• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

True - but the Nolan Batman trilogy wasn't exactly aimed at kids either, and those films were not only superb, but two of them topped $1 bn. in box office too

They also did so a few years ago, before it was the norm for an event film.

Batman v. Superman didn't fail to meet expectations or hit $1 bn. because it was aimed at an adult audience; it failed because it sucked.

I will say I'm Astonished that the lead characters from Tales of Suspense would out-perform the lead characters from Action Comics & Detective comics in head-to-head movies :shy:

Captain America and Iron Man are all fine and good, but I think people are forgetting that Spider-man is the biggest superhero in the world, and done correctly, is going to attract a massive audience.

Civil War certainly benefitted from this, as the reaction to the first trailer appearance of him sent shock waves through fandom. (And Black Panther certainly didn't hurt.)

So I don't think it was B+S (+WW) vs Cap and IM as much as B+S+WW vs nearly everyone in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (-minus Thor and Hulk) but PLUS (the biggest superhero in the world finally in the hands of Marvel) Spidey and the Black Panther.

For all of this talk of superhero 'fatigue', if Marvel does SPIDER-MAN correctly as a movie, IMHO it will be as big as anything they've ever done...

Captain America and Iron Man are all fine and good, but I think people are forgetting that Spider-man is the biggest superhero in the world, and done correctly, is going to attract a massive audience.

Civil War certainly benefitted from this, as the reaction to the first trailer appearance of him sent shock waves through fandom. (And Black Panther certainly didn't hurt.)

So I don't think it was B+S (+WW) vs Cap and IM as much as B+S+WW vs nearly everyone in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (-minus Thor and Hulk) but PLUS (the biggest superhero in the world finally in the hands of Marvel) Spidey and the Black Panther.

For all of this talk of superhero 'fatigue', if Marvel does SPIDER-MAN correctly as a movie, IMHO it will be as big as anything they've ever done...

Definitely!

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2

Domestic: $202,853,933 (28.6%)

Foreign: $506,128,390 (71.4%)

Worldwide: $708,982,323

That last movie demonstrates how massive the desire is for a Spider-Man movie with 71.4% of the box office coming from the international market.

Civil War should fade faster due to 1) X-Men Apocalypes coming out and 2) superhero movie fatigue.

Add in the fact that the movie was almost as bad as AoU, with possibly an even weaker story, and I can see CW fading fast. My non-comic friends thought that CW was worse than Winter Soldier, and those that have not seen it will likely wait due to the negative word of mouth they are hearing. lol

lol negative word of mouth from who exactly? you? 90%RT, 75 Metacritic, A- Cinemascore- those are the only #'s that count. poor Marvel, will have to make do w/ $1.2BB. only $475MM more the Cap:WS. :cry: like every one of these tentpoles, will have banked 85-90% of its total take after 4 weekends; that's just the nature of the summer movie biz (unless it's animated aimed at kids- which can run for ages)

Yeah I don't know where this negative word of mouth is coming from either. Was it that long ago that people were calling it the best superhero movie ever, and if not, at the very least the best Marvel Studios movie ever?

I guess in true Civil War fashion, we all have to choose sides ;)

Jim

Who was calling it the best superhero movie ever? :roflmao:

You didn't really have to go any further than the boards (but I do appreciate UncaBens posting the critical reviews :foryou:)

Real Eijah Snow "I'd say it's the best Marvel movie to date" May 5/16

Chris_Skelton "Just got home. This movie was awesome. Currently tied for my favorite with GotG." May 5/16

Doktor "I f-ing loved this movie. The action/fight choreography for these things has FINALLY reached the point where it feels like I'm watching comic book characters fight. Screw physics. They can just do straight up amazing things in a fight that makes even the best fighters look awful. And everyone has their own unique fighting style too. The speed that they fight at is unbelievable. Exactly how I picture it in a comic book.

Plus, I loved Ant Man in this. And Spidey. Everyone got their moment & had their own reason for doing what they were doing & they all got fleshed out without it being Avengers 2.5. It was still very much a Captain America movie. I was worried that the Cap-ness of it would get sorta lost in the shuffle. It didn't.

It's easily right next to Winter Soldier and GotG for me as my top Marvel Studios movie. And this just further cements that not only are the Cap trilogy of movies easily Marvel's best, with each getting better than the previous, but that the Russo's are so absolutely perfect for running the Infinity War pairing in the future. They know how to manage everyone getting their moments." May 6/16

rapid08 "This is by far the best movie I've seen" May 6/16

ComicConniseur "Captain America: Civil War is a modern masterpiece!

Amazing,Fantastic and Incredible!

The best Marvel movie!" May 6/16

Mr.Bedrock "As far as I'm concerned it was way too short. I could sit through another twelve hours or so of that." May 6/16

Chip Cataldo "The movie was beyond perfect. 6 out of 5 stars." May 6/16

Piper "I thought it was close to perfect...." May 8/16

Jim

So...is Civil War a disappointment if it doesn't at least match Iron Man 3's domestic showing of $409 million?

From the looks of it, it may not quite $400 million domestic, which would put it behind Spider-Man 3 and Iron Man 3 (adjusted for inflation).

I don't think so, but I'm open to others' thoughts.

(This ties into "should it be treated as a Cap / Iron Man sequel or an Avengers sequel?")

It seems some folks are upset by all the negative stuff flung at BvS and may be taking it out on CW. Maybe.

It does come across that way with some..

Clear case of anit-Marvel bias.

So...is Civil War a disappointment if it doesn't at least match Iron Man 3's domestic showing of $409 million?

From the looks of it, it may not quite $400 million domestic, which would put it behind Spider-Man 3 and Iron Man 3 (adjusted for inflation).

(This ties into "should it be treated as a Cap / Iron Man sequel or an Avengers sequel?")

it will make 400m+ domestically.

It seems some folks are upset by all the negative stuff flung at BvS and may be taking it out on CW. Maybe.

Those anit-Marvel DC people that experienced anti-DC bias really should knock it off. Why - it's just horrible. Horrible!

:baiting:

Meanwhile, back to all these movies coming out that over time are going to get overwhelming how to fit them all into the schedule.

:ohnoez:

Many sites have noted Civil War feels like Avengers 2.5 due to the extensive character appearances. So I think whether it is or not, the market treats it as that.

Is it a disappointment? It was the thing that broke up the Marvel management team due to differences over the budget - most probably assuming more money invested leads to more money made. But what that target should be is best known within Disney.

Age of Ultron missed expectations, yet was a massive financial success. Even the director recently had to admit he was very proud of the movie, though during its release it didn't seem that way. Though the market reviews seem mixed on how fans feel about the film. I was okay with the film, so can't understand the deep dislike for it.

But if Civil War was the thing that broke up the MCC in the hopes it would be the biggest success yet for Marvel, what defines success in that case?

Those anit-Marvel DC people that experienced anti-DC bias really should knock it off. Why - it's just horrible. Horrible!

:baiting:

Meanwhile, back to all these movies coming out that over time are going to get overwhelming how to fit them all into the schedule.

:ohnoez:

I wouldn't mind if they spaced it out a bit. I think fatigue will set in eventually...

Hopefully they really start going more in the direction of 'themed movies that happen to be comic movies' like Winter Soldier was kind of a Spy Thriller, Ant-Man was a heist movie, Wonder Woman will be a period war movie (hopefully), stuff like that. I'm hoping Thor 3 will be more like a buddy cop/detective movie of Hulk / Thor trying to figure out what happened to Odin, with banner as the detective and Thor being the smasher.

I liked Civil War, but if its just gonna be straight up superhero smash...well that can't go on forever....

it will make 400m+ domestically.

While I WANT it to, I don't think it will. It needs to make another $50 million domestically to do that. For the weekend both Through the Looking Glass and X-Men are coming out. That is really going to hurt CW. I hope it does, but it's gonna take a hit this weekend.

Exactly -- I loved CW, but I don't necessarily see it getting $50 million more domestic.

It's going to get creamed this weekend by X-Men & Through the Looking Glass.

Next week gives us TMNT 2.

June 10th then gives us a diverse trifecta of Warcraft, The Conjuring 2 and Now You See Me 2.

So...even shot that _maybe_ it hits $50-$70 million more but we're about to see a huge drop-off in the wake of four legit summer tentpoles & two solid genre entries (The Conjuring 2 & Now You See Me 2) in just the next 2.5 weeks.

Exactly -- I loved CW, but I don't necessarily see it getting $50 million more domestic.

It's going to get creamed this weekend by X-Men & Through the Looking Glass.

Next week gives us TMNT 2.

June 10th then gives us a diverse trifecta of Warcraft, The Conjuring 2 and Now You See Me 2.

So...even shot that _maybe_ it hits $50-$70 million more but we're about to see a huge drop-off in the wake of four legit summer tentpoles & two solid genre entries (The Conjuring 2 & Now You See Me 2) in just the next 2.5 weeks.

I'm not sure CW will make $400, but I'm pretty sure NO ONE Is watching WARCRAFT, and I'm not too optimistic about Alice in Wonderland, not nearly as heavily promoted as one would think.

X-men will take a chunk, but CW will still be in theaters when schools let out, and all the tv season finales have occurred, which could slow the descent a bit...

And if its a Raptors/OKC finals, there's gonna be a lot of dudes age 13-49 with some unexpected evening free time for a couple of weeks....

ZKX8RiQ.png

VH3Twk6.png

9rvCWoI.png

It is amazing that even in this little franchise you can see how the International Box Office portion has grown so substantially. Where it was 43%-50% of the overall take, now it is 65%-67% overall.

Interesting also that the big international shift seems to have occurred with Iron Man 3 (34% domestic, 67% international).

I don't think its really a big deal either way, but if it hasn't happened with Bucky or Falcon yet, it ain't happening.

Civil War should fade faster due to 1) X-Men Apocalypes coming out and 2) superhero movie fatigue.

Add in the fact that the movie was almost as bad as AoU, with possibly an even weaker story, and I can see CW fading fast. My non-comic friends thought that CW was worse than Winter Soldier, and those that have not seen it will likely wait due to the negative word of mouth they are hearing. lol

lol negative word of mouth from who exactly? you? 90%RT, 75 Metacritic, A- Cinemascore- those are the only #'s that count. poor Marvel, will have to make do w/ $1.2BB. only $475MM more the Cap:WS. :cry: like every one of these tentpoles, will have banked 85-90% of its total take after 4 weekends; that's just the nature of the summer movie biz (unless it's animated aimed at kids- which can run for ages)

Yeah I don't know where this negative word of mouth is coming from either. Was it that long ago that people were calling it the best superhero movie ever, and if not, at the very least the best Marvel Studios movie ever?

I guess in true Civil War fashion, we all have to choose sides ;)

Jim

Who was calling it the best superhero movie ever? :roflmao:

You didn't really have to go any further than the boards (but I do appreciate UncaBens posting the critical reviews :foryou:)

Real Eijah Snow "I'd say it's the best Marvel movie to date" May 5/16

Chris_Skelton "Just got home. This movie was awesome. Currently tied for my favorite with GotG." May 5/16

Doktor "I f-ing loved this movie. The action/fight choreography for these things has FINALLY reached the point where it feels like I'm watching comic book characters fight. Screw physics. They can just do straight up amazing things in a fight that makes even the best fighters look awful. And everyone has their own unique fighting style too. The speed that they fight at is unbelievable. Exactly how I picture it in a comic book.

Plus, I loved Ant Man in this. And Spidey. Everyone got their moment & had their own reason for doing what they were doing & they all got fleshed out without it being Avengers 2.5. It was still very much a Captain America movie. I was worried that the Cap-ness of it would get sorta lost in the shuffle. It didn't.

It's easily right next to Winter Soldier and GotG for me as my top Marvel Studios movie. And this just further cements that not only are the Cap trilogy of movies easily Marvel's best, with each getting better than the previous, but that the Russo's are so absolutely perfect for running the Infinity War pairing in the future. They know how to manage everyone getting their moments." May 6/16

rapid08 "This is by far the best movie I've seen" May 6/16

ComicConniseur "Captain America: Civil War is a modern masterpiece!

Amazing,Fantastic and Incredible!

The best Marvel movie!" May 6/16

Mr.Bedrock "As far as I'm concerned it was way too short. I could sit through another twelve hours or so of that." May 6/16

Chip Cataldo "The movie was beyond perfect. 6 out of 5 stars." May 6/16

Piper "I thought it was close to perfect...." May 8/16

Jim

I discount anything that boardies post as being the "best ever". How many of them posted the same thing about GotG, the Winter Soldier, etc. before it.

It is just like reading the posts on modern spec books being "the next big thing". lol