• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

Maybe this film will surpass Suicide Squad after all.

Wonder Woman Extending Its Run In China

Wonder Woman is getting a little extra time to surpass the $100 million mark at the Chinese box office, as the film's engagement in the People's Republic has been extended until July 31.

That's according to a Chinese movie poster (translated on Reddit), which gives the end date of the film's theatrical engagement.

Due to restrictions on foreign films in the competitive Chinese market, lengthy engagements for films that are not produced or co-produced by Chinese firms are uncommon. Numerous blockbusters including Marvel's Iron Man 3 have chosen to take on Chinese backers in part because it can ease the process of getting government approvals.

:wishluck:

Kevin Feige Calls Wonder Woman's Success "Awesome"

wonder-woman-kevin-feige-1004987.png

Recently, Kevin Feige spoke with Yahoo! Movies about his upcoming work within the MCU. The site dropped a question about Wonder Woman, and it was there Feige said he was excited about the heroine’s film.

“The success of Wonder Woman is awesome, and just puts to rest the fallacy that people don’t want to see female superheroes,” Feige explained.

“I’ve always been a fan of the character, and I thought what they did with the film was perfect,” the producer continued and even complimented the film’s World War I setting. “To see another period superhero film was awesome.”

In fact, it appears that Feige’s love for Wonder Woman was a wild one during his childhood. The producer admitted he used to play pretend and act as if he was the Themysciran warrior. “I remember pretending to deflect bullets off of my wrists and spinning around to get a costume on?” Feige revealed.

58 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

It needs to hit just shy of $340 million domestic to surpass both BvS and Suicide Squad on an inflation-adjusted basis. Here's hoping!

WW should hit 340+ mill by Sunday. It's only been dropping 30% - 40% weekly, which is better than most Superhero movies. Spider-Man Homecoming should push that closer to 50%+ next weekend though. Still, at this rate it could end it's run just shy of GOTG 2 domestically.

1 hour ago, chezmtghut said:

WW should hit 340+ mill by Sunday. It's only been dropping 30% - 40% weekly, which is better than most Superhero movies. Spider-Man Homecoming should push that closer to 50%+ next weekend though. Still, at this rate it could end it's run just shy of GOTG 2 domestically.

+1, could hit $340MM on Saturday

I think that WW has a chance to surpass GOTG2 if it continues the strong holds it has been getting.  Spider-Man will decide the race.  I suspect it will be extremely close between WW and GOTG2 at the end of their runs.  

An article explaining why in certain countries Wonder Woman is not exploding like it is in other areas. It sounds like the two biggest contributors are 'unfamiliar character' and 'female superhero'. But 'origin story' and Gal Gadot as a fairly new recognized actor also play into the results. No shock there.

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: Why 'Wonder Woman' Is Catching on More Slowly Overseas

Revenue in the U.S. and Canada accounts for $322 million, or 49 percent of the bottom line, compared with roughly $336 million to date internationally, or 51 percent of total revenue (hardly a poor showing). Still, in many cases a Hollywood tentpole collects 60 to 65 percent of its total take from the international box office.

So why is Wonder Woman following a different course?

"Historically, an origin superhero film does big business domestically," says Warner Bros. distribution chief Jeff Goldstein.

Case in point: rival Disney and Marvel's Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), likewise featuring a superhero who has strong American roots but isn't a well-known comic book hero overseas, grossed $176.7 million domestically (48 percent) and $193.9 million internationally (52 percent). Sequel Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) made huge gains overseas, earning $714.3 million internationally (64 percent) compared with $259.8 million domestically (36 percent). Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy also made strides offshore with each successive film.

Deadpool is another example, with 46 percent of its total earnings ($783.1 million) coming from North America, and 54 percent from overseas. (The sequel has just begun production).

Also, Wonder Woman has vastly overperformed in the U.S., throwing off the curve, according to numerous analysts. There's also the matter of Wonder Woman featuring a female superhero.

One country where Wonder Woman has lagged well behind other superhero fare is Russia. "Superhero movies with a woman as the main character are rather untypical, which has had some impact on the box office performance of Wonder Woman," notes Russia's Exhibitor's Bulletin. So far, Wonder Woman has earned $8.4 million in Russia, compared with $27.8 million for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which debuted earlier this summer (the original Guardians earned $23.5 million).

Russia is proving problematic for many Hollywood films of late. But one market that Hollywood relies on heavily is China, where Wonder Woman has grossed roughly $88 million, behind expectations. Box-office analysts in the Middle Kingdom note the superhero character isn't well known expect to hard-core geeks. Furthermore, movies from DC Comics haven't been able to match Marvel titles in China.

Warner Bros. and DC's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice topped out at $96 million in China in 2016, compared with $181 million for Marvel's threequel, Captain America: Civil War the same year.

Foreign audiences also remain more enamored with celebrities than U.S. moviegoers — Wonder Woman stars relative newcomer Gal Gadot — evidenced by two 2017 summer tentpoles, Johnny Depp's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales and Tom Cruise's The Mummy. Both those films have fallen on their sword domestically but found treasure overseas.

Disney's Dead Men Tell No Tales has limped to $180.6 million in North America, compared with $519 million to date overseas, including more than $170 million in China. The Mummy has earned a mere $70 million domestically, versus $275 million internationally to date.

So Wonder Woman's China take is considered disappointing because it's just 92% that of Batman v. Superman?

And those characters have had how many other film appearances? (hint: at least 5 each).

Edited by Gatsby77

29 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

So Wonder Woman's China take is considered disappointing because it's just 92% that of Batman v. Superman?

And those characters have had how many other film appearances? (hint: at least 5 each).

I think the article was comparing BvS's China results to Civil War, and showing what a large difference there was. So the assumption on their part is the MCU seems to be more familiar to the Chinese market, and therefore more accepted.

At least, that is what I saw as their intent.

Edited by Bosco685

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think the article was comparing BvS's China results to Civil War, and showing what a large difference there was. So the assumption on their part is the MCU seems to be more familiar to the Chinese market, and therefore more accepted.

GOTG 2 only did $101MM in China vs $86MM for GOTG 1; Dr Strange $109MM - AoU and Cap:CW were outliers

33 minutes ago, paperheart said:

GOTG 2 only did $101MM in China vs $86MM for GOTG 1; Dr Strange $109MM - AoU and Cap:CW were outliers

And the massive jump between The Avengers and IM3 was that whole local promoter engagement, and inserting that Chinese actors spot that story-wise makes no sense.

The Avengers: $86.3MM

Iron Man 3: $121.2MM

There is no comparison between those two movies when it comes to story quality leading to the results difference. It was all about unique market appeal.

51 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I'd buy that if not for the qualifier on Wonder Woman that the "roughly $88 million" was "behind expectations."

If BvS -- with bigger-name actors and far better known characters -- grossed just $96 million a year ago, I have a _really_ hard time swallowing that >90% of that gross for Wonder Woman was under analyst expectations.

48 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'd buy that if not for the qualifier on Wonder Woman that the "roughly $88 million" was "behind expectations."

If BvS -- with bigger-name actors and far better known characters -- grossed just $96 million a year ago, I have a _really_ hard time swallowing that >90% of that gross for Wonder Woman was under analyst expectations.

I'd have to agree with that as well. Wonder Woman, an a fairly unknown in these regions, is going to come in lower than your more familiar characters. $88MM to me when compared to the average superhero movie is quite the big win. So if their assumption was it should be much higher, than that was just trying to plug yet another article point that just isn't there.

I had hoped this movie would exceed $550MM worldwide. Between the extremely positive critical reviews and the 'A' CinemaScore, this movie has blown far past early expectations. I can only imagine the pressure any sequel is going to experience to far outpace this one.

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Is The Biggest Hit Ever From A Female Director

Wonder Woman has just passed and will continue to pass a number of milestones. First, the film earned $2.77 million on Wednesday, dropping 29% from Tuesday and just 28% from its previous Wednesday gross. In terms of day-to-day drops, it's still pacing just over/under the comparisons I've been using since the beginning, namely Toy Story 3, The Jungle Book, The Secret Life of Pets, Maleficent and Guardians of the Galaxy. With $327.854m in 27 days, the film has officially cleared the domestic total of Suicide Squad ($325.1m) to be the second-biggest DC Films grosser ever in North America.

And if it can earn $2.51 million today (quite possible considering the pattern), then today is the day that it passes the $330.361m domestic gross of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice to become the biggest DCEU movie ever in North America. And before you say "But... inflation!," just know that it'll exceed the $337m/$338m domestic totals of Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman by the end of the weekend at the absolute latest. And that means it is also the third-biggest DC Comics adaptation ever in North America behind The Dark Knight ($534 million in 2008) and The Dark Knight Rises ($448m in 2012).

The picture should make around $16.5 million this weekend for a new cume of over/under $345m. So by Sunday, it will be just over/under the adjusted $344m gross of Superman II ($109m in 1981) and the adjusted $347m gross of Batman Returns ($162m in 1992). After that, even in terms of inflation, it'll be behind just Batman Forever ($184 million in 1995/$374m in 2017 grosses), Superman: The Movie ($134m in 1978/$507m today), The Dark Knight Rises ($509m adjusted), Batman ($251m in 1989/$556m adjusted) and The Dark Knight ($656m adjusted).

Oh, and once it gets past $333 million domestic and surpasses Guardians of the Galaxy, it'll be the second-biggest comic book superhero movie ever without Iron Man, Spider-Man or Batman, behind only Deadpool ($363m in 2D and with an R-rating) and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($381m-and-counting).

:applause:

WW proves a few things to me

1. People are perfectly accepting of female heroes.

2. DC can make movies both critics and fans like.

3. Make a good movie and the box office will reflect that.  To me WW is proof that a marginal to bad movie with SS and BvS absolutely had a negative affect on box office.

4. Marvel fans are capable of liking DC movies.

5. Super Hero fatigue will happen, but can be greatly delayed by producing good original films.