• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.K.A. Jessica Jones on Netflix (11/20/15)
3 3

840 posts in this topic

This applies to JJ:

One last big though that I have not seen discussed here about why Marvel has been so successful, and what may hold BvS back. It may be the Disney influence, and just the look and presentation of the movies, but Marvel has created a new generation of fans. These movies have become family movies. I look at my own kids, their friends, I go to their school, and I see Marvel t shirts, backpacks, etc. The kids know when the next Marvel movie is coming out months in advance. They have seen the trailers, and keep up on the hype. It used to be I could see a Marvel superhero movie and leave the kids at home, if I did that now they get pissed. Based on my observations kids care way more about Marvel then DC right now. That drives families and numbers to the movies. It leads to repeat screenings and big numbers.

I have not seen the kids I am exposed to daily (and I have a job where I meet lots of people), talking about DC. My kids and my friends' kids have seen the recent DC movies in much lower numbers. They have all seen every Marvel movie. If BvS wants to reach Avenger numbers they need those kids and those families, not just the people on these boards and the 20 and 30 somethings. I have yet seen anything from BvS that seems to be pulling in the kids and families. The darker tone, and gritty look is a much harder sell to that demographic. If the DC universe wants to explode they need those numbers, like it or not. That is the big reason I do not see BvS hitting Avengers numbers.

Doesn't apply to JJ as the show's not for kids.

Watched episode 1, I didn't think it was nearly as good as daredevil, but I'll keep watching.

I finished the season. The first 4 episodes are really not that great. At episode 5 it gets better and keeps getting better with each additional show. I wonder why the started it so slow.

My wife and I finished the series last night. I wouldn't say that we hated it, but just felt it was... meh. It had a few good moments, but over all it was fairly boring and poorly written/acted.

I thought there was NO chemistry between Jessica and Luke.

I'm really worried about the Luke Cage series because I thought he was a very weak character.

I think they could have edited out 90% of the weird neighbor lady. Talk about annoying! She added nothing to the show.

The final scene with Kilgrave's dad was eye-rolling bad.

I agree with many people who think it would have played better as a 7 or 8 episode series. The pacing simply felt off at 13 episodes.

My wife and I just finished it last night as well. I actually thought it was very good. Some of the violence was over the top for me, but understand the need to set the tone for grittiness.

Just finished it up last night

Couple thoughts

I can't stand not strung out Malcolm

Can't stand the sister of Reuben,

Simspon was cool for about 7 episodes then got on my nerves,

Kilgrave was the best thing about the show and we know what happened to him, I liked when he almost turned purple in the last episode

Just finished it up last night

Couple thoughts

I can't stand not strung out Malcolm

Can't stand the sister of Reuben,

Simspon was cool for about 7 episodes then got on my nerves,

Kilgrave was the best thing about the show and we know what happened to him, I liked when he almost turned purple in the last episode

I was waiting for that. It would have been great.

I'm still crossing my fingers that Kilgrave told Jessica "you will think you killed me & are free from my control" and slipped away, knowing that it was only a matter of time that she would be unable to be controlled even with his enhanced powers sooner or later, and that we saw this as from Jessica's perspective of him having convinced everyone that she killed him & was free from him sneaking back up on her anytime soon.

Of course, he will be the puppetmaster to some other villains in Season 2 but be smarter to hide his control this time.

I stopped at EP2. Thought the show had a good, but not great start. Don't hate the show, but I'm finding it hard to stay interested enough to keep watching.

I guess it's because Jessica Jones is a new character for me and I just don't know any of the history. I had left comics back in the early '80s. That, and I've never been a big Luke Cage fan either. At least with DD, I was familiar with the Miller run so this kept me somewhat interested.

I can cut and paste my review from what has been said here already:

Never read the book, so an all-new character for me w/no historical knowledge

Enjoyed the show, but cannot be compared to Daredevil, as they are completely different

Some slow episodes in the middle, but picks up at the end

Great villain, sad that he won't get a chance to face DD

I'm still crossing my fingers that Kilgrave told Jessica "you will think you killed me & are free from my control" and slipped away, knowing that it was only a matter of time that she would be unable to be controlled even with his enhanced powers sooner or later, and that we saw this as from Jessica's perspective of him having convinced everyone that she killed him & was free from him sneaking back up on her anytime soon.

Of course, he will be the puppetmaster to some other villains in Season 2 but be smarter to hide his control this time.

That would be awesome, great idea! Supposedly Kilgrave was spotted on the set of Luke Cage and Michael Colter has already said the time frame takes place after the Jessica Jones happenings.

That would be awesome, great idea! Supposedly Kilgrave was spotted on the set of Luke Cage and Michael Colter has already said the time frame takes place after the Jessica Jones happenings.

There's also the chance that it's just psychic scarring that is related to how much control Kilgrave had over him. Jessica had to beat him basically to death which in the case of Luke Cage isn't exactly easy. He was even at the point where he welcomed it. That type of scarring could be used in a way that Kilgrave is a shadow in the first 23 issues of Alias without him ever showing up.

I stopped at EP2. Thought the show had a good, but not great start. Don't hate the show, but I'm finding it hard to stay interested enough to keep watching.

I guess it's because Jessica Jones is a new character for me and I just don't know any of the history. I had left comics back in the early '80s. That, and I've never been a big Luke Cage fan either. At least with DD, I was familiar with the Miller run so this kept me somewhat interested.

I also gave up at episode 2. Too many other things to take away my attention. For TV entertainment, DD, Gotham, and Agent Carter are enough. I have enough trouble catching up with all those episodes.

Flash, Arrow, Supergirl... none of those shows do anything for me either.

I also gave up at episode 2. Too many other things to take away my attention. For TV entertainment, DD, Gotham, and Agent Carter are enough. I have enough trouble catching up with all those episodes.

Flash, Arrow, Supergirl... none of those shows do anything for me either.

I really wanted to love Supergirl, but i just couldn't get past how cheesy it was, but after I learned of what happened in the most recent episode I may have to revisit it.

Good idea:

I can cut and paste my review from what has been said here already:

Never read the book, so an all-new character for me w/no historical knowledge

Enjoyed the show, but cannot be compared to Daredevil, as they are completely different

Some slow episodes in the middle, but picks up at the end

Great villain, sad that he won't get a chance to face DD

I had really hoped the ending would've been,

Jessica takes Kilgrave by the throat, lifts him and suffocates him as he pleads to her. He then turns purple and dies and she drops him. Post credits scene: Kilgraves body motionless on the ground, then a slight movement of his hand or an opening of his eyes.

Might've been a bit more anticlimactic though.

Krysten Ritter Nominated For Critics Choice Award For Marvel's Jessica Jones

Krysten Ritter has been nominated for Best Actress in a Drama Series a Critic’s Choice Award for her performance as the lead in Marvel’s Jessica Jones on Netflix.

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

• Shiri Appleby – UnREAL – Lifetime
  • Carrie Coon – The Leftovers – HBO
  • Viola Davis – How to Get Away With Murder – ABC
  • Eva Green – Penny Dreadful – Showtime
  • Taraji P. Henson – Empire – Fox
  • Krysten Ritter – Jessica Jones – Netflix

Krysten Ritter has been nominated for Best Actress in a Drama Series a Critics Choice Award for her performance as the lead in Marvels Jessica Jones on Netflix.

• Shiri Appleby UnREAL Lifetime
  • Carrie Coon The Leftovers HBO
  • Viola Davis How to Get Away With Murder ABC
  • Eva Green Penny Dreadful Showtime
  • Taraji P. Henson Empire Fox
  • Krysten Ritter Jessica Jones Netflix

COOKIE!!

Krysten Ritter has been nominated for Best Actress in a Drama Series a Critics Choice Award for her performance as the lead in Marvels Jessica Jones on Netflix.

COOKIE!!

She's still Detective Joss Carter for me.

COOKIE!!

Cookie will take the cake on this one (thumbs u

My wife, son and I just finished the series tonight and all three of us thought it was excellent... which seems at odds with most here. We all loved Daredevil as well, but thought this was terrific from beginning to end.

A few random thoughts:

Luke Cage - I thought they did a good job showing his powers and power level, it translated to the screen very well. And while I know people thought that character was a bit one-dimensional... I think in some ways it was intentional. With his own series coming up, they need to save a lot of his character development for that. This was more of just a taste. I'd expect, for example, Jessica Jones to be fully fleshed out in Cage's series... since we know her already.

Writing - I felt that this was, in many ways (although it was very dark and violent) a series which capture the most true "comic beats" of almost anything I'd seen. The reveal when Kilgrave was controlling Luke was handled so well... it actually reminded me (I'm old) of the moment when we found out that the Falcon was the mind-controlled puppet of the Red Skull back in the 1970's Captain America comics. The subsequent fight was also handled well. Even moments like all the "victims" lineup up with nooses on the bar while Kilgrave ate in the restaurant... just a very comic book "beat" to it, in my mind.

Kilgrave - Combination of the writing and acting made for a very engaging villain. That role could easily have flipped towards campy, which would have drained the series of all menace... so it was a tricky path the walk.

Anyway, we're looking forward to DD season 2 and what comes next. Our son mentioned that he kind of hopes that there's some integration with Agents of SHEILD at some point. It's one thing when it's just a guy running around in a red jumpsuit. But once you start getting into people who can (sort of) fly and unbreakable skin... you'd think Coulson's crew would at least be interested...