• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

What are projections for Final Gross Revenue?

IMDb's prediction.

“ Weekend: 200 million

Domestic: 520 million

Worldwide: $1.53 billion

The Marvel counterpart of Batman vs Superman, this supposedly stand alone Captain America film has turned into somewhat of an Avengers 2.5. If audience is into the idea of Captain going up against Iron Man, then this will at least match Age of Ultron. It's going for a billion. ”

What are projections for Final Gross Revenue?

$1.25BB

It will likely gross around 200 million in China alone & closer to 900 internationally, so I'm saying 1.3+ billion worldwide. I had originally thought it would surpass AoU.

My wife and I went with the kids tonight and they all felt the same - it was an okay movie, but not a really good one. I agree. It was disappointing based on all of the hype it received from critics and boardies. I thought it was on par with AoU, which is not great at all. The theatre was only about 1/4 full on a rainy Friday night and showings are dropping fast here. I think it will likely be down to one screen by next weekend at theatres.

I can also see why Marvel followed the same path that Warner did with opening overseas markets at the start - this movie is not strong enough for a long screen life.

Things I did not like:

I thought the story was weak and disjointed. If the intention was to write something at the 6 year old level then it succeeded as the whole movie was so simple it was almost funny to watch.

As others have pointed out, the action scenes were sped up so much that they looked way too fake. The worst was probably watching BP, Cap and Bucky sprinting past all of the cars on the road. That was brutal.

The airport battle scene was underwhelming as well - it was like watching one group of six year olds go after the other in the school yard. For all of the hype, it was a let down as it was so simple. The worst part was watching Wanda mop the floor with everyone from the start but not being dealt with until the end. Let's leave the most powerful player on Cap's side alone so she can pick us apart. lol

On Iron Man's side, the most powerful character, the Vision, was inactive for most of the fight? lol

All I could think of while watching the airport fight scene was this - Batman would have beaten them all by himself by just having a simple plan.

Oh yeah, a guy with a bow and nothing else taking on an armored hero or someone with powers? Brutal. lol

It was also funny to see the BP mop the floor with Bucky and Cap early in the film before and right after the arrest, only to get beaten easily in the airport flight. It was like watching him turn from Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli killing orcs in the LOTR films into one of the soldiers of Gondor who were killed easily in the next battle sequence. lol

Zemo was a weak villain as well. As bad as the Luthor turning Batman and Superman against one another approach was, this was even worse. lol

Also the fight between Iron Man, Cap and Bucky at the end was too drawn out. I was waiting for it to end before the fell down to the bottom. It was zzz and suffered from the too sped up issue again.

The good:

Black Panther was better than I expected. I look forward to a solo film.

Spider-man was a nice addition. I am not sold on the actor yet, but will give the new flick a chance.

There were only a few scenes with Paul Rudd so that was a bonus. Less is more with Ant-Man IMHO.

Someone finally took care of Bucky's arm. Geez, what a novel concept. lol

That was about it.

It was interesting to see the reaction of the crowd when we left. Everyone was basically commenting on how it was not as good as they expected. Basically, it was okay but not good. Maybe if we had viewed it the first weekend it was released our reaction would have been different, but it did not meet expectations at all.

I am kind of torn as I was hoping that I would like it a lot more than AoU, but it was only a marginal improvement. The wow factor is gone from the Marvel movies as everything has become too formulaic. I would have preferred an Infinity War film this year way more than Civil War as it would have been different.

P.S. WRT the Dr. Strange trailer, I asked my wife and kids what they thought and they all said it was not interesting. Unless they can pick it up a lot with the trailers, I will be going to the theater alone to see it.

My wife and I went with the kids tonight and they all felt the same - it was an okay movie, but not a really good one. I agree. It was disappointing based on all of the hype it received from critics and boardies. I thought it was on par with AoU, which is not great at all. The theatre was only about 1/4 full on a rainy Friday night and showings are dropping fast here. I think it will likely be down to one screen by next weekend at theatres.

I can also see why Marvel followed the same path that Warner did with opening overseas markets at the start - this movie is not strong enough for a long screen life.

Things I did not like:

I thought the story was weak and disjointed. If the intention was to write something at the 6 year old level then it succeeded as the whole movie was so simple it was almost funny to watch.

As others have pointed out, the action scenes were sped up so much that they looked way too fake. The worst was probably watching BP, Cap and Bucky sprinting past all of the cars on the road. That was brutal.

The airport battle scene was underwhelming as well - it was like watching one group of six year olds go after the other in the school yard. For all of the hype, it was a let down as it was so simple. The worst part was watching Wanda mop the floor with everyone from the start but not being dealt with until the end. Let's leave the most powerful player on Cap's side alone so she can pick us apart. lol

On Iron Man's side, the most powerful character, the Vision, was inactive for most of the fight? lol

All I could think of while watching the airport fight scene was this - Batman would have beaten them all by himself by just having a simple plan.

Oh yeah, a guy with a bow and nothing else taking on an armored hero or someone with powers? Brutal. lol

It was also funny to see the BP mop the floor with Bucky and Cap early in the film before and right after the arrest, only to get beaten easily in the airport flight. It was like watching him turn from Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli killing orcs in the LOTR films into one of the soldiers of Gondor who were killed easily in the next battle sequence. lol

Zemo was a weak villain as well. As bad as the Luthor turning Batman and Superman against one another approach was, this was even worse. lol

Also the fight between Iron Man, Cap and Bucky at the end was too drawn out. I was waiting for it to end before the fell down to the bottom. It was zzz and suffered from the too sped up issue again.

The good:

Black Panther was better than I expected. I look forward to a solo film.

Spider-man was a nice addition. I am not sold on the actor yet, but will give the new flick a chance.

There were only a few scenes with Paul Rudd so that was a bonus. Less is more with Ant-Man IMHO.

Someone finally took care of Bucky's arm. Geez, what a novel concept. lol

That was about it.

It was interesting to see the reaction of the crowd when we left. Everyone was basically commenting on how it was not as good as they expected. Basically, it was okay but not good. Maybe if we had viewed it the first weekend it was released our reaction would have been different, but it did not meet expectations at all.

I am kind of torn as I was hoping that I would like it a lot more than AoU, but it was only a marginal improvement. The wow factor is gone from the Marvel movies as everything has become too formulaic. I would have preferred an Infinity War film this year way more than Civil War as it would have been different.

P.S. WRT the Dr. Strange trailer, I asked my wife and kids what they thought and they all said it was not interesting. Unless they can pick it up a lot with the trailers, I will be going to the theater alone to see it.

Saw it last night as well. To be fair, it was very entertaining but not a great movie.

I was never a big fan of the 'Civil War' crossover in the first place as it just turned a lot of characters I normally liked into doorknobs and was not that excited to see this storyline come to the movies.

I think I am tired of comic movies and have been for a while. I want to see new stories and I know that these movies are the last place I am going to find them.

Saw it last night as well. To be fair, it was very entertaining but not a great movie.

I was never a big fan of the 'Civil War' crossover in the first place as it just turned a lot of characters I normally liked into doorknobs and was not that excited to see this storyline come to the movies.

I think I am tired of comic movies and have been for a while. I want to see new stories and I know that these movies are the last place I am going to find them.

+1 re: the Marvel movies featuring the Avengers related characters until Infinity War. This is the second "Avengers" movie in a row that has been a dud (AoU) was the first. Will they continue to make $$$? Definitely. However, the Avengers related films are getting so simplistic and formulaic now that you have to go in with lowered expectations in order to enjoy them. I wonder if Feige doesn't sit there and just play a "let's do a half-assed job with the films since they will still make $1B from Marvel zombies" while :roflmao:

I

+1 re: the Marvel movies featuring the Avengers related characters until Infinity War. This is the second "Avengers" movie in a row that has been a dud (AoU) was the first. Will they continue to make $$$? Definitely. However, the Avengers related films are getting so simplistic and formulaic now that you have to go in with lowered expectations in order to enjoy them. I wonder if Feige doesn't sit there and just play a "let's do a half-assed job with the films since they will still make $1B from Marvel zombies" while :roflmao:

The movies are more for the general public who IMHO have very little to no knowledge of the characters and the different stories and adaptations. I feel the movies do not showcase the full potential of some of the characters too but if they were to do that, the movies would be days long. For the general public the movies are alright and IMHO that is what the producers and directors have in mind.

2c

Just saw it a second time. Spider-Man, Ant-Man and Viz were great. The opening sequence in Lagos had, IMO, the best choreographed fighting, especially Widow, in the entire film. Only negatives were Zemo (just not menacing enough) and duration (they could have cut 15 minutes off). Also, on my second viewing, this is a MCU film in Cap clothing. But I still hold on my initial 8/10 rating. And I think Homecoming will be that $1.5 billion film that Marvel Studios is gunning for.

Saw the movie last night with my wife, was expecting a better than average story and ususal CGI effects.

Don't know the civil war story line, so was excited to see the movie,

Heres what I got,

Tooo long, boring and kind of meh.

Bri

Saw the movie last night with my wife, was expecting a better than average story and ususal CGI effects.

Don't know the civil war story line, so was excited to see the movie,

Heres what I got,

Tooo long, boring and kind of meh.

Bri

duck.

GotG2 made a billion?
We'll only know next year. lol With all the new additions to the cast, it probably will.

I'm certain you are right.