly.

What time frame are you using?

I assume that it has been weeks, if not months since their "battle".

Once you cool off and think it through rationally, you can forgive. I totally get the heat of the moment of it all, that's when you don't think and are hurting the worst. It doesn't last forever.

Jim

Once you cool off and think it through rationally, you can forgive. I totally get the heat of the moment of it all, that's when you don't think and are hurting the worst. It doesn't last forever.

Jim

Fair point. Maybe the time frame was very compressed.

Jim

I also definitely think Stark is smart enough to feel ashamed that he locked his friends up like he did. Stopping Steve from breaking them out would make very little sense at that point.

Jim

I also definitely think Stark is smart enough to feel ashamed that he locked his friends up like he did. Stopping Steve from breaking them out would make very little sense at that point.

I'd like to think in time they can partner again. And the 'Tony Stank' letter really conveyed Steve Rogers' heartfelt commitment to their friendship.

But we are talking about the murder of someone's parents. Even if Bucky was being controlled by the Winter Soldier program, that's a tough pill to swallow.

Well, I figure since Zemo was motivated by the death of his folks in The Age of Ultron - and Ultron was pretty much the responsibility of Tony Stark - then Tony may be able to see that his motivation toward the Winter Soldier is analogous to Zemo's motivation toward the Avengers.

In fact, the Winter Soldier's actions were the result of brainwashing, while Tony's actions were out of hubris.

Which, I thought, was one of the themes of the movie.

:eyeroll:

Good lord, are you going to follow every comment I make in this section?

Please don't try to justify anything to me because I'm not buying. I just didn't find his portrayal very interesting, I apologize. I like the actor, and I think some interesting things have been done with the character, though I do not think that happened here in this movie.

Would it make you feel better if I said I found it overall a fun movie and I was able to enjoy quite a bit of it?

if you don't want people responding to your comments, don't make them. i completely agree with Bosco in that Zemo was handled greatly. Crossbones on the other hand was far underused.

There's a difference in someone responding to a comment and following me from thread to thread responding to every comment I make in this section.

"handled greatly" must mean something different where I come from.

Well, I figure since Zemo was motivated by the death of his folks in The Age of Ultron - and Ultron was pretty much the responsibility of Tony Stark - then Tony may be able to see that his motivation toward the Winter Soldier is analogous to Zemo's motivation toward the Avengers.

In fact, the Winter Soldier's actions were the result of brainwashing, while Tony's actions were out of hubris.

Although what you say is very sensible, I'm not sure I would compare Tony Stark's prior situation to Zemo. Remember what they said Zemo's role was in his native country.

"Zemo ran EKO Scorpion, a Sokovian covert kill squad"

DfTLz0O.png

So in a way what the movie may have also displayed was karma. Unfortunately, at the cost of his family.

There's a difference in someone responding to a comment and following me from thread to thread responding to every comment I make in this section.

Do you mean to exaggerate, as it was all of two threads where there was any discussion. Or this just something you dream up as you go along?

All I did was share my view on Zemo being more effective in the film than you felt the character was portrayed. That's a lot more positive and open for discussion than your post about '...the only way I would watch this POS again.'

Do you mean to exaggerate, as it was all of two threads where there was any discussion. Or this just something you dream up as you go along?

All I did was share my view on Zemo being more effective in the film than you felt the character was portrayed. That's a lot more positive and open for discussion than your post about '...the only way I would watch this POS again.'

What does my comment about BvS have anything to do with this?

And thanks for proving my point.

Well, if you are going to exaggerate openly like that about our back-and-forth discussion, then it is going to get clarified. Or was that your point?

(shrug)

Meanwhile, you posted in the Batman v Superman to purposely disrupt any positive discussion about the film...

It's anti cheerleading.

And then when you noted Zemo was not handled the best way in Civil War...

He's definitely a better villain than this movie showed him to be.

Very disappointed in how they handled him and made Crossbones nothing more than a contrived plot device.

...all I did was note why I felt he actually was quite effective. Though not traditionally portrayed. What - chat boards are not for open and positive discussion about these films in the TV-Movie-Game section? There was no 'Are you crazy for your opinion' just because it didn't work for you. That's your opinion.

Although what you say is very sensible, I'm not sure I would compare Tony Stark's prior situation to Zemo. Remember what they said Zemo's role was in his native country.

"Zemo ran EKO Scorpion, a Sokovian covert kill squad"

DfTLz0O.png

So in a way what the movie may have also displayed was karma. Unfortunately, at the cost of his family.

Meanwhile, I did find this mention quite interesting in the film, as it got past me the first time when she mentions he led a death squad.

Well, if you are going to exaggerate openly like that about our back-and-forth discussion, then it is going to get clarified. Or was that your point?

(shrug)

Meanwhile, you posted in the Batman v Superman to purposely disrupt any positive discussion about the film...

It's anti cheerleading.

Very disappointed in how they handled him and made Crossbones nothing more than a contrived plot device.

...all I did was note why I felt he actually was quite effective. Though not traditionally portrayed. What - chat boards are not for open and positive discussion about these films in the TV-Movie-Game section? There was no 'Are you crazy for your opinion' just because it didn't work for you. That's your opinion.

Apparently not.

I was thinking of posting in the Valiant thread, in case you want to follow me over there.

(shrug)

It's anti cheerleading.

Apparently not.

I was thinking of posting in the Valiant thread, in case you want to follow me over there.

You keep complaining, but you're the only one out of line. Bosco hasn't said anything disrespectful to you. if he disagrees with a thousand of your posts, that's perfectly allowable, as long as he does so in an appropriate manner, which he has. deal with it or stop posting.