• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

A one-minute featurette from Disney's Movie Surfers, it features a peek behind the curtain and a bit of commentary on the new film, and looks to have been made for TV interstitials on Disney xD and the Disney Channel.

Marvel needed to get the jump on the gigantic human character. It was one of those still hanging out there. Aquaman will see cinema before Namor. DC will bring Wonder Woman to market before Marvel's Carol Danvers, not that she ever had a chance of trumping Diana but she could have in the long run if she had had superior delivery a la Gunn's GOTG.

I don't really think Marvel even cares what DC does at this point. They're just doing their own thing. If anything, they're noticing what DC does, poke them (such with the DD Season 2 dropping the same dates as BvS:DoJAKDKGKDLSLDKSLD) and say "do better"

At this point I don't think Marvel is worried about the DCU's introductions. The foundation is set pretty nicely.

How dare you make me look bad on the Boards. :mad:

The Russos Weigh In On Their Realistic And Grounded Take On SPIDER-MAN

"We had thought back to the things that excited us about him as a character when we were younger, and one of the most important components of that was that he's a high schooler burdened with incredible powers and responsibility," explains Joe Russo. "That really differentiates him from every other character in the Marvel universe as opposed to other superheroes. For us, it was extremely important that we cast somebody very close to the age of a high school student. The previous films had adults playing a high schooler. We wanted more of an authenticity to the casting. We were very specific about that. We wanted an energy and charisma from the character, an energy, but also an insecurity that would make him fun to watch in contrast to the confident superheroes."

"It was also important to us that the actor that was cast feel contemporary because the other films that portrayed where he lived is more... they honored the comic books in terms of the choices," he continues. "But you go look at the home that Tobey Maguire lived in in Raimi’s Spider-Man was... those were very expensive homes. We wanted to relate it to the reality. A character growing up with his aunt in New York, a single income family… Where would they live? What would that look like? Where could they afford to live? We asked ourselves all those questions. We try to take a very logical and realistic and naturalistic approach to the character."

I'm a little confused with the comment about Sam Raimi's choice of Peter's home, and it being expensive. To me, it's very typical urban America, and a working class family. There's nothing rich or upscale with Peter's home.

screen-shot-2012-11-11-at-11-20-57.png

Not to say the Russos won't do this right.

"We're bringing Spider-Man into the movie in that universe, now, in that specific tonal stylistic world. I think underscoring everything Joe was saying about your question in terms of how were we thinking about the character in relation to past interpretations of the character, part of our choices were all so colored by the specifics of the world what we were playing in with these two Captain America movies, meaning Winter Soldier and Civil War. It's a very specific tonal world. It's a little more grounded and a little more hard-core contemporary. That was also coloring our choices a lot about the character on Spider-Man."

They are going after realism, and making him relate to current times. But the foundational characteristics should all be there from the beginning.