• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what do you think about cream off white pages

64 posts in this topic

prumping sounds like a sex act better left unexplained.

....it almost sounds like what a couple of seniors might do while the rest of the facility is busy with Shuffleboard :o GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems I remember hearing when CGC was first starting out they were not even going to assign any page quality designations, reasoning that would be a consideration in the book's final grade. Somewhere along the process certain powerful dealers-collectors or whatever raised a stink about this and thus page quality was added as a separate notation.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems I remember hearing when CGC was first starting out they were not even going to assign any page quality designations, reasoning that would be a consideration in the book's final grade. Somewhere along the process certain powerful dealers-collectors or whatever raised a stink about this and thus page quality was added as a separate notation.

Yup. (thumbs u

-J.

I concur that the PQ is a snapshot in time and may degrade in the slab. I'll tell you another thing that may degrade in the slab, the press. Creases that were pressed out,especially on the spine, can return. So you may buy a 9.4, put it away and never touch it, and it degrades into an 8.5 . This especially happens when the book is not real snug in the well. Not fun. I'll take the integrity of a White Page designation over a manufactured grade anytime. Unpressed, original books with White Pages will someday be rewarded by the marketplace.

This is interesting. I'd like to hear more.

i try to stay o/w or better for silver. i have 2 or 3 c/ow books, but unlike gold where i don't consider it a problem at all [of course the whiter the better, but it's not a demerit for me at all in gold], i do shy away from it in s.a. books.

I pretty much agree with this, although some early SA DCs in OW or better can be tough to locate.

CR/OW is often considered a detraction with Silver Age books, the bare minimum for many collectors being OW.

It's perfectly acceptable with GA books as there's far less choice in most cases.

Actually, even in SA, there can be very little choice for PQ. It depends on what SA one collects. There are some early SA genres in which it is pretty much impossible to find anything better than C/OW, and C/OW would be considered not only expected but totally acceptable - and discussion of PQ would be considered totally beside the point.

My last submission was about a year ago - 4 PCH books. They all had varying page quality to my eyes, ranging from cream to ow/w. All four came back ow/w. After that I stopped paying attention to CGC's page quality unless it included tan or brittle somewhere in the description.

Yet another reason to not pay too much attention to the PQ. Agreed.

My last submission was about a year ago - 4 PCH books. They all had varying page quality to my eyes, ranging from cream to ow/w. All four came back ow/w. After that I stopped paying attention to CGC's page quality unless it included tan or brittle somewhere in the description.

Yet another reason to not pay too much attention to the PQ. Agreed.

Or to become a better grader of page quality. ;)

After a couple of generations, CRM/OW will be a norm for SA copies

Not for every SA book, it all depends on where and how they have been preserved.

Grading can be a bit inconsistent but I can tell for sure when PQ is nice, be it W or OW, or even COW. The important thing is that they are not getting brittle.

Here is a copy-and-paste of one of my posts from a thread discussing PQ from earlier this year ...

"Here are my page quality ("PQ") preferences when buying, and how I perceive pricing premiums or discounts, as the case may be, as it relates to PQ. Ultimately, the era of the book is key because PQ tends to worsen with age.

For a GA book, I go C/OW or higher. W commands a premium (at least 10%, higher on tougher books), while C/OW pages don't lessen demand much (if at all) because you're dealing with paper than in many cases is 70 years old and books that (depending on the book) can be hard to find, particularly in higher grades. So the 70-year-old paper is more special if it's W, but because it's so old I don't punish the book just because it's C/OW.

For SA, I will go OW or higher, but will do C/OW on early SA DCs. I don't think there is much pricing difference between C/OW, OW, and even OW/W. I think pricing is generally the same for the book in those three PQ categories, and it is hard to add a PQ premium for the OW/W category. I would say that you might lose the interest of some potential buyers for a C/OW SA book because a picky buyer knows that SA books generally aren't hard to find. However, W should command a premium on pricing -- what that premium is expressed as a percentage, very hard to say, maybe another 5% to 10% (or 15%, in the case of a key)?

For BA, I want W but won't accept less than OW/W. I think C/OW in the BA should cause some price discount, while PQ from OW to OW/W to even W should not affect pricing (and, indeed, such PQ should be expected). That's because now we're looking at 35- to 40-year old paper that during most of those years should have been protected in a plastic bag, well-stored, etc.

For CA, I insist on W and won't pay a penny more for it. This is 25- to 30-year old paper, incredibly plentiful supply, and the book should have almost always been bagged and well-stored, etc. Not to mention that post-1980 many publishers started printing on higher quality paper (remember Baxter paper?) and moved away from pulp, which is more susceptible to deterioration."

+1

I am surprised no one has mentioned the OWL card in this discussion...

However in response to the OP I would say not to let it overwhelm your decision to buy a book as it is only one small factor mainly relating to presentation. More so with newer books than old. Further an aspect of presentation not readily perceivable until a case is cracked.

After a couple of generations, CRM/OW will be a norm for SA copies

Not for every SA book, it all depends on where and how they have been preserved.

Grading can be a bit inconsistent but I can tell for sure when PQ is nice, be it W or OW, or even COW. The important thing is that they are not getting brittle.

....this is SO true.....and I've popped books with C/OW that were so close to OW as to not even matter. For me the bone of contention is more with cover stock ..... I :cloud9: books with white covers with NO tanning..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u