• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, valiantman said:

If it hits $400M domestic, then it beats Frozen... and without filling theaters with elementary kids. :whatthe:

It is interesting to see how close Domestic Box Office and International Box Office are balancing out so closely. Interesting in that this movie is compared to Captain America: The First Avenger at times, and that film had a 48%-52% market split.

jGG7EOI.jpg

IcCeXwn.jpg

Remaining release dates:

- Egypt: 23 June 2017

- Spain: 23 June 2017

- Japan: 25 August 2017

FORBES.COM Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Is Still The Energizer Bunny Of Superhero Movies With $653M Worldwide

Wonder Woman is the Energizer Bunny of blockbuster movies. She just keeps going and going and going... The Gal Gadot/Chris Pine superhero adventure earned another $27.5 million for Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. over its fourth weekend of domestic release, dropping just 39% from last weekend's $41m haul. That's one of the smallest fourth-weekend drops ever for a movie that opened above $100m over its first respective Fri-Sun frame. It fell just a little less or just a little more than (random hodge-podge of examples) The Jungle Book (-44%), Finding Dory (-50%), The Secret Life of Pets (-36%), Iron Man (-35%), The Avengers (-34%), Shrek 2 (-38%), The Dark Knight (-38%) and Spider-Man (-36%).

If that weekend estimate holds tomorrow (and the actual figure has been higher than estimates every single prior weekend), it will have the tenth-biggest fourth weekend gross of all time, right between The Jungle Book ($24.48m last year) and The Phantom Menace ($25.6m in 1999). Here’s a crazy stat, which is worth repeating from yesterday. The film has “fallen” 75% from its first $100.251m opening weekend to said $25.1m fourth weekend, a plunge not far from the second-weekend drops for the likes of Alien: Covenant (-70%), Batman v Superman (-69%) and Fifty Shades of Grey (-73%).

Sure, you've had leggier mega-bucks openers in recent history, like Avatar, Titanic and (relatively speaking) the likes of The Sixth Sense and The Ring. But for a movie like this,  in this "Netflix and chill" era, which opened this high, to be taking these tiny weekend-to-weekend drops, well, I keep having to move the goal posts in terms of reasonable expectations. With $318.38 million in 24 days, it's now outpacing The Secret Life of Pets, Deadpool and The Jungle Book. What that means is that, barring a dramatic downturn, $360m is the floor for this one.  And yeah, it is still trailing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, ($380m as of today) but the gap is getting smaller. And Wonder Woman has already earned over 3x its opening weekend, which is already a dynamite multiplier for a superhero movie.

Maybe Wonder Woman gets to $400 million, maybe it has to settle for a "mere" $370-$390m cume. But I really don't see Despicable Me 3 making a run at $390m, nor do I see Spider-Man: Homecoming taking a shot at Sam Raimi's original Spider-Man and its $403m (in 2002 and in 2D) domestic milestone. So yeah, with a huge inflation-asterisk, Wonder Woman is now above the every J.K. Rowling movie sans Deathly Hallows part 2. Wonder Woman will soon be the third-biggest DC Comics grosser (in North America and not adjusted for inflation) after The Dark Knight Rises ($448m in 2012) and The Dark Knight ($534m in 2008). Once it gets to $374m, it'll be behind only those two films along with Superman ($134m in 1978/$507m in 2017 dollars) and Batman ($251m in 1989/$556m in 2017 grosses) in terms of inflation-adjusted totals.

If it catches up with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, it'll be the biggest comic book/superhero movie ever sans Batman, Iron Man and/or Spider-Man. And it is already among the biggest female-led action/genre films ever, behind the last two Star Wars movies and the first three Hunger Games films, but it'll pass Mockingjay part I ($333m in 2D) soon enough. In other milestones, its worldwide gross has passed the $609 million (in 2008 and sans 3D) global gross of Phyllida Lloyd's Mamma Mia! to be the biggest live-action grosser of all time from a female director. We've talked a lot about conventional wisdom in terms of what makes a hit movie, so I'd like to again note that, in 2008, Mamma Mia made more money worldwide than Kung Fu Panda and Iron Man. For that matter, so did Will Smith's Hancock.

JipkJ1J.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Wonder Woman is the Energizer Bunny of blockbuster movies. She just keeps going and going and going...

...my heart will go on and on...

This generation's "Titanic", without the sappy songs four times an hour on the radio.

If you look at the movie from a female viewership perspective, it is having the similar pull that SS did which is a strong female lead will draw in a big and longer term female viewing audience. It looks like Sony has acknowledged this with their Spider-verse female movie announcements. I wonder how fast Marvel will look to expand their offerings targeted at the female audience seeing as they just have Captain Marvel in the works. I know that my wife and daughter were hoping there would be a Black Widow solo flick after the first Avengers film - that one would seem to be a no brainer that could follow the Wonder Woman story outline but set in the Cold War era.

Edited by kimik

14 hours ago, valiantman said:

...my heart will go on and on...

This generation's "Titanic", without the sappy songs four times an hour on the radio.

whoa down. Titanic did 10% more BO in its 4th weekend in US than it did in its 1st, WW's 4th weekend is 75% below 1st.  Titanic initial run did $600MM US in 1997 $'s, WW might hit $400MM in 2017 $'s.  Int'l Titanic did $1.2BB in 1997 $'s, WW might hit $400MM in 2017 $'s.

Edited by paperheart

10 hours ago, paperheart said:

whoa down. Titanic did 10% more BO in it's 4th weekend in US than it did in its 1st, WW's 4th weekend is 75% below 1st.  Titanic initial run did $600MM US in 1997 $'s, WW might hit $400MM in 2017 $'s.  Int'l Titanic did $1.2BB in 1997 $'s, WW might hit $400MM in 2017 $'s.

...and MTV was the only cable channel for teens, video games were still boxy, and the only thing to do in the summer was go to the movies or sunburn.

Titanic was not Gone With The Wind, and Wonder Woman isn't Titanic, and LeBron isn't Jordan and Jordan wasn't Chamberlain, and Bonds was no Aaron and Aaron wasn't Babe Ruth.

The point is that Wonder Woman has a specific demographic attending, then attending again, then attending again, while ALSO being an enjoyable movies for everyone else, too.  That specific demographic is young females, who saw Titanic seven, eight, and nine times, where a young woman made a choice to defy her society's demands of her in the 1910s and follow her heart to live her own life.  A generation later, that specific demographic is young females, who are (going to be) seeing Wonder Woman seven, eight, and nine times, where a young woman made a choice to defy her society's demands of her in the 1910s and follow her heart to live her own life... and save the world.

I'm not surprised a bunch of 30+ year old comic book dudes on a message board don't get it.  Wives and daughters get it.  

Transformers 5 will make $1.2B worldwide by being "big robots that fight".  I suppose that's more like Titanic because of the $1.2B, if that's what you're comparing.

13 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I think the real news here is: "Mamma Mia" made over $600 million???!?!?!?! 

$144M domestic.

If they had done it with robots, it would have made an extra $300M in China.

Edited by valiantman

Saw the movie last week while on vacation with the fam.   First showing we tried was sold out.  Bought tix for the later show, which also ended up selling out. 

Loved it.  Gadot was fantastic as the lead. She's a star. I liked Pine and thought he brought some good comedic timing to the movie.  Definitely the best DC effort (not including Nolan Bats).  Right up there with some of the better Marvel movies. 

My only complaint was it was too long (but that is my standard movie complaint). 

I'll be watching this one again. 

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

$144M domestic.

If they had done it with robots, it would have made an extra $300M in China.

I'd like to option your singing robot picture. I smell $$$!

Domestic Box Office final weekend tally is in, and Wonder Woman performed just below final estimates. But with Cars coming in even lower, Wonder Woman ends up #2 at the box office.

igJdFv5.png

We'll see tonight what the final International Box Office tally will be.

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Is About To Face Its Biggest Box Office Challenge Yet

There are many factors that played into Wonder Woman's remarkable success, such as good reviews, strong buzz, a deluge of free publicity concerning the film's effect on its targeted demographics and the idea that it was a movie that audiences had genuinely been waiting for. But one thing to note is that it was arguably the only really good live-action "big" movie for most of its run to date.  But, as of Wednesday, the film is about to lose one of its biggest advantages. To wit, it's actually going to have to hold its own against good movies.

Edgar Wright's Baby Driver is a pretty solid action comedy with a novel premise, a game cast and some narrative surprises along the way. In a different world, it would be a surefire sleeper hit, but in 2017 I hold my breath for any non-tentpole movie in wide release. Heck, I would argue that its biggest advantage heading into release is that it's the first genuinely good mainstream studio programmer we've had since Wonder Woman.

I don't see Spider-Man: Homecoming until Wednesday, but the early buzz is positive and I doubt Sony would drop the embargo nearly two weeks before its July 7 opening day if it were a stinker. As you learned an hour ago, 20th Century Fox's War for the Planet of the Apes, which opens on July 14, is indeed very good. And that's also the day when the terrific The Big Sick goes wide. I can't speak for Luc Besson's Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets or Chris Nolan's Dunkirk on the 21st of July, but I'd be shocked if they were less than solid genre fare.

All of this will combine with the expected loss of screens for the Gal Gadot-starring/Patty Jenkins-directed superhero adventure. To be fair, if the newbies continue to underwhelm then they may lose screens faster than the DC Films prequel. But if one of the factors in Wonder Woman's incredible legs (at $24.9 million, it scored the biggest fourth-weekend gross of any movie since Star Wars: The Force Awakens) is its underwhelming competition, we should be curious as to how it will hold up against the relatively good "big" summer movies over the next few weeks.

There's a lot of near-term competition coming.

Final worldwide numbers are in, and even though the Domestic Box Office was slightly lower than estimated the International Box Office was higher.

QK5RQxI.jpg

rN3X7Gc.jpg

Remaining release dates:

- Japan: 25 August 2017