• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.K.A. Jessica Jones on Netflix (11/20/15)
3 3

840 posts in this topic

As noted, I was referring to the breadth of the source material ("quantity") not the "quality".

And yes, she is an F list character, or whatever "not A , B, or C list" letter you want to use. Obviously this show raised the profile of the character. Whether or not that resonates with the masses, or people clamor to continue to seeing the character remains to be seen. Regardless of the source material, I found the trailers rather weak and un-involving with themes and characters and character powers that look remarkably like the stuff they have already done on a couple of episodes of SHIELD. I could see JJ appearing on there for a story arc or two easier than I can see a 13 episode run in a solo title, especially since any and all Daily Bugle/Peter Parker/Spider-man interaction is off the table.

These are just my opinions of the trailers, not of the books, or the show itself.

-J.

I get it this was just your opinion. I have no experience with the source material, but I liked what I am seeing so far with the trailers and darker storylines.

You're calling her an F list character based on the source material, but saying this is only because of the trailer? (shrug)

No, I'm calling her an F list character because she was completely unknown to even many comic book fans prior to Marvel deciding she should get a solo show.

That, in itself was a risky move. Marvel pulled it off with Guardians, but unlike the trailer for that movie, this one just falls flat IMO.

J.

While partially true, I think any Bendis fan knows who Jessica Jones is and what a solid character she can be. She was pretty prominent in his New Avengers' run and then Bendis' subsequent love obsession with Luke Cage.

You're calling her an F list character based on the source material, but saying this is only because of the trailer? (shrug)

No, I'm calling her an F list character because she was completely unknown to even many comic book fans prior to Marvel deciding she should get a solo show.

That, in itself was a risky move. Marvel pulled it off with Guardians, but unlike the trailer for that movie, this one just falls flat IMO.

J.

While partially true, I think any Bendis fan knows who Jessica Jones is and what a solid character she can be. She was pretty prominent in his New Avengers' run and then Bendis' subsequent love obsession with Luke Cage.

I think he's probably referring more to the general audience, which has absolutely no reason to have even heard the name Jessica Jones, let alone be familiar with the premise.

J.

I think he's probably referring more to the general audience, which has absolutely no reason to have even heard the name Jessica Jones, let alone be familiar with the premise.

^^

-J.

Or collectors that haven't picked up a "new" comic in fifteen years. :preach:

Here is a question - will the price of Daredevil 4 crash pretty much immediately once the show is released if he dies in the last episode? A typical show we would have 13 weeks of build up but since they release all the episodes at once will the normal run up time be eliminated? Or will the slow trickle of new fans finding the show cause books to heat up and then potentially crash once "everyone" has seen the season?

Kingpin didn't die so we can't use Daredevil as an example and I can't think of another show to use as reference.

Not only that, I'm mainly DC but Daredevil is a favorite. I didn't/don't know the Jessica Jones character at all. :blush:

Every time I came across "ALIAS" I saw an artsy cover with an undefinable female face, that "MAX Explicit Content" logo and assumed it was a mature-readers adaption of...

alias.jpg

I'd read a MAX title before and thought it was horrible (Punisher, I think). So I had no interest. And I don't remember any "heat" surrounding the title until the Netflix announcement. Now I'm really looking forward to the show, but yeah, I have no clue.

Edit: In my defense I point to the ALIAS logos. Somewhat similar, with TV it's the highlighted "S", Jessica Jones it's the odball "A". So I assumed Marvel had bought the rights and resurrected the TV storyline for mature-only. A dead-wrong-but-reasonable-assumpton (so I doubt I was the only one). :shy:

alias_logos.jpg

Edited by Davenport

Here is a question - will the price of Daredevil 4 crash pretty much immediately once the show is released if he dies in the last episode? A typical show we would have 13 weeks of build up but since they release all the episodes at once will the normal run up time be eliminated? Or will the slow trickle of new fans finding the show cause books to heat up and then potentially crash once "everyone" has seen the season?

Kingpin didn't die so we can't use Daredevil as an example and I can't think of another show to use as reference.

I don't think so. If the show is good (which I think it will be) they'll do another season. Killgrave is a villain that I see will always exist as long as there is Jessica Jones.

Not only that, I'm mainly DC but Daredevil is a favorite. I didn't/don't know the Jessica Jones character at all. :blush:

Every time I came across "ALIAS" I saw an artsy cover with an undefinable female face, that "MAX Explicit Content" logo and assumed it was a mature-readers adaption of...

alias.jpg

I'd read a MAX title before and thought it was horrible (Punisher, I think). So I had no interest. And I don't remember any "heat" surrounding the title until the Netflix announcement. Now I'm really looking forward to the show, but yeah, I have no clue.

Edit: In my defense I point to the ALIAS logos. Somewhat similar, with TV it's the highlighted "S", Jessica Jones it's the odball "A". So I assumed Marvel had bought the rights and resurrected the TV storyline for mature-only. A dead-wrong-but-reasonable-assumpton (so I doubt I was the only one). :shy:

alias_logos.jpg

Ha...I thought the same thing. I have never read an Alias before, but i am looking forward to the show based on the trailer.

A few other items need to be taken into consideration.

1. Jessica Jones was specifically picked because the story of a truly broken hero is not something comic based entertainment has really addressed yet. Yes, we have the AoS basic similarities, but 2 episodes with a character that comes across otherwise as pretty functional, vs multiple episodes dealing with a very broken character is very different. There is a lot of material there. We got five seasons of Breaking Bad on the simple idea that good guy science teacher becomes a meth maker. On the very surface, would you also say there was not enough material there, or enough to dig into?

2. This whole notion of material and how much you can get out of just 28 comic books is also misleading. Even if you say between 2 and 3 comic books makes a 1 hour of TV, you pretty much have your 13 episodes right there. Plus, TV writers will without question add new storylines, plots etc. Yes, our current TV comic heroes have a lot more source material, but the writers rarely stick to what appeared in the books, but usually use them as the starting point. I have no fear that the entire run is enough for 1 season, and season 2 may be all new stuff. So be it.

3. Marvel has done a great job with lower list characters. In the public eye (as in not comic book people), Iron Man was B or even C list, and the build a multi billion dollar universe around him. The only truly household name character Marvel had 20 years ago was Spider-Man, and they have not been able to use him yet (I know that is changing). Guardians of the Galaxy!?!?! Need I say more.

I don't think so. If the show is good (which I think it will be) they'll do another season. Killgrave is a villain that I see will always exist as long as there is Jessica Jones.

I would be surprised if Killgrave doesn't make his way into the Daredevil series at some point.

Unless Tennant didn't want to stick around on another genre show, there is very little likelihood that Marvel actually kills him off. It would be a huge waste of an actor that is already a big draw by himself.

alias.jpg

alias_logos.jpg

You are not the only one...I thought the exact same thing, and even when I read the New Avengers books a few years ago, I still thought it was the TV character, since I'd never watched the show either.

Funny thing is, since I assumed it for so long, it still lingers, even though I know better now. I think it doesn't help that it was a character that was retconned into continuity (as I understand it), so I don't know that much about the character to this minute.

Unless Tennant didn't want to stick around on another genre show, there is very little likelihood that Marvel actually kills him off. It would be a huge waste of an actor that is already a big draw by himself.

I actually hope they do kill him off this season because his character is just too violent and powerful to have around for a long time. I've got no problem having Kingpin in jail but the show version of Purple Man appears to be just too evil to not kill him off.

A few other items need to be taken into consideration.

1. Jessica Jones was specifically picked because the story of a truly broken hero is not something comic based entertainment has really addressed yet. Yes, we have the AoS basic similarities, but 2 episodes with a character that comes across otherwise as pretty functional, vs multiple episodes dealing with a very broken character is very different. There is a lot of material there. We got five seasons of Breaking Bad on the simple idea that good guy science teacher becomes a meth maker. On the very surface, would you also say there was not enough material there, or enough to dig into?

2. This whole notion of material and how much you can get out of just 28 comic books is also misleading. Even if you say between 2 and 3 comic books makes a 1 hour of TV, you pretty much have your 13 episodes right there. Plus, TV writers will without question add new storylines, plots etc. Yes, our current TV comic heroes have a lot more source material, but the writers rarely stick to what appeared in the books, but usually use them as the starting point. I have no fear that the entire run is enough for 1 season, and season 2 may be all new stuff. So be it.

3. Marvel has done a great job with lower list characters. In the public eye (as in not comic book people), Iron Man was B or even C list, and the build a multi billion dollar universe around him. The only truly household name character Marvel had 20 years ago was Spider-Man, and they have not been able to use him yet (I know that is changing). Guardians of the Galaxy!?!?! Need I say more.

Nice post.