• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

Thursday Night Report: ‘Wonder Woman’ Calls Down Big $11M Start

Friday Report: Warner Bros. announced this morning that Wonder Woman scored an estimated $11 million from Thursday night’s debut showings, including $1.5 million from IMAX alone. By comparison, the $11 million take comes in 17 percent ahead of Doctor Strange‘s $9.4 million, just behind the $11.2 million of Guardians of the Galaxy, and ahead of the $9 million of Man of Steel in June 2013 (which was part of a $12 million haul from “Walmart presales” during its Thursday night debut).

Long story short, the nature of this film as an origin story, its increasing buzz through strong reviews and early word of mouth, and considerable potential for stronger-than-usual walk-up business throughout the weekend may skew typical comparisons to superhero films. There are also the NBA Finals and NHL Stanley Cup Finals in play this weekend, which could shift some viewing habits.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

We're taking our 9 year old niece to see it tomorrow. Can't wait!

she will love it (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

So the WW I scenes were more tame than how traumatic these could be presented?

The best I can recall the WW I scenes went by quick but some other scenes with Dr. poison maybe. My kids are 18 and 22 so I don't pay as much attention to that anymore. :sorry:

You see some difficult things but it's mostly aftermath - injured people with amputated limbs wrapped in gauze etc.  It's not gory in any sense (very little blood and no guts) but there are a few moments where they highlight the pain and destruction and you see people who have been badly wounded.  I felt they did a great job making it feel very real without approaching bloody gore.   That said, every parent is different - some might feel like 13 is about the right age while others might feel confident dipping into the single digits knowing their kids won't dwell on those tough scenes.

Edited by Thawk

52 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

The best I can recall the WW I scenes went by quick but some other scenes with Dr. poison maybe. My kids are 18 and 22 so I don't pay as much attention to that anymore. :sorry:

44 minutes ago, Thawk said:

You see some difficult things but it's mostly aftermath - injured people with amputated limbs wrapped in gauze etc.  It's not gory in any sense (very little blood and no guts) but there are a few moments where they highlight the pain and destruction and you see people who have been badly wounded.  I felt they did a great job making it feel very real without approaching bloody gore.   That said, every parent is different - some might feel like 13 is about the right age while others might feel confident dipping into the single digits knowing their kids won't dwell on those tough scenes.

Thanks folks! Appreciate the details.

‘Wonder Woman 2’: Patty Jenkins Is Already Signed on for the Sequel

wonder-woman-gal-gadot-patty-jenkins-sli

Wonder Woman 2 is pretty much a given at this point. While it has yet to be officially announced, Wonder Woman is already a critical success and it’s shaping up to be a huge hit at the box office as well. While the studio is already juggling a lot of other superhero properties including attempts to launch solo franchises for Aquaman, The Flash, Nightwing, and Batgirl, it definitely won’t want to ignore an exciting new franchise if Wonder Woman has audiences wanting to see more of the Amazonian princess.

Thankfully, when it comes to looking for a director, that’s already taken care of. In a recent THR profile for director Patty Jenkins and star Gal Gadot, the publication revealed that both are already contracted for Wonder Woman 2. That’s not too much of a surprise since studios like to lock down major players in advance of a sequel so they can hit the fast track if necessary, but it’s good to know that Jenkins is there (it’s not surprising that Gadot is signed on to a multi-picture deal).

just got back from my second viewing and love the movie so much, it's the second movie between both Marvel & DC that got me emotional while watching.  

plus i gotta say like the new intro to the DC logo which takes inspiration from the JL Unlimited cartoon show.  

Joss Whedon Approves Of Wonder Woman

fWqBWNO.png

Joss Whedon has since returned to WB as he is finishing the Justice League movie because of Zack Snyder's recent departure due to a death in the family. Joss Whedon wrote additional Justice League scenes and will also be filming extra scenes.

Whedon is also attached to write and direct the Batgirl movie.

Regarding Whedon's remark about the "man-only screening," it's a refence to the Alamo Drafthouse theaters having female-only screenings for Wonder Woman, which has been the center of controversy as of late.

I don't know if there was a post credit, but man oh man is Gal Hottt. The movie was mediocre in my opinion.  My brother had heard that it was one of the best superhero movies ever made. I'd say far from it. I wanted more action and less story (As always). There were some decent battle scenes though and the Amazon women rock. The average movie goer will like this movie. 

Just got back with the wife from watching it with a full house. The movie did get nice applause at the end which I don't see very often. The wife enjoyed and she hates comic book movies.

Gal Gadot is just wonderful in this film. If you didn't love her before this film you will love her afterward. I love how they portrayed WW and how that picture ties into the film so much. Its not a great film, but it is very good. I think it goes off the rails at the end, but by then I didn't care I enjoyed the 1st half so much.

This film reminding me a lot of the 1st Captain America in a lot ways. A very good film that I think could have even been better. I am not biggest WW fan, but you cant help by love her after this film. Such an earnest and heartfelt performance. This is by far the best DC overall film I have seen.(Nolan's Batmans are close.)

Its not quite to the level of Marvel films in general, but the character is so earnest she wins you over early in the film and doesn't let go. I would have liked to see a more developed relationship between the main characters, but you only have so much time and it goes by fast in this film.

I don't think many fans will be disappointed overall. WW/Gadot doesn't fail this film in any way I think only the plot does in certain spots and the villains could have been better. Finally nice to see DC actually make a good solid film overall.

Gal was awesome but the overall movie was ok.  I wouldn't go back to see this again in the theatre.  I thought GOTG 2 was mediocre and still saw it twice.  I just didn't get the same feeling to want to see it again.  My partner loves WW but said they lost interest halfway through the movie.  

The intro with all the DC characters was great, why DC can't make really good movies on par with Marvel is perplexing; they have access to all their characters!  

The final battle scene and villain were blah, visually, the villain was laughable.

Spoiler

I think the ending would have been so much better showing Ares later on down the line after WW thinks he's dead influencing a young Adolf Hitler.  

13 hours ago, paperheart said:

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:07 PM, comics4all said:

It was good but it had a lot of flaws

Dc still doesn't make a movie as good as Marvel IMHO

it's worse than IM2, IM3, AoU? Hard to imagine.  I still think this could pull a Deadpool like surprise where the late tracking is saying $100MM and it does $130MM.

Its better then all 3 of those easily. What I missed really was the humor which isn't in this one too much. I don't think it really goes full Super Hero till the last 30 minutes which honestly is the worse part of the movie I thought maybe someone else will disagree.