• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Nah - Disney knows that showing Spidey in the trailer is worth at least $100 million to the box office; probably closer to $200 million.

That said, I'm probably in the minority here who really liked Iron Man 3, in part because of the Mandarin twist.

In the context of the story, it worked (unlike, say, Pepper's ludicrous transformation at the end), but the best part about the Mandarin was:

1) how Marvel managed to keep it secret, and

2) how it caused such massive butthurt among comic book nerds/fanboys.

:news: SPOILERS :news:

Captain America: Civil War Post Credits Scenes Revealed

:news: SPOILERS :news:

MID-CREDIT SCENE

The mid-credits sequence starts with a shot of the Winter Soldier, Bucky Barnes. He's in a pod of some type. There are scientists in the lab, as Steve Rogers talks to Bucky. He asks him if he's sure he wants to do this, then promises him they'll fix things. They're going to freeze Bucky again, as it's the only way to keep him from being used thanks to all that brainwashing. T'Challa aka Black Panther is there - ah, so it seems we're in Wakanda. T'Challa and Cap have a talk, as the King promises Steve that they'll find a way to save Bucky and keep him from ever being taken over by evil again. Steve warns him, though, that when people find out Bucky's being kept there, they'll come for him. "Let them try," T'Challa says in the most baller line possible. A giant Panther statue is the final shot as Wakanda is seen in all its glory.

POST-CREDIT SCENE

The credits roll, and it's time for the other standout new character, Spider-Man to get the focus. Peter Parker sits in his bedroom, and is checking out his suit (thanks Iron Man!) and his webshooter. It clicks and projects some light - just as Aunt May comes into his room. He hides it, and after she asks about his black eye, which he blames on a guy from Brooklyn named Steve (yeah, that's Cap), she leaves. He takes out the webshooter and it reveals a Spider-signal, his symbol projected in light Batman style.

Captain America: Civil War Has Already Made A Ton Of Money

In a little over seven days, Box Office Mojo reports that Captain America: Civil War has grossed around $261.6 million. The countries with the biggest opening weekends include the United Kingdom, South Korea, Mexico and Brazil. Those numbers are going to keep growing, and even without accounting for the U.S. market, the movie could more than earn back its $250 million budget. It’s also worth noting that even though the third Captain America installment hasn’t opened in the United States, it’s already ticket site Fandango’s #1 pre-selling superhero movie of all time.

Following the events of The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War will kick off with the Steve Rogers and the other Avengers dealing an international incident involving Crossbones that results in collateral damage. Taking that into account, along with the other incidents involving the Avengers, the world’s governments pass the Sokovia Accords, which requires the regulation of enchanted individuals. While folks like Tony Stark believe it’s right for superheroes to be put in check, others like Steve Rogers believe the safest hands are their own. This disagreement will lead both established heroes and newcomers like Black Panther and Spider-Man to form two sides and clash over their ideological differences. Meanwhile, the still-mysterious main antagonist Zemo will be plotting his own schemes against Steve Rogers, just like his comic book counterpart loves to do.

It's also amazing that it took Marvel 1 shot to get both Spidey & Peter right in the same movie, while Sony didn't manage it in 5 movies.

It's also amazing that it took Marvel 1 shot to get both Spidey & Peter right in the same movie, while Sony didn't manage it in 5 movies.

The first 2 Tobey movies were a pretty good take on the character, IMO. The first half of the first movie were basically ripped straight from the pages of AF15.

Waiting for the Blu Ray :taptaptap:

Couldn't possibly do it.

I woke up this morning with such a smile on my face, knowing that today was the day. Even driving all day, I was thinking nobody better frigging hit me today and make me miss this tonight. I've got tickets for 7:00 AND the 10:10 shows.

I haven't been this excited for a movie since I was 11 waiting for Jedi to come out, maybe Batman in 89.

Jim

Thanks for inviting me...we could have held hands and you could have eaten popcorn from my bucket. :sorry:

Don't feel bad. He didn't invite me either.

Kevin Feige would disagree with you on that assumption.

Marvel's Kevin Feige Says Spider-Man 2 Is One Of The Best Superhero Movies Ever

Hey, but what does Feige know?

:baiting:

Hey all --

Saw it last night, will see it tonight in IMAX as well.

What a juggling act. Not everything felt great (too much frenetic camera work on the fights at times...not enough sense to Zemo's "plan"...a few underdeveloped character arcs), but OVERALL I thought this was a rousing, well-crafted, action-packed and poignant movie. I can't wait to see it again to get more of the nuances.

Along with Iron Man, Avengers, and Winter Soldier, easily one of my Top 4 Marvel movies and right up there with the best of the genre right now. Really quite an amazing feat the Russos pulled off here.

My daughter and her friend loved Spider-Man and Ant-Man the most, which felt exactly right to me...plenty of humor, but nothing too off-key like we found in AoU. 8.5/10.

Dan

Two big thumbs up. Organic web-shooters aside, Spider-Man 2 felt like a comic book on screen, particularly the fight on the train. The ending was meh, but I was already well entertained by that point.

I'm very critical of Marvel's movies. Haven't seen Civil War yet, but Iron Man 1, Avengers 1, and Cap: Winter Soldier made me happy. Everything else, not so much.

The first 2 Tobey movies were a pretty good take on the character, IMO. The first half of the first movie were basically ripped straight from the pages of AF15.

I thought Toby made a good Peter and an awful Spider-Man. I also thought Andrew Garfield was a great spidey and an awful Peter. Neither captured the dichotomy of the character with being really awkward as Peter but channeling that awkwardness into being an annoying motormouth while in the Spidey costume.

Oh, I agree that Spidey 2 was quite possibly the best superhero movie made, but I disagree that it nailed the Spider-Man/Peter dichotomy where the character is almost a different person when he's wearing the mask.

I loved the movie. I just think he was basically still Peter while in costume. He didn't make that switch over into the Spider-Man persona very well. There was only a very minor change in demeanor between the 2 sides of the character if any at all. That doesn't make it a bad movie by any stretch. In fact, it was still great. It just wasn't a spot-on Spider-Man in the way this one was even when it was a pretty spot-on Peter. If that makes any sense at all.

Oh, I agree that Spidey 2 was quite possibly the best superhero movie made, but I disagree that it nailed the Spider-Man/Peter dichotomy where the character is almost a different person when he's wearing the mask.

I had tried to get tickets earlier this week. Checked on Monday afternoon and the local theater didn't open their schedule yet. Check Tuesday afternoon and everything was sold out ;(

I personally had an easier time getting B vs S tix, will aim to see this next week.

I loved the movie. I just think he was basically still Peter while in costume. He didn't make that switch over into the Spider-Man persona very well. There was only a very minor change in demeanor between the 2 sides of the character if any at all. That doesn't make it a bad movie by any stretch. In fact, it was still great. It just wasn't a spot-on Spider-Man in the way this one was even when it was a pretty spot-on Peter. If that makes any sense at all.

Spidey 2 was good, nowhere close to best SH movie though. The terrible, awful "I don't know if I want to be Spider-Man anymore so my powers cut out" BS keep it from being even in the top 10. Such a horrible storyline.

I thought Spider-Man 2 was easily the best superhero movie of the pre-Nolan era.

It showed what could be done if you took the material seriously, hired Oscar- and Pulitzer Prize-winning screenwriters, and weren't weighed down by (yet another) origin story.

And to me, the whole disavowing-his-powers thing was great if for no other reason than we got the cover of ASM 50 literally portrayed on the big screen.

Going to the 9:45AM showing now

I called the theater to ask how busy the 9am showing was, they said ten people showed up for it.

I didn't even know they had morning movie times

Be back with my report after lunch

I thought Spider-Man 2 was easily the best superhero movie of the pre-Nolan era.

It showed what could be done if you took the material seriously, hired Oscar- and Pulitzer Prize-winning screenwriters, and weren't weighed down by (yet another) origin story.

And to me, the whole disavowing-his-powers thing was great if for no other reason than we got the cover of ASM 50 literally portrayed on the big screen.

I liked how it wasn't totally explained, other than it was really him keeping his powers in check without realizing it. Probably the last great superhero movie from Sony. lol

Saw it late last night, and loved it. I still give a slight edge to CA:TWS as my favorite Marvel movie, but CW comes real close. I'm suprised no one has mentioned how good the special effects were during the scene that featured

young Tony Stark and his parents