• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

Just now, kagenish said:

I think $400M is a sure thing the movie is still in the top 5 every week. the movie has some legs because people still want to go out and see it again with friends or family members I could see it staying in theaters until August. and I give it two more weeks before finally drops off the top 5 box office numbers. the real question is can it make it to the $450M before it ends it's run at the box office.

I like your faith!

:tink:

:wishluck:

6 minutes ago, kagenish said:

I'm still trying to find time to go see it a 3rd time 

I can't wait to own it. Though I can't bring myself to buy the $129 movie + statue set just yet.

:ohnoez:

46 minutes ago, kagenish said:

I think $400M is a sure thing the movie is still in the top 5 every week. the movie has some legs because people still want to go out and see it again with friends or family members I could see it staying in theaters until August. and I give it two more weeks before finally drops off the top 5 box office numbers. the real question is can it make it to the $450M before it ends it's run at the box office.

will be lucky to stay in the  top 5 this weekend; Apes, SMH, DM3, Baby Driver, Big Sick. 

28 minutes ago, paperheart said:

will be lucky to stay in the  top 5 this weekend; Apes, SMH, DM3, Baby Driver, Big Sick. 

I'm not sure if Big Sick would make the top 5 it only has made a little over $7.5M. 

33 minutes ago, kagenish said:

I'm not sure if Big Sick would make the top 5 it only has made a little over $7.5M. 

it's per screen avg is running 2.5x WW currently and it's expanding # of screens by 7x this weekend; if per screen avg gets cut in half it still beats WW this weekend 

The Hollywood Reporter: 'Wonder Woman' Holding Better Than Any Superhero Movie in 15 Years

wonder_woman_still_4.jpg

Word of mouth is a wondrous thing.

Look no further than Warner Bros. and DC's Wonder Woman. The summer blockbuster boasts the best hold of any superhero film in more than 15 years at the North American box office, where even the most successful summer tentpoles can catch a case of sunstroke and retreat to the shade rather quickly amid so much competition. Wonder Woman is the unusual exception.

Directed by Patty Jenkins and starring Gal Gadot, Wonder Woman is still going strong as it heads into its seventh week. The movie, grossing $371.3 million through Tuesday, is now assured of topping out at $390 million or more domestically, becoming the No. 8 comic book adaptation of all time, not accounting for inflation. And it will soon pass up Disney and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($385.8 million) in North America to become the top summer earner.

That also means Wonder Woman will earn roughly 3.8 times the $103.3 million it collected when it launched over the June 2-4 weekend — the best multiple for the genre in decades. Currently, the film's multiple is 3.6, slightly ahead of the first Spider-Man in 2002. The first Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) was also a word-of-mouth sensation, sporting a 3.5 multiple, while Nolan's sequel, The Dark Knight (2008), powered to a 3.4 multiple.

"It feels like Wonder Woman will play all the way through August," says Warners' Jeff Goldstein, president of domestic distribution. "Right now, the movie is still in about 3,000 locations. Usually, the theater count would be a fraction of that at this point."

The critically acclaimed film is also destined to become the studio's third-biggest movie domestically after The Dark Knight ($534.9 million) and The Dark Knight Rises ($448.1 million), again not accounting for inflation. It is about to pass up the final Harry Potter film ($381 million) after eclipsing American Sniper ($350.1 million) and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ($330.4 million).

:applause:

On 12/07/2017 at 4:50 PM, kagenish said:

$450 million is out of the question - good holds or not.  At best it will limp past $400 million.  Not that I wouldn't want to see it do better...

Christopher Nolan loved ‘Wonder Woman’, keeps up with DC movies as a fan now

darkknight3.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&ss

There’s been a long list of celebrities and people in the industry praising Wonder Woman, and now we can add The Dark Knight Trilogy director Christopher Nolan to that list.

“I did and I loved it,” Nolan told Yahoo when asked if he saw Wonder Woman.

On the topic of keeping up with the other DC movies, Nolan added: “I mean, I watch the films. I enjoy films very much as a moviegoer these days. I spent 10 years of my life dealing with one of the greatest characters in popular fiction. It was a great honor and a privilege to work with that, but there’s a time to pass it on to new people.”

Nolan helped kick off the DC Extended Universe by producing Man of Steel, and he stayed on as an executive producer for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Forbes.com can't stop writing about this movie. I think because it is so unique how heavily supported at the box office it is by movie-goers.

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Box Office: The Leggiest Superhero Movie Since 'Blade'

We should note that among comic book and/or superhero movies that opened on a Friday, it’s already the leggiest such mainstream offering since… well, since Blade nearly 19 years ago. Prior to the early-to-mid 2000’s, it was not unusual for a moderately successful movie to do 4-5x their respective opening weekend even sans a holiday opening, an Oscar run, or some special zeitgeist-y situation.

So, yeah, there are plenty of comic book/superhero movies in from Batman to Blade that pulled in more than 4x their opening weekends. Tracy, for example, made $103 million from a $23m debut, for a 4.47x multiplier. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles made $135m from a $25m opening in early 1990, which is a now-unthinkable 5.4x multiplier.

And infamous “quick-kill” blockbuster Batman Returns pulled 3.44x its $47 million debut weekend for a $162m total, which now would be considered exceptionally leggy. Batman Forever earned $184m from a $52m debut (3.5x) and even Batman & Robin made $107m from a $43m opening (2.5x), horrific 20 years ago but almost normal by today’s standards.

As of today, Wonder Woman has earned $373.8 million in 42 days of domestic release (just past Spider-Man 2's $373.5m gross back in 2004), for a multiplier of 3.617x. Now that’s already leggier than Spider-Man, The Dark Knight ($534m/$158m = 3.37x), Guardians of the Galaxy ($333m/$94m = 3.54x) and Deadpool ($363m/$132m = 2.75x).

Yeah - Scott Mendelson has a hard-on for the film -- but he also knows what gets him clicks. He did daily Episode 7 and Rogue One posts as well.

Doesn't matter - he's still my favorite critic.

Notable: Box Office Mojo is predicted $6.9 million for Wonder Woman this weekend and a # 7 finish -- behind the aforementioned films and "Wish Upon."

I'll guess it will over-perform slightly and end up in sixth place, but either way gets it to $380 million+ by weekend's end -- which means $400 million may indeed happen.

6 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - Scott Mendelson has a hard-on for the film -- but he also knows what gets him clicks. He did daily Episode 7 and Rogue One posts as well.

Doesn't matter - he's still my favorite critic.

Notable: Box Office Mojo is predicted $6.9 million for Wonder Woman this weekend and a # 7 finish -- behind the aforementioned films and "Wish Upon."

I'll guess it will over-perform slightly and end up in sixth place, but either way gets it to $380 million+ by weekend's end -- which means $400 million may indeed happen.

Wish Upon won't do $5MM.  WW could still sneak in at #5 if it edges Baby Driver (my favorite movie of the summer, so far)

$750MM worldwide, and a 50:50 split right now between Domestic and International. Though the latter's updates don't come in until Sunday's.

TIQdCLU.jpg

n9TX3Gv.jpg

Remaining release dates:

- Japan: 25 August 2017

Edited by Bosco685

Wonder Woman took in $2MM last night, a Friday-to-Friday 33% drop.

9ZwBvOk.jpg

'Wonder Woman' Has Passed $375 Million In North America

The Gal Gadot/Chris Pine actioner earned another $2 million yesterday, a Friday-to-Friday drop of just 33%. That also brings the film's domestic total to $375.8m after 43 days of release, which is around $100m more than I thought/hoped it would make after its $103.251m opening weekend.

Part of the reason for its long legs is its ability to hang onto the theatrical real estate. And yet part of why it is holding onto the theaters is due to its legs. You see how this is working out for Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. and friends. Anyway, the film is positioned for a $6.7 million (-31%) seventh weekend, which will put it at $380.5m in 45 days of domestic release. That's not a land-speed record or anything (The Dark Knight crossed $500m on its 45th day back in 2008), but it is incredibly impressive.

It should pass Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 next weekend to become the summer's biggest domestic earner. It's already the biggest domestic earner not released by Walt Disney or Universal/Comcast Corp. since The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ($423m) in late 2013, and it will soon be the biggest comic book and/or superhero movie not involving Batman, Iron Man or Spider-Man. If it catches Spider-Man ($403m) and Iron Man 3 ($409m), which is possible if not plausible (and, again, not adjusted for inflation), it will be the biggest domestic superhero movie grosser behind only Chris Nolan's two Dark Knight sequels and the first two Avengers movies.

(worship)

Edited by Bosco685

It will be curious to see how Homecoming does with the increased competition this weekend. WW had bigger second Thursday and Friday numbers than Homecoming did, and the male fans will be going to the War of the Planet of the Apes. It may work out that release date timing is the biggest factor for both WW and GotG 2 - less competition/failed big budget competition (i.e. PotC/POS and Transformers 5) domestically helped those two films.

I would not be surprised if WW exceeded its weekend projections. There is not much competition for it with the female audience. 

I saw Homecoming last night and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it -- probably my second-favorite Spidey movie after 2.

But for me it's not an instant classic like Wonder Woman.

Reminds me of 2012, when I actually saw Amazing Spider-Man and Dark Knight Rises back-to-back, and I remember virtually nothing of the prior film because of how epic Batman was by comparison. Like - I'd even forgotten that Emma Stone was in it.

DEADLINE: Wonder Woman Catching Up On Guardians 2

And that Wonder Woman: She’s chasing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 to become this summer’s highest grossing film. That Marvel sequel is in play at 399 sites this weekend and will see an estimated running cume in weekend 11 of $386.6M. By Sunday, Warner Bros./DC’s warrior princess will be $5.8M shy of overtaking the Star-Lord gang. Wonder Woman will see its fifth ease into the thirty-percentile range this weekend with an estimated $6.6M.

6.) Wonder Woman (WB), 2,744 theaters (-347) / $2M Fri. (-33%)/ 3-day cume: $6.6M (-33%)/ Total: $380.4M / Wk 7

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Is Now Sure To Be Summer's Biggest Hit

Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.'s Wonder Woman earned another $6.885 million in its seventh weekend of release, dropping just 30% despite losing another 347 theaters. That brings the $150 million superhero movie's domestic total to $380.686m in 45 days. That puts it around $6m behind Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($386.5m as of today) so it should pass the Walt Disney/Marvel sci-fi sequel by the end of next week (or soon after) to become the summer's biggest domestic grosser.

And with Spider-Man: Homecoming probably topping out at $295 million at best (horrors, I know) and Despicable Me 3 shooting for $275m as the best-case-scenario (#CanThisFranchiseBeSaved?), I think we can call it. Unless Dunkirk goes insane, Valerian becomes the next Star Wars and/or The Dark Tower becomes the next Fellowship of the Ring (none of these things are likely), Wonder Woman is your summer domestic champion.

At $380.7 million, it is pennies away from passing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II ($381m in 2011) to become Warner Bros.' third-biggest domestic grosser ever, behind only The Dark Knight Rises ($448m in 2012 and sans 3D) and The Dark Knight ($534m in 2008 and sans 3D).

Again, $800 million worldwide isn't a guarantee, but if it catches fire in Japan on August 25th, well, that becomes more plausible every week.

I wonder how this will go over in Japan.