• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Saw the movie last night with my wife, was expecting a better than average story and ususal CGI effects.

Don't know the civil war story line, so was excited to see the movie,

Heres what I got,

Tooo long, boring and kind of meh.

Bri

had you purchased meh movie insurance? hot item from all the best insurance brokers.

'Angry Birds' Tops Friday With Estimated $11 Million, Headed Toward $40 Million Opening

Saturday AM Update: Angry Birds is going to take the #1 position this weekend after scoring an estimated $11 million on Friday, which is looking to lead to an opening weekend around $38-41 million.

Disney's Captain America: Civil War is looking at a second place finish around $33 million after bringing in an estimated $8.7 million on Friday. This is a little less than expected, but by only a couple percentage points as we're looking at a third weekend drop around 54%.

Angry Birds over Cap??!!

:sumo:

Never!

'Captain America: Civil War" becomes Disney's 10th billion dollar film

Disney (DIS)'s "Captain America: Civil War" will cross the $1 billion mark at the global box office on Friday, the studio said. The Marvel superhero slugfest, which pits Chris Evans' Captain America against Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man, reached the milestone in its 24th day of release. To put that into context, Marvel's "Avengers: Age of Ultron" made $1 billion globally in the same amount of time last summer.

This is the first billion dollar film of 2016 and the tenth film in Disney's history. The other nine are "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," "The Avengers," "The Avengers: Age of Ultron," "Frozen," "Iron Man 3," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," "Toy Story 3," "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," and "Alice in Wonderland."

Reaching $1 billion in 24 days is impressive, but not a record. The record for fastest to the big number belongs to another Disney film, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" which reached the milestone in half that time earlier this year.

Of the ten Disney movies achieving one billion dollars, 4:10 were Marvel movies. I think Disney execs can rest comfortable with the acquisition decision.

The Avengers still remains top Marvel dog, though. Even before inflation adjustment.

:applause:

Hi everyone!

My review is finally up and running and YouTube! Feel free to comment and like it! or make fun of it. Either way.

Thank you so much!!

Based on the current weekend estimates before the final numbers are posted later today.

PSRnwHd.png

md3H820.png

Is this movie trending like Age of Ultron or Iron Man 3 at the box office (either is not a bad place to be)?

Is this movie trending like Age of Ultron or Iron Man 3 at the box office (either is not a bad place to be)?

arent those two movies basically the same trend line?

And with a 3rd weekend draw of $33.1m it looks like Cap is trending down faster than either of those two. It might have to limp to 400m domestic...

Are they? I know AoU was in theaters much longer. But I wasn't sure if the two movies had the same trend.

Could you show us?

:baiting:

Are they? I know AoU was in theaters much longer. But I wasn't sure if the two movies had the same trend.

Could you show us?

You are right,

AOU had an extra 4 weeks in the theaters (worth about $600k), and finished up about $50m ahead of IM3

NpAKp4H.png

You can see AOU and IM3 were pretty much parallel trajectories the whole time.

You can see after three weeks Caps trajectory tracks a little flatter despite starting stronger than either in week 1. We're definitely living in a "week 1" world.

Could you show us?

You are right,

AOU had an extra 4 weeks in the theaters (worth about $600k), and finished up about $50m ahead of IM3

NpAKp4H.png

You can see after three weeks Caps trajectory tracks a little flatter despite starting stronger than either in week 1. We're definitely living in a "week 1" world.

CW opened with 179 million, not 220.

Could you show us?

You are right,

NpAKp4H.png

The chart looks like it is tracking the weeks, not the weekends. :gossip:

It's the 3rd week for CW that is wonky since the week still has 4 more days. The chart is kinda misleading until the week is over.

Could you show us?

You are right,

NpAKp4H.png

The chart looks like it is tracking the weeks, not the weekends. :gossip:

It's the 3rd week for CW that is wonky since the week still has 4 more days. The chart is kinda misleading until the week is over.

That doesn't sound right. CW should be between AoU & IM3 at any rate. Seems like he's starting CW at it's weekly total, then AoU & IM3 at their weekend totals.

AoU opening weekend/week $191,271,109/$235,655,468

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=avengers2.htm

CW opening weekend/week $179,139,142/$223,329,078

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=marvel2016.htm

IM3 opening weekend/week $174,144,585/$212,421,084

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=ironman3.htm

Civil War should fade faster due to 1) X-Men Apocalypes coming out and 2) superhero movie fatigue.

Add in the fact that the movie was almost as bad as AoU, with possibly an even weaker story, and I can see CW fading fast. My non-comic friends thought that CW was worse than Winter Soldier, and those that have not seen it will likely wait due to the negative word of mouth they are hearing. lol

Sure - it'll fade somewhat fast, but it's already gotten marginal more critical acclaim (per Rotten Tomatoes) than Winter Soldier and smoked it at the Box Office.

This week likely be bumped to # 4, however, after X-Men, Through the Looking Glass and Angry Birds.

I think I enjoyed Winter Soldier more, but Civil War exceeded my expectations -- it was a worthy successor, and that says a lot.

Civil War should fade faster due to 1) X-Men Apocalypes coming out and 2) superhero movie fatigue.

Add in the fact that the movie was almost as bad as AoU, with possibly an even weaker story, and I can see CW fading fast. My non-comic friends thought that CW was worse than Winter Soldier, and those that have not seen it will likely wait due to the negative word of mouth they are hearing. lol

lol negative word of mouth from who exactly? you? 90%RT, 75 Metacritic, A- Cinemascore- those are the only #'s that count. poor Marvel, will have to make do w/ $1.2BB. only $475MM more the Cap:WS. :cry: like every one of these tentpoles, will have banked 85-90% of its total take after 4 weekends; that's just the nature of the summer movie biz (unless it's animated aimed at kids- which can run for ages)

lol negative word of mouth from who exactly? you? 90%RT, 75 Metacritic, A- Cinemascore- those are the only #'s that count. poor Marvel, will have to make do w/ $1.2BB. only $475MM more the Cap:WS. :cry: like every one of these tentpoles, will have banked 85-90% of its total take after 4 weekends; that's just the nature of the summer movie biz (unless it's animated aimed at kids- which can run for ages)

I think it's more about the fact that we use to get 1 or 2 superhero movies a year & now we're starting to see more popping up on a year basis & overlapping one another also. We're getting so spoiled, people are expecting more of a thrill to appreciate any content. We're seeing more superhero movies this year than ever before:

Deadpool 2/12/2016

BvS 3/25/2016

CW 5/6/2016

Apocalypse 5/27/2016

SS 8/5/2016

DS 11/4/2016

With 4 big movies in 4 months, it's no wonder they're not reaching the same heights at the BO these days. Maybe SS & DS won't have as big an issue, since there's some room between them.

Then there's 7 set for next year:

Deadpool 2 ???

Wolverine 3 3/3/2017

GOTG 2 5/5/2017

WW 6/2/2017

Spider-Man 7/7/2017

Thor 3 11/3/2017

JL 11/17/2017

I personally think Ragnarok is set too close to JL. That will certainly affect the BO. They should move it to October.