• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

Box Office Mojo started a DCEU comparison chart while tracking Wonder Woman progress.

BLaivtE.jpg

It is interesting to see how Wonder Woman achieved the domestic box office results it has starting out with the lowest theater distribution count of the four movies (BvS had 91 more theaters), lowest opening weekend, and yet achieved what it has in 28 days that took the other three movies 84 to 98 days. And that opening weekend only contributes 31.2% of the current domestic total, demonstrating how word-of-mouth helped pick up speed afterwards.

I think a lot of people and theaters, myself included, were a bit skeptical of WW after the previous DCEU's and wanted to wait for positive word-of-mouth before seeing WW, and may have led to less screens showing WW at the beginning.  After all the good reviews from critics and moviegoers, people (myself included) felt a lot better about dropping around $25 (more in 3d or imax?) for a date night movie.  We definitely would have skipped it if the reviews (from both critics and from friends and members of this forum) put it more in line with the Suicide Squad (which I still mostly enjoyed) or BvS (which I barely enjoyed)

We saw it week 3 and enjoyed it thoroughly (the ending could have been better but still very entertaining).

I've seen it twice and will gladly see it again once it hits my local $2 theater (currently showing Guardians 2 and Pirates um...5?)

Here's hoping there's enough meat to Justice League that Whedon can edit a solid cut.

Oscars woke up to 'negligence': 9 new Academy members praise diversity push

GqMbvK2.jpg

What movies could receive their Oscar votes next year?

CHOPRA: I think it’s going to be a great year for women. [I support] Sofia Coppola’s The Beguiled and of course Wonder Woman. Also Get Out! I’m also really looking forward to Blade Runner 2049.

CREWS: Gal Gadot gives one of the best performances I’ve seen this year in Wonder Woman. She blew it up. A lot of people are complaining about it being her first big thing, but they don’t complain when a white guy does the same thing. It’s never an issue if a white man does one great job and now he’s a star for the rest of his life. Why can’t the same thing happen for Gal? When I look at Wonder Woman, I’ve never seen anything like it. It sent goose bumps down my spine. I got choked up in the theater because I felt like, This is possible now, whereas before it actually was not possible; Wonder Woman broke a paradigm. When you actually see it break, it’s like, Oh sh–!

LATHAN: I really loved Wonder Woman. Patty Jenkins did an amazing job on that. It’s so empowering. I went with my mother and cousins, and the whole evening we were doing our Wonder Woman poses! It was so inspiring! It hit me on more than an entertainment level. It hit me on a deeply empowering and uplifting level. That’s exciting for me to know that little boys and little girls are going to see that in their consciousness as they grow up.

Edited by Bosco685

FORBES.COM Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Tops $715 Million, Pushes DC Films Past $3 Billion

Wonder Woman earned $4.265 million on Monday, a jump of 39% from last Monday (a lot of folks were out of school and not at work) and just 19% down from Sunday. That was enough to push the film over the $350m mark in just 32 days of domestic release. Now, with a $4.075m Tuesday (+4% from last Tuesday), it has earned $354.6m in 33 days. So it's heading past the $355m mark today. The entire four-film (and counting) DC Films franchise has now passed $3 billion worldwide.

Among all films that have crossed said  $350 million domestic milestone, it is the 22nd-fastest, between Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (34 days) and Spider-Man (31 days).  Oh, and of the films that took 34 days or less to cross $350m, only Revenge of the Sith ($380m), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II ($381m) and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($383m and winding down) ended up below $400m domestic. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 took 30 days to pass said milestone and it had $358.1m domestic by the end of its 33rd day of release.

Unless it drops dead starting today (or starting Thursday night at 7:00 pm), it’ll start pacing ahead of Guardians 2 in the next few days.

:flipbait:

With the last 5 days, it is now a horse-race between Guardians 2 and WW.

After 33 days of release, Guardian had grossed $358,116,014, while WW is now at $354,602,300.

WW has made up an amazing amount of ground considering Guardians had earned $43 million more after the first weekend.

Who woulda thunk it?  It seemed people were ready to hate WW before it even came out.  Quite remarkable.

1 minute ago, JLA Brad said:

After 33 days of release, Guardian had grossed $358,116,014, while WW is now at $354,602,300.

WW has made up an amazing amount of ground considering Guardians had earned $43 million more after the first weekend.

Who woulda thunk it?  It seemed people were ready to hate WW before it even came out.  Quite remarkable.

I don't know if people were ready to hate it, but I think people were pretty tentative, based on what the DCEU has put out so far.  I actually think the fact that it was 'good enough' gave a lot of critics license to 'overpraise' the movie.  Which is not to say I didn't thoroughly enjoy it, but the ending was still a bit messy and it wasn't quite as much of a champion of feminism as critics seem to think (at least from my POV, although definitely a victory for women's action movies).  I think a lot of people were waiting for the reviews before going to watch.  Whereas with GOTG2, people were reasonably sure it would give them what they expected, and it performed up to their level of expectations both in terms of the actual movie and the box office receipts.  Kind of par for the course for marvel, but not a game changer or outlier, although having sequels consistently perform to expectations is actually pretty important, and not always as easy as it seems.

24 minutes ago, JLA Brad said:

there's little chance it won't pass GOTG2 in US even w/ some real big movies coming in the next couple weeks; July isn't going to be like June where there was one domestic BO casualty after another.  remembering how WB kept Superman Returns in theaters as it inched toward $200MM, i still believe WW can get to $400MM US.

Edited by paperheart

2 hours ago, revat said:

I don't know if people were ready to hate it, but I think people were pretty tentative, based on what the DCEU has put out so far.  I actually think the fact that it was 'good enough' gave a lot of critics license to 'overpraise' the movie.  Which is not to say I didn't thoroughly enjoy it, but the ending was still a bit messy and it wasn't quite as much of a champion of feminism as critics seem to think (at least from my POV, although definitely a victory for women's action movies).  I think a lot of people were waiting for the reviews before going to watch.  Whereas with GOTG2, people were reasonably sure it would give them what they expected, and it performed up to their level of expectations both in terms of the actual movie and the box office receipts.  Kind of par for the course for marvel, but not a game changer or outlier, although having sequels consistently perform to expectations is actually pretty important, and not always as easy as it seems.

Speaking to the women who saw the movie (including my wife) there was something there that resonated with them that I as a male did not see/feel

I enjoyed it as a comic book/movie but to them it was a little more special 

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

It's a little unfair to compare it to GOTG2 as it's a sequel

I compare them because they have been released within about a month of each other.  If you want to compare it to the first Guardians, it has already grossed more than that film did in its entire run.

Much as I'd love to see it cream Guardians (WW was the far far better film, I thought), it may not be able to catch up.

As others have noted, WW is going to drop _fast_ beginning this weekend.

Tons of competition coming...and it looks like some high-quality competition to boot.

I saw WW a couple weeks back and think it's easily the DCU's most complete film -- acting good, direction solid, plot made sense based on the characters.  I haven't been a fan of Snyder's DC style apart from the visuals, so WW was a nice change of pace.

Best of it:

Gal Gadot's acting (a nice surprise) and WW's arc from determined naivete to sad understanding

Chemistry between Gadot and Pine

Origin story

Welcome humor to balance the tone

Worst of it:

Dull or lackluster villains (as much as Marvel has a villain problem, DC's is worse thus far except for Michael Shannon's take on Zod)

Some rather pedestrian CGI work

Underwhelming 'final battle' with Ares

Overall, I'd say 7.5/10 and a fine start to Gadot's career in the role.

Dan

41 minutes ago, Drummy said:

I saw WW a couple weeks back and think it's easily the DCU's most complete film -- acting good, direction solid, plot made sense based on the characters.  I haven't been a fan of Snyder's DC style apart from the visuals, so WW was a nice change of pace.

Best of it:

Gal Gadot's acting (a nice surprise) and WW's arc from determined naivete to sad understanding

Chemistry between Gadot and Pine

Origin story

Welcome humor to balance the tone

Worst of it:

Dull or lackluster villains (as much as Marvel has a villain problem, DC's is worse thus far except for Michael Shannon's take on Zod)

Some rather pedestrian CGI work

Underwhelming 'final battle' with Ares

Overall, I'd say 7.5/10 and a fine start to Gadot's career in the role.

Dan

Great and concise review. 

I personally bump it up to an 8 as I enjoyed David Thewlis. 

I also thought the final battle/cgi was imperfect, but I enjoyed seeing ARES finally don the armor I remember (almost a nod back to George Perez).

... and I enjoyed some of David's subtleties inhabiting the role for a bit.

Not sure I agree with the writer 100%, as there are countries that have banned the film because Gal Gadot is from Israel, and in countries like Russia they have made it a big issue Wonder Woman is a female superhero so therefore not as believable. That is going to have overseas impact.

FORBES.COM Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Is Not Struggling Overseas. It's Over-Performing Domestically

Wonder Woman made another $2.075 million yesterday, down 25% from its previous Wednesday, which brought its domestic total to $356.677m. With a $367.7m overseas total as of Tuesday, the film now has at least $725m worldwide. Yes, Wonder Woman has made just slightly more outside of North America than in North America, with a 49/51 split. Yes, the figure will remain “advantage overseas” unless it craps the bed in Japan next month, but it’s not the split we’ve grown accustomed to with these big-scale blockbusters.

And as much as we might like to debate and dissect conspiracy theories concerning a female-led superhero movie not going nuts overseas, there are two things to consider. Well, three if you note that Paramount/Viacom Inc.'s Captain America: The First Avenger made 47% of its $371 million worldwide total in North America back in 2011. But I digress. First, the Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. film over-performed in North America. Second, plenty of big franchises don’t go crazy overseas the first time around.

The truth of the matter is that Wonder Woman is making more of its money in North America partially because it made more money than anticipated in North America. And since the character isn’t necessarily as beloved outside of North America, there is a wait-and-see approach. But we can expect Wonder Woman 2 to make up the difference.

Even a Russian movie periodical pointed out for that region why it assumed to stumble.

Why 'Wonder Woman' Is Catching on More Slowly Overseas

One country where Wonder Woman has lagged well behind other superhero fare is Russia. "Superhero movies with a woman as the main character are rather untypical, which has had some impact on the box office performance of Wonder Woman," notes Russia's Exhibitor's Bulletin. So far, Wonder Woman has earned $8.4 million in Russia, compared with $27.8 million for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which debuted earlier this summer (the original Guardians earned $23.5 million).