• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

I watched it today as well, and thought it was great. Really looking forward to seeing this Spider-Man in his solo movie.

Agreed!

I know some of my comic friends that are 28+ are kinda complaining he is too young, but I think that is the right play. My generation got Tobey/Garfield and I would say 3 really good Spider-man movies mixed with 2 terrible ones.

Let the younger kids relate more to this real life teenager as Spider-man, and watch Tom Holland grow into the character.

IMO its the smart move that will keep AF 15's on the rise for years to come.

+1,000,000

The old fogies have to get over this age thing. When we were growing up with Spider-Man he was in high school and college, and not a married man..

Marvel made the right decision with making him younger.

Peter Parker graduated from high school in issue 30 or 40 something, correct? He graduated from college in issue #185. For the vast majority of the comics Peter Parker would not have been in high school or college. Except the deal with Mephisto did de-age him, so maybe he is back in high school again.

I'm thinking that for illustrative purposes, they used the more heavily featured characters. There are lots of characters that are physically stronger than Spidey but only so many can be used in the illustration.

Fair enough - I feel like we need a ranking of strength of Marvel heroes/villains and might as well throw in the DC characters as well (i.e., how much stronger is Superman than Thor or Hulk? Inquiring minds want to know :) )

That would be interesting. Though it could end up in a deep 'my Marvel character is better than your DC character' wrestling match. But the logical thoughts on strength benefits would still be interesting.

Saw it this weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit. I think maybe the hype had gotten unreasonably high, so by the time I saw it, I couldn't help but be a little let down. Fantastic action (love the parkour influenced style of Black Widow. She kicks major !), and a lot of character appropriate humor. Loved Black Panther, can't wait to see his standalone. Found Spider-Man amusing. And like many others, thought Rudd/Ant-Man stole every scene he was in.

I feel like the movie's biggest problem is that it peaks halfway through, with the airport throwdown. That scene is so much fun, and the movie never really matches that crazy high again. Definitely feels like they blew their wad way too soon. I honestly felt like the movie kinda dragged to its inevitable conclusion after the big fight wrapped up.

All in all I was surprised by how lighthearted the whole movie was. The stakes never really seemed all that high. Cap's reasoning seemed problematic. And Zemo's plan was stupidly convoluted.

All that being said, it was still a lot of fun, and there were several instances where I reached over and grabbed the wife's leg and said "Holy mess!" So that counts for something, right?

So it is Sony that releases the Spider-Man movie, while Marvel pulls the movie together.

What does Marvel get for producing Sony's stand-alone Spider-Man movies?

the use of Spidey in MCU movies.

I can't imagine that's it given that producing a movie costs hundreds of millions of dollars. They've got to get paid for that work.

Sony finances the movie & gets all the profits. The employees working on those movies get paid by Sony (instead of Marvel) but Marvel uses its people. There's no profit for Disney/Marvel for all the Marvel personnel that go to work on Spidey solo-movies, but Marvel apparently values the character use rights on any number of movies more than the profit off of making 1 movie. If that makes any sense.

It's not like Marvel is paying the bills to make a movie for Sony & then sony gets all the money from the finished product or something. It's a financial wash for Marvel to do work on a solo Spidey movie.

Seeing as how there was disappointment with the ASM movies, I think Marvel wants to control the creative direction of the new Spidey to simultaneously keep that from happening to Spidey again, along with any other MCU characters they bring to his solo films. Disney has invested in him now, so they won't just sit back & hope Sony doesn't reboot him again.

Saw it this weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit. I think maybe the hype had gotten unreasonably high, so by the time I saw it, I couldn't help but be a little let down. Fantastic action (love the parkour influenced style of Black Widow. She kicks major !), and a lot of character appropriate humor. Loved Black Panther, can't wait to see his standalone. Found Spider-Man amusing. And like many others, thought Rudd/Ant-Man stole every scene he was in.

I feel like the movie's biggest problem is that it peaks halfway through, with the airport throwdown. That scene is so much fun, and the movie never really matches that crazy high again. Definitely feels like they blew their wad way too soon. I honestly felt like the movie kinda dragged to its inevitable conclusion after the big fight wrapped up.

All in all I was surprised by how lighthearted the whole movie was. The stakes never really seemed all that high. Cap's reasoning seemed problematic. And Zemo's plan was stupidly convoluted.

You summed it up way better than I could. The part that I highlighted is what kept it out of the 10 category for me.

I would like to have seen.....

Someone major die. I"m talking Cap, IM, Widow.

You summed it up way better than I could. The part that I highlighted is what kept it out of the 10 category for me.

I would like to have seen.....

Someone major die. I"m talking Cap, IM, Widow.

I agree, I hoped the 'stakes' would be 'higher' than they ended up being.

Spider-Man's overall metabolic efficiency has been greatly increased, and the composition of his skeleton, inter-connected tissues, and nervous system have all been enhanced. Spider-Man's musculature has been augmented so that he can lift (press) about 10 tons.

Well that's quite a bit more than ten times as strong as a regular human. I'd guess the average man can press about 150 pounds, so those numbers put Cap at five times stronger than a regular man and Spider-Man over 100 times stronger. I don't think they've consistently displayed Spider-Man as being that strong...he should be able to lift 5 or 6 cars at once at that strength.

The average Anerican man can not bench 15o pounds.

Do you see the average out of shape American walking around today?

The story was good, the action was superb, and the ambivalence of the characters was palpable. The one thing that I was surprised about in this movie was:

Captain America is still alive - I was sure he'd be dead by the end of the movie.

I honestly truly don't get the stakes weren't high enough card. What happened to that character is a fate worse than death, and being in a box can simply be forgotten and wiped away. Everytime they were to see that character from now on in, it's a living/breathing reminder of what they did and the consequences. Far more poignant and tragic.

Jim

Well, I did say I would write a review for this movie. Before I dig in, I do want to emphasize I think it was entertaining and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to fans of these movies to see it. I am going to be critical of what I didn't like about the movie however. It might sounds like I'm being overly critical. I'm not going to gush, because I believe enough have already done that in this thread.

First of all, Civil War has a lot to offer fans who are familiar with the Marvel characters. Probably the biggest set piece, the airport scene is a terrific scene of hero versus hero ripped right out of the comics. I thought the introduction and use of the Black Panther in this movie was perfect. His story intertwined with the narrative and his actions and reactions to events worked for me. I believed his reasoning for wanting to kill the Winter Soldier and his change of mind with the scene with Zemo. I liked the continuation of the Winter Soldier story and I absolutely loved the comradery and loyalty Steve Rogers shows toward Bucky. The MCU set this up in the first Captain America movie and it makes absolutely sense that Steve would want to protect his friend. While the movie sways a little from being a Captain America movie to being a Iron Man movie at the end, overall, they do a decent job focusing on Captain America, so I can see why this was titled Captain America: Civil War and not Avengers: Civil War.

Spider-Man was shoehorned into this movie. It is never explained how Tony Stark knows about Peter Parker. Is Tony Stark the Bruce Wayne of the MCU? Does he have files on all the heroes in the MCU? If so, his character has never been setup as such. I guess with a missing SHIELD and Nick Fury, someone had to fill that role. I could have believe Nick Fury would have known and recruited Spider-Man, but narcissist Tony Stark? For me, the introduction of Spider-Man was forced. And I don't like Tony Stark being responsible for building the classic Spider-Man's costume. Tony Stark is now responsible for the origin of the Vision, Ultron, War Machine, and has a part in Spider-Man's origin now. This smacks of Oscorp being responsible for all of Spider-Man major villains from the aborted Sony Spider-Man movies.

As for Spider-Man himself, for as much as I loved Black Panther in this movie, I didn't love Spider-Man. The actress chosen for Aunt May (Marisa Tomei) was a bad casting decision and so was the actor for Spider-Man. I couldn't get past the voice of a 7 or 8 year old kid coming out of someone that looks like he is 17 or 18.

Unfortunately, for me, the airport scene, for as cool as it is, goes completely against the tone of the movie we see before it and after it. Things were serious right up to the airport scene, then we get the wacky scene with characters fighting each other in an almost whimsical manner, and the scene ends on a serious note again and the movie goes more somber until the end. You never become invested in the characters (a problem that most superhero movies have had) so when things happen, you watch it for the cool visuals, but you don't really feel the seriousness of the situations or care about the outcome. And just when you are about to feel the gravitas of a situation, a one-liner is thrown out (presumably to keep it entertaining for kids) or an action is taken and the seriousness of a situation is lost. For example at the end of the airport scene, when Rhodey falls and Tony Stark is cradling him, this could have been a powerful, emotional moment in the movie. Instead of letting that moment fall on the audience with the weight it deserved, Iron Man provides comic relief and shoots an approaching Sam Wilson/Falcon. Why? Wouldn't the viewer be more emotionally attached to these heroes if we allowed the emotion to stand without the humor? Or does Marvel do this so they can keep the kiddies entertained? This wasn't the only time in the movie a serious moment is interrupted in this manner. And this is why I feel Marvel movies are kiddie movies. They know who their audience is and they fail to let the seriousness or consequences of the story resonate with the audience. They don't take these movies seriously, and neither should their audiences. Just enjoy the ride!

The logic of why the Avengers need to be reigned in by the world is fairly 2 dimensional. And this same logic is used by the main villain, Zemo, to explain his hatred of the Avengers. (As for those wishing for the Zemo from the comics, you can forget it. This is a different character who just happens to have the same name. I guess Marvel didn't have another villain who fit the role, so they just picked one of Captain America's villains to fill the role.) And similar 2 dimensional logic is used by Tony Stark to hate Bucky. (Why is it always necessary in superhero movies to tie character's backgrounds together like this?) If this movie is to be believed, the highlight of the Avengers operating for a few years now are those exploits we've seen in the movies. And apparently, like Superman in the DC cinematic universe, the public is afraid of the Avengers. Even Captain America who was a hero in World War II and loved by his fellow soldiers. This world fearing the Avengers does feel like it is coming out of nowhere. At least the DCCU started with that premise and is just following it along. We've never had any indication of this in any of the umpteen Marvel movies to date. Some of the greatest scenes in a superhero movie to date are when Spiderman is helped by the citizens of New York City. Now, in both the MCU and the DCCU, heroes are to be feared and hated. :facepalm:

As others have mentioned, fight scenes are sped up for the camera and the result is not pleasing to the eye. I think some of this has to do with the special effects not being as good as they could be (anyone notice how many special effects studios worked on this movie?), so the fast movement helps you not focus on this. That scene I complained about months ago from the trailer with Captain America and Bucky fighting Iron Man is in this movie and nothing was done to make that scene look right in the movie. Basically, there are several scenes where the CGI characters don't move like a real person would move. This is a very, very minor complaint however, because we see this in a lot of these types of movies. But I would avoid seeing this movie in 3D because of the sped up action sequences. I saw it in 3D and wish I hadn't. :(

As for Captain America's strengths, I was not really bugged by it. The Black Widow gets up from some incredulous hits which is far more unrealistic, so a super serum powered Captain America should be able to take a good beating.

This movie is extremely packed with action and events. They story moves along at a good pace, and the only unfortunately victim of this is the emotional impact some of these situations should have on the viewer. In the end, this is a summer tentpole extravaganza, nothing more, nothing less. Not a perfect movie by any stretch, but an entertaining movie that I can easily recommend others go see, especially if you have enjoyed the Marvel movies to date.

I would rank this movie as my 5th favorite Marvel movie, below Avengers, Iron Man, Winter Soldier, and GOTG. And definitely better than Avengers 2.

So is this movie a flop since it only did $182Mil when AoU did $191 and AV1 did $207 the sky is falling :ohnoez: marvel movies suck ahhhhh

Far from it. A movie making this much on opening weekend is doing very well. I think too many are spoiled by some of last year's successes, namely TFA and Jurassic World.

I honestly truly don't get the stakes weren't high enough card. What happened to that character is a fate worse than death, and being in a box can simply be forgotten and wiped away. Everytime they were to see that character from now on in, it's a living/breathing reminder of what they did and the consequences. Far more poignant and tragic.

Jim

I think the least they could have done was keep the people in prison...

I don't see how you can say that everyone is back where they were at the beginning of the movie:

T'Challa is now king.

Steve & Sam are now an outlaws.

Hawkeye can't go back home to his family.

The Avengers are now operating out of Wakanda

Bucky is back on ice.

Spidey is now "known" and has a real costume

Rhodey is paralyzed

And we don't even know what's going on with Vision, Wanda, Widow or Scott Lang.

Jim

For me, I want a "I can't believe they just did that! If they'll do that, what won't they do?" moment.

I'm talking no one is safe. Otherwise all these fantastic fight scenes are just that. As great as it was to see Spidey and Giant Man, I never really felt any anxiety over what was going to happen. Even after War Machine got blasted out of the sky, they didn't kill him.

I don't see how you can say that everyone is back where they were at the beginning of the movie:

T'Challa is now king.

Bucky is back on ice.

Rhodey is paralyzed

everyone got freed by cap I doubt he only freed sam

Jim

For me, I want a "I can't believe they just did that! If they'll do that, what won't they do?" moment.

I'm talking no one is safe. Otherwise all these fantastic fight scenes are just that. As great as it was to see Spidey and Giant Man, I never really felt any anxiety over what was going to happen. Even after War Machine got blasted out of the sky, they didn't kill him.

+1

Red wedding style

T'Challa is now king.

Bucky is back on ice.

Rhodey is paralyzed

everyone got freed by cap I doubt he only freed sam

They're still all outlaws. Whether or not they're still operating as Avengers, they're still all escaped prisoners & can't go home. That's kind of a huge change. Hawkeye un-retired to help & has a family that he can't go back to as a result. Scott has a daughter that he was reconnecting with that he now can't go back to & an ex-wife that he needs to explain to why he's been back to prison after making such a big deal out of never going back. They're all men/women with no country/home now. That's a pretty huge change.

Everyone is back to where they were before the movie with the exception of stark

If you mean that Captain America (sans shield), Falcon, Ant-man, Hawkeye, Scarlett Witch and Black Widow, now being rogue agents that would be hunted/captured/killed on sight per Thunderbolt Ross being exactly how things were before the movie began then yeah, you are right.