• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

Interesting article. Now, how can other moves factor in some of these learnings?

‘Wonder Woman’: Female and Older Moviegoers Powered Box Office, New Study Shows

The stellar box office performance by “Wonder Woman” has been propelled by strong support among female moviegoers and older patrons, according to a study by marketing data analytics firm Movio.

The Gal Gadot tentpole has now taken in $356.7 million domestically in 34 days — an impressive three and a half times its $103 million opening weekend — with plenty of pull at multiplexes. On Wednesday, the day after Independence Day, it pulled in $2.1 million at 3,404 sites and has topped “Inside Out” as the 38th highest domestic grosser of all time.

“‘Wonder Woman’s’ audience evolved in a similar manner as most blockbusters but with some trends notably magnified,” noted Matthew Liebmann, Movio’s senior VP for the Americas. “While the female and 50+ segments of the audience generally grow over the course of the run, ‘Wonder Woman’s’ female audience nearly reached parity with the male audience by the third week.”

He noted that strong reviews and word-of mouth drove its impressive performance after opening weekend. Liebmann told Variety that it’s unprecedented for a superhero tentpole movie to reach male-female parity at any point of its run — due to propensity of male moviegoers to support those titles. The average superhero movie draws a 62% male audience.

“Even ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens,’ which had a strong female lead with Daisy Ridley, never got closer than 56-44 male,” Liebman said.

FORBES.COM Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Will Top $360 Million In 36 Days

Wonder Woman ended its fifth week of domestic release with a $1.98M Thursday, down 26% from its prior Thursday, and a 35-day total of $358.655M. That puts it at 38th place among all-time domestic grossers, between Inside Out ($356M) and Deadpool ($363M in 2D and with an R-rating). Once it passes Deadpool this weekend, it will be the biggest-grossing movie in North America not released by Walt Disney or Universal/Comcast Corp. since The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ($424M) in late 2013. And it is already Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.'s biggest North American earner since The Dark Knight Rises ($448M in 2D) five years ago.

Once it passes Deadpool, it will also be the second-biggest non-sequel/origin story comic book superhero movie in North America behind only Sam Raimi's Spider-Man ($403M in 2002). Inflation and 3D bumps obviously play a role in this stuff, but with all the talk about big movies somewhat under-performing around the world, it's nice to have at least one or two that kick proverbial butt right here in North America. Speaking of inflation, once it passes $374M (sometime next week), it'll be the fifth-biggest DC Comics adaptation ever behind only Superman: The Movie, The Dark Knight Rises, Batman and The Dark Knight.

In terms of worldwide hauls, the Gal Gadot/Chris Pine film has at least $727M worldwide, although with Wednesday and Thursday overseas figures it's probably closer to $730M. So it will soon pass the worldwide hauls of The Matrix Reloaded ($742M in 2D back in 2003), Suicide Squad ($745M last year, but sans China) and X-Men: Days of Future Past ($747M). Anything after the $750M mark is arguably gravy, but at the very least it'll best the $757M Amazing Spider-Man gross toward the end of next weekend. Beyond that, it's just a matter of how far it goes and/or whether Japan gives it one last shot in the arm toward the end of next month.

FORBES.COM Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Is Now All But Certain To Win The Summer

Today is the day where Wonder Woman has officially outpaced Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, so it is now all-but-certain top be the biggest domestic grosser of summer 2017.

Wonder Woman didn’t miss a beat against Spider-Man: Homecoming, earning $10.135M (-35%) in its sixth weekend of release. That’s another very small drop, and it’s enough to put the film at $368.786M domestic on its 38th day of release. That means the film has outgrossed, inflation or 3D bumps notwithstanding, The Secret Life of Pets, The Jungle Book, American Sniper, and Deadpool in North America. That means Wonder Woman is the second-biggest comic book superhero movie ever, behind only Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, that doesn’t feature Batman, Spider-Man or Iron Man.  But that may not be the case for much longer.

The superhero movie is already Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.’s fourth-biggest domestic grosser (not adjusted for inflation), behind only Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II ($381 million), The Dark Knight Rises ($448m) and The Dark Knight. It now sits with $745.8m worldwide (a 49.4/50.6 split). And having passed The Matrix Reloaded ($742m in 2003) worldwide, it is Time Warner Inc.’s second-biggest release, behind on Chris Nolan’s Inception ($821m in 2010) that doesn’t involve Batman, J.K. Rowling or J.R.R. Tolkien. Next up is passing X-Men: Days of Future Past ($747m), Maleficent ($758m) and The Amazing Spider-Man ($757m).

Patty Jenkins is going to be one of the hottest creative leads out there. Warner Bros. is really going to be kicking itself for not locking her in beforehand.

:applause:

It's now less than $5 million away from beating Deadpool domestically (in inflation-adjusted terms).

Given how much more popular Deadpool was than Wonder Woman prior to each film's release, that really says something.

That's some powerful trending up. Yet there is still a low dependence on the international box office to be the 60% (+) heavy-hitter so far.

nsHgFB1.jpg

YlKuMgn.jpg

Remaining release dates:

- Japan: 25 August 2017

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

It's now less than $5 million away from beating Deadpool domestically (in inflation-adjusted terms).

Given how much more popular Deadpool was than Wonder Woman prior to each film's release, that really says something.

prior to each film's release, DP was more "popular" than WW? maybe in our relatively puny hobby, but WW was light years more recognizable to the general public than DP. the roughly 50MM tickets sold domestically weren't driven by the comic collecting universe.

Wonder Woman Passes Deadpool’s Domestic Total at Box Office

wonder-woman-tank-deadpool.jpg?auto=form

Wonder Woman continues to amaze at the box office, officially topping Deadpool‘s impressive $363 million domestic haul.

wn6t80b.jpg

The film took in another $10.1 million this weekend, bringing its domestic total to $368 million, making a $400 million domestic finish entirely plausible. With $377 million internationally, Wonder Woman now sits at $745 million at the worldwide box office. An impressive feat for a film many doubted would even cross $100 million in its opening weekend.

Even when adjusted for 2017 USD inflation, Wonder Woman will top out at the box office tomorrow.

- Deadpool (Domestic Total): $363,070,709.00 (2017 USD: $370,219,967.86)

- Wonder Woman (Domestic Total): $368,786,191.00 (short of Deadpool 2017 USD by $1.4MM)

So a day-early celebration. :applause:

16 hours ago, paperheart said:

prior to each film's release, DP was more "popular" than WW? maybe in our relatively puny hobby, but WW was light years more recognizable to the general public than DP. the roughly 50MM tickets sold domestically weren't driven by the comic collecting universe.

1) Yes - I'm not saying Deadpool wasn't more "recognizable" than Wonder Woman among the general public; but he was definitely more popular -- with a _huge_ cult following among comic nerds and anime-cosplay plans alike (who don't actually cross over with comic fans as much as you'd think). Recognizable/known and popular are two different things.

2) Of course the 50 MM tickests sold for WW so far weren't driven by the comic collecting universe. But that's more indicative of the movie's quality than the popularity of WW vs. Deadpool say -- a year ago.

If anything, I'd argue that the WW movie is doing for the character what the Iron Man movie did for that character nearly 10 years ago -- vaunt Iron Man from the B-list to the A-list.

Before the Marvel movies, Iron Man, Captain America and Thor were decidedly B-list superheroes (vs. the A-list of Batman, Spider-Man, the X-Men, and (esp. Wolverine).

Now, kids love Iron Man just as much/more than they do the X-Men or Batman. The movie itself changed public perception of the character.

I think the Wonder Woman film will do the same for the character (at least for the next decade).

Edited by Gatsby77

FORBES.COM 'Wonder Woman' Box Office: Nevertheless, She Persisted

Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.'s Wonder Woman passed a number of milestones yesterday. First, with $747M worldwide, it is officially past the $745M worldwide gross of Suicide Squad. Now, to be fair, the super-villain caper didn’t play in China, while the Gal Gadot adventure earned over $90M in that territory. But no matter, Wonder Woman is the biggest DCEU/DC Films earner in North America and the second-biggest behind Batman v Superman’s $873M worldwide take.

The film has done so well, especially in North America, that I may have to pen a “Justice League doesn’t have to top Wonder Woman to be a hit” post in a few months. Having passed the domestic total of Deadpool ($363M sans 3D and with an R-rating), it is the second-highest grossing comic book superhero movie ever without Batman, Iron Man or Spider-Man. And with a running total now ahead of Walt Disney and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($368.7M versus $366M), Wonder Woman is all-but-sure to best the Marvel sequel to become the biggest domestic earner of the summer.

It has now earned a 3.56x multiplier, which is already the fifth leggiest $100M (+) opener ever, behind Finding Dory ($486M/$135M = 3.6), Toy Story 3 ($415M/$110M = 3.77), Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($936.6M/$247.9M = 3.78x) and Shrek 2 ($441M/$108M = 4.1x). And DreamWorks Animation's Shrek 2 opened with $21M via its Wed/Thurs pre-weekend launch. So once Wonder Woman gets to $392M, it’ll be the second-leggiest $100M (+) opener and the leggiest that opened on a Friday. It’s certainly the leggiest comic book superhero movie that didn’t open on a Wednesday (or Tuesday) by a mile since Blade back in 1998.

So, yeah, the fact that we’re even talking about a $410M total is a measure of its sheer staying power. Wonder Woman has not only been incredibly leggy throughout its run, but it has maintained these legs no matter the obstacle.

22 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

FORBES.COM 'Wonder Woman' Box Office: Nevertheless, She Persisted

Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.'s Wonder Woman passed a number of milestones yesterday. First, with $747M worldwide, it is officially past the $745M worldwide gross of Suicide Squad. Now, to be fair, the super-villain caper didn’t play in China, while the Gal Gadot adventure earned over $90M in that territory. But no matter, Wonder Woman is the biggest DCEU/DC Films earner in North America and the second-biggest behind Batman v Superman’s $873M worldwide take.

The film has done so well, especially in North America, that I may have to pen a “Justice League doesn’t have to top Wonder Woman to be a hit” post in a few months. Having passed the domestic total of Deadpool ($363M sans 3D and with an R-rating), it is the second-highest grossing comic book superhero movie ever without Batman, Iron Man or Spider-Man. And with a running total now ahead of Walt Disney and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($368.7M versus $366M), Wonder Woman is all-but-sure to best the Marvel sequel to become the biggest domestic earner of the summer.

It has now earned a 3.56x multiplier, which is already the fifth leggiest $100M (+) opener ever, behind Finding Dory ($486M/$135M = 3.6), Toy Story 3 ($415M/$110M = 3.77), Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($936.6M/$247.9M = 3.78x) and Shrek 2 ($441M/$108M = 4.1x). And DreamWorks Animation's Shrek 2 opened with $21M via its Wed/Thurs pre-weekend launch. So once Wonder Woman gets to $392M, it’ll be the second-leggiest $100M (+) opener and the leggiest that opened on a Friday. It’s certainly the leggiest comic book superhero movie that didn’t open on a Wednesday (or Tuesday) by a mile since Blade back in 1998.

So, yeah, the fact that we’re even talking about a $410M total is a measure of its sheer staying power. Wonder Woman has not only been incredibly leggy throughout its run, but it has maintained these legs no matter the obstacle.

are they so sure its going to beat spiderman?

1 hour ago, revat said:

are they so sure its going to beat spiderman?

I'm assuming you are referring to Scott Mendelson's part of the article where he suggests Wonder Woman could top Spider-Man (2002).

Heck, if it tops $410 million domestic, ahead of Spider-Man ($403m in 2002) and Iron Man 3 ($409m in 2013), it’ll be the third-biggest solo superhero movie ever behind Chris Nolan’s Dark Knight sequels.

It may come close. But I am not sure it will break $400MM. But at this point. Wonder Woman has exceeded so many records and goals, it could surprise folks.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Z81m9Mb.png

Maybe. Much as I'd love to see it do so, I'm still not sure I'd bet on it passing $400M domestic. Next two weeks give us Planet of the Apes and Dunkirk.

I mean, I think Valerian is going to be a Jupiter Ascending-level flop, but we'll see...

Edited by Gatsby77

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Maybe. Much as I'd love to see it do so, I'm still not sure I'd bet on it passing $400M domestic. Next two weeks give us Planet of the Apes and Dunkirk.

I mean, I think Valerian is going to be a Jupiter Ascending-level flop, but we'll see...

With the Box Office Guru, he does try to be realistic with his forecasts. Which is why Forbes.com, Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter referencing his numbers often.

But I do agree, $400MM domestic is one heck of a high achievement. But look at where she is already at $371.3MM as of Tuesday's final numbers. Incredible!

I think $400M is a sure thing the movie is still in the top 5 every week. the movie has some legs because people still want to go out and see it again with friends or family members I could see it staying in theaters until August. and I give it two more weeks before finally drops off the top 5 box office numbers. the real question is can it make it to the $450M before it ends it's run at the box office.