• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Anthony Mackie Possibly Reveals That SPOILER Will Also Be In Captain America: Civil War

In a recent interview with BBC Radio, actor Anthony Mackie (The Falcon) may have let slip the characters appearance in the film:

"It's Marvel's best movie thus far... It’s really, really good. It’s because it’s more of an acting movie than an action movie. I feel like the story is very concise and interesting, and you get to see Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans and Scarlett Johannson and Mark Ruffalo and everybody just do really, really good acting. And then there’s action in it. I think it might be the first superhero movie that might be up for Best Picture."

"They tie each story into the next movie."

:ohnoez:

:ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

Captain America: Civil War Martin Freeman's Role Revealed

Ever since Martin Freeman was cast in Captain America: Civil War, fans have been asking, who will he play? Well today, that question is answered. Martin Freeman will be playing the character of Everett Ross.

XWiYwDR.gif

Fans of the comics know Ross as the United States’ main representative in Wakanda so the reasons for the Black Panther to join the fray is now even clearer. The Hobbit star however will have a tweaked role in the film acing as a member of the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre. According to Empire’s report, they’re also banking on Freeman to have a role in the upcoming Black Panther movie as well.

Captain America: Civil War Martin Freeman's Role Revealed

Ever since Martin Freeman was cast in Captain America: Civil War, fans have been asking, who will he play? Well today, that question is answered. Martin Freeman will be playing the character of Everett Ross.

XWiYwDR.gif

Fans of the comics know Ross as the United States’ main representative in Wakanda so the reasons for the Black Panther to join the fray is now even clearer. The Hobbit star however will have a tweaked role in the film acing as a member of the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre. According to Empire’s report, they’re also banking on Freeman to have a role in the upcoming Black Panther movie as well.

Makes sense - I was rewatching the first X-Men movie the other day and was reminded that Henry Gyrich was a character, meaning Fox at least had joint rights. It seems much more likely now that they have full claim on the character.

Not sure if it's been theorized before but if I were Marvel I'd:

switch the deaths.

Have Crossbones kill Tony Stark.

That way Downey Jr.'s finished with the movies, War Machine can take over for him and Chris Evans can continue to lead The Avengers in the Infinity War 1 & 2.

It would also make sense from:

a) a financial perspective -- Downey Jr. reportedly only agreed to do this film if his role were expanded. What if it's a Harrison Ford episode 7 plan (ie., role is expanded & I die??) and

b) The trailer shows a severely injured (dead) Rhodey. Too obvious, so could be a misdirection -- sure, he's injured but ultimately recovers (Nick Fury-style) -- it's Stark who goes after Cap to avenge him and ends up getting by Crossbones, whomever.

Not sure if it's been theorized before but if I were Marvel I'd:

switch the deaths.

Have Crossbones kill Tony Stark.

That way Downey Jr.'s finished with the movies, War Machine can take over for him and Chris Evans can continue to lead The Avengers in the Infinity War 1 & 2.

It would also make sense from:

a) a financial perspective -- Downey Jr. reportedly only agreed to do this film if his role were expanded. What if it's a Harrison Ford episode 7 plan (ie., role is expanded & I die??) and

b) The trailer shows a severely injured (dead) Rhodey. Too obvious, so could be a misdirection -- sure, he's injured but ultimately recovers (Nick Fury-style) -- it's Stark who goes after Cap to avenge him and ends up getting by Crossbones, whomever.

A couple of thoughts. Reportedly RDJ's contract stipulates that he's in the next Avenger's film. The sticking point seems to be further Iron Man films, which are obviously lucrative (even with a post-Avengers boost - it made a Billion dollars). Now, I see why a lot of people would presume that historically frugal Marvel Studio might want out on the one actor in their Marvel Studio with leverage (he renegotiates his contracts after each couple - making a TON of money, $80 million one year), I would throw something out there. Permutter is out of the chain of command at Disney regarding the films. He's the famed penny pincher (and I don't mean that in a completely derogatory way because obviously it has worked). Feige won his power play and now reports directly the the two Big dogs at Disney, and reportedly some of that had to do with, now being the biggest thing in films, to be able to spend money.

When that occurred it was reported we wouldn't see the reprecussions of that until the next phase, which might be Iron Man 4.

Just throwing that out there, though I will admit Downey Jr. is getting old, and while I'm sure they want to keep relations up for cameos in the future, I could see them not wanting to shell out 50 million to Downey Jr. everytime they make a big film. That kind of money is usually what they give a at the end to kind of thank him for the multimedia cash cow (like they did Depp for Pirates - though we now see that coming back).

New Details On How And When 'Spider-Man' Factors Into CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR

Apparently, the wall-crawler won't be making an appearance until after the heroes have chosen their respetctive sides, and it's then that Peter Parker "forms a relationship with one character." Who? They don't say, but I would place my money on Iron Man!

As for Bucky, some more details about how he factors into the movie have also been revealed. As expected, the sidekick turned HYDRA assassin is going to cause the rift between Steve and Tony to become even greater, but why? Love. "He and Steve have the emotional connection of brothers – even more so because Bucky was all Steve had growing up," Joe Russo explains. "Bucky was his protector, and that dynamic shifted when Steve Became Captain America, and now it has shifted again. The Cap-Bucky story is a love story; he can’t let go of his brother. He can reconcile Bucky’s crimes, but other people have no emotional context for Bucky, and they need to point the finger. We have no idea if he’s a hero or a villain. People are going to walk out arguing about that too."

I think Deadpool marketing oddly, is a game changer. It felt like the first time social media was used in a way that matter continuously. Meaning get your star out there front and center and with giving very little of the film away, it felt like Deadpool was everywhere.

Obviously social media is not new but usually the extent of marketing is like play this silly game on facebook or some other dumb thing nobody really does.

In a crowded superhero market where FOX is not the leader it made a character nobody really knows feel like a must see tv. I know Marvel had Guardians (which I love) but Marvel had built up incredibly good will with the movie going audience, something we saw again with Antman.

It's the best any movie has ever been marketed IMHO and if you think about it... I don't know I really didn't feel like the film was given away when I watched it.

Obviously Deadpool has Deadpool which allows for an irreverence that doesn't apply to most films, but I think Studios are already trying to take marketing the way they think it will be two years from instead of what it has been feeling like, something that would have been novel 6-7 years ago.

Deadpool is cool in pop culture now. I'm very interested in seeing how they follow up and see if this something that can be major in the licensing sense the way heavyweight are. We've talked much about how Deadpool will beat the X-Men franchise films, but really think about it like this, compare him to other SOLO films while throwing out outliers like Iron Man 3, which was a totally effected by the Avengers success. Strong debut for not a traditional heavyweight IMHO.

Everything does not have to be about Deadpool. lol

To be fair, this is reminiscent of certain Deadpool ads. hm

Exactly!

Deadpool playing around with another superhero movie's posters so his image was on each. So no. Not everything is about Deadpool. But for anyone paying attention, this is easy to catch the influence.

I think Deadpool marketing oddly, is a game changer. It felt like the first time social media was used in a way that matter continuously. Meaning get your star out there front and center and with giving very little of the film away, it felt like Deadpool was everywhere.

Obviously social media is not new but usually the extent of marketing is like play this silly game on facebook or some other dumb thing nobody really does.

In a crowded superhero market where FOX is not the leader it made a character nobody really knows feel like a must see tv. I know Marvel had Guardians (which I love) but Marvel had built up incredibly good will with the movie going audience, something we saw again with Antman.

It's the best any movie has ever been marketed IMHO and if you think about it... I don't know I really didn't feel like the film was given away when I watched it.

Obviously Deadpool has Deadpool which allows for an irreverence that doesn't apply to most films, but I think Studios are already trying to take marketing the way they think it will be two years from instead of what it has been feeling like, something that would have been novel 6-7 years ago.

Deadpool is cool in pop culture now. I'm very interested in seeing how they follow up and see if this something that can be major in the licensing sense the way heavyweight are. We've talked much about how Deadpool will beat the X-Men franchise films, but really think about it like this, compare him to other SOLO films while throwing out outliers like Iron Man 3, which was a totally effected by the Avengers success. Strong debut for not a traditional heavyweight IMHO.

The success of the Deadpool campaign is similar to what we saw with the Batman Dark Knight viral campaign way back when. Both approaches were extremely successful and led to changes in the way other movies were marketed afterwards.

The success of the Deadpool campaign is similar to what we saw with the Batman Dark Knight viral campaign way back when. Both approaches were extremely successful and led to changes in the way other movies were marketed afterwards.

I find it hard to gauge myself but it's possible. While Batman Begins wasn't a gigantic lead in, it was still Batman, and for me at some point the death of Heath Ledger seemed to loom over everything so it's hard for me to recall and social media seems even more prevalent today. I remember when the first look of the Joker was released tho, his face, and everyone was ting on it, kind of became a joke and then Ledger happened.

As a poster accumulator I do know that the Ledger/Joker poster "Why So Serious" is a favorite among collectors, always getting attention no matter how many times I see it in auction.

Nobody knows what Deadpool was, pretty amazing.