• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.K.A. Jessica Jones on Netflix (11/20/15)
3 3

840 posts in this topic

Do not read this unless you've finished the whole series:

Really enjoyed the show, but the last episode was such a let down. Shockingly anticlimactic. I felt like they missed some big opportunities:

- Would have been awesome to see him actually turn purple, like they were hinting at.

- Would have been awesome to see Daredevil show up like Clair hinted at.

- Would have been awesome to see the ending follow the source material a little closer, i.e. Luke and Jessica's "big news".

- Wtf happened to Nuke? Totally left a loose end with his character. Would have been cool o see him return for the final "battle".

- How dumb was Killgraves death? Predictable.

Sorry for the semi rant, I loved 12 out of 13 episodes, but man the last episode was poorly executed in my opinion. Great show with a terrible ending. rantrant

I also have spoiler-y comments with some different thoughts:

I do totally agree that they dropped the ball with Nuke & that was very annoying. They may have missed some opportunities but I loved the Daredevil tie-in in the last episode with Rosario Dawson. I didn't hear her character name & don't remember it from DD but recognized her as an actress with more of a reputation than the others in the show & was confused why she'd show up in the last episode. When she started talking about her "friend" in Hell's Kitchen it finally clicked. Nice way to link the characters together for future shows & to give comic geeks a nice bonus. I also remember in Bronze/Copper Age storylines that Jeryn Hogarth was Danny Rand's lawyer so maybe Jeri Hogarth is laying groundwork for the Iron Fist series?

I did get very tired of Jessica's self-loathing, especially at the end when she killed Kilgrave & saved everyone and still looked like she was in a pit of despair. Overall I did like the series & I might have to go watch Daredevil again.

Just finished the series. I can see why the critics like it - it has a strong female lead and isn't as formulaic as the other series in the genres (no villain/monster of the week, for example).

I think it was all right. Balancing everything out, I'd give it a B+. Given that there was really only one villain and one storyline, I felt like this could easily have been wrapped up in 6 episodes, 8 episodes tops, though. A lot of the middle episodes just seemed to blend together, and Kilgrave's powers just seemed to get boring and repetitious with each passing episode. Really wish they had wrapped up his story in the first half of the season and moved on to something else for the back half. Or, threw in some villain-of-the-week material in-between to better space it out.

Aside from his exploits in the bedroom, this version of Luke Cage's super power isn't just unbreakable skin, it's his ability to bore the audience to death. zzz

I thought the Daredevil series (an A in my book) was much better - better characters, beautifully choreographed fight scenes, less annoying supporting cast, and much stronger source material to work with. 2c

Great review - I find myself in total agreement :thumbsup:

While I very much enjoyed JJ all around, I can't help but agree with your points :foryou:

More than anything else, I wanted the Cage character to work. I'm afraid I largely agree with the comment about him above.

I enjoyed the show & I'm no fan of violence. I'm no fan of shows, even.

Ritter carried the ball admirably.

Looks like I'm in the minority on this but I really didn't enjoy JJ as much as I wanted to. I can't really pinpoint exactly what threw me off so much but I definitely finished the series with a big fat meh. I think the cast was great, Tennant for sure was amazing as Purple Man but there was something missing unlike DD which I absolutely adore.

I can't compare it to DD since I haven't watched it. But I really enjoyed this show.

I found this article today and now I want to re-watch it again.

I thought this was a very good article and wanted to share it with anyone that may be interested.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jessica-jones-uses-superheroes-to-expose-the-terror-of-domestic-abuse_565c9f47e4b079b2818b2b1d

I loved it, but I will admit, it felt a bit "un-Marveled" to me. The fun thing about the comic was how the Marvel Universe was threaded throughout the story. She's a former Avenger, she goes on a blind date with Ant-Man that's interrupted by Spider-Man and Doc Ock, she helps Captain America out of a tight spot. Carol Danvers, Rick Jones, and Matt Murdoch have important roles. Ben Urich and JJJ make appearances.

Most of that was lost in the Netflix series. Sure, maybe that grounded it in reality more, but it left me wanting.

I loved it, but I will admit, it felt a bit "un-Marveled" to me. The fun thing about the comic was how the Marvel Universe was threaded throughout the story. She's a former Avenger, she goes on a blind date with Ant-Man that's interrupted by Spider-Man and Doc Ock, she helps Captain America out of a tight spot. Carol Danvers, Rick Jones, and Matt Murdoch have important roles. Ben Urich and JJJ make appearances.

Most of that was lost in the Netflix series. Sure, maybe that grounded it in reality more, but it left me wanting.

It is unfortunate, because that all would have been possible on a long enough timeline. Maybe something post-Spider-Man movie but pre-Infinity War.

That's actually a really good point that I hadn't thought of. A little more of that weaving into the underbelly of the Marvel U would have been nice. Even if it was done via proxy or something. Somebody claiming to work for Cap hiring her to get him out of a bit of a tight spot. A date with one of Scott Lang's crew or something. You don't need to mention the connection. Just use the same actor, but as an easter egg or something. Little connections like that.

Just finished the series. I can see why the critics like it - it has a strong female lead and isn't as formulaic as the other series in the genres (no villain/monster of the week, for example).

I think it was all right. Balancing everything out, I'd give it a B+. Given that there was really only one villain and one storyline, I felt like this could easily have been wrapped up in 6 episodes, 8 episodes tops, though. A lot of the middle episodes just seemed to blend together, and Kilgrave's powers just seemed to get boring and repetitious with each passing episode. Really wish they had wrapped up his story in the first half of the season and moved on to something else for the back half. Or, threw in some villain-of-the-week material in-between to better space it out.

Aside from his exploits in the bedroom, this version of Luke Cage's super power isn't just unbreakable skin, it's his ability to bore the audience to death. zzz

I thought the Daredevil series (an A in my book) was much better - better characters, beautifully choreographed fight scenes, less annoying supporting cast, and much stronger source material to work with. 2c

Great review - I find myself in total agreement :thumbsup:

While I very much enjoyed JJ all around, I can't help but agree with your points :foryou:

More than anything else, I wanted the Cage character to work. I'm afraid I largely agree with the comment about him above.

I enjoyed the show & I'm no fan of violence. I'm no fan of shows, even.

Ritter carried the ball admirably.

I'm not sure what else they could have done with Luke. Jessica did enough sulking, brooding and self-loathing for 5 characters. The last book I read that had Cage in it was New Avengers, and he spent most of his time trying to keep Jessica from going off or putting someone through a wall. He couldn't really be upbeat and still fit into the narrative, and he couldn't be sullen, because that's Jessica's thing.

So we are left with an unbreakable guy who is broken inside, suffers in silence and tries to compensate by hooking up with anything that moves. Not the Luke Cage that I grew up with, but better than nothing.

Luke couldn't be the hero in Jessica Jones. He was VOTW at one point. The writers did a good job making sure Jessica was the lead at all times. The forlorn, black hoodie lead.

I watched one episode and much of what you said here is why it is unlikely I will invest another 11 to 12 hours to finish it anytime soon...if at all.

Edited by Mephisto

I watched one episode and much of what you said here is why it is unlikely I will invest another 11 to 12 hours to finish it anytime soon...if at all.

It's worth watching when you have time but I wouldn't rush to watch it over other things

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there may be a hint of what The Defenders will be facing toward the end of Jessica Jones.

The acronym IGH ... the red pills Simpson was taking ... point to Mutant Growth Hormone (MGH) which appeared in a Bendis Daredevil arc in which The Owl (Owlsy?) used his mutant genes to create the drug which gave ordinary people superhero powers temporarily.

Perhaps The Defenders will be teaming up to take on a create, distributor and/or dealers for MGH?

15 years of network police procedurals one upmanship has brought us to 'I must remove Dad from the face of the earth' type wonderfulness.

lol lol lol

The CSI/GoT generation.

Given that there was really only one villain and one storyline, I felt like this could easily have been wrapped up in 6 episodes, 8 episodes tops, though. A lot of the middle episodes just seemed to blend together, and Kilgrave's powers just seemed to get boring and repetitious with each passing episode. Really wish they had wrapped up his story in the first half of the season and moved on to something else for the back half. Or, threw in some villain-of-the-week material in-between to better space it out.

Total agreement here about dragging out the number of episodes. Kilgrave was a good villain but not worthy of 13 episodes.

Still enjoyed the series and hoping for a season 2.

My wife and I finished the series last night. I wouldn't say that we hated it, but just felt it was... meh. It had a few good moments, but over all it was fairly boring and poorly written/acted.

I thought there was NO chemistry between Jessica and Luke.

I'm really worried about the Luke Cage series because I thought he was a very weak character.

I think they could have edited out 90% of the weird neighbor lady. Talk about annoying! She added nothing to the show.

The final scene with Kilgrave's dad was eye-rolling bad.

I agree with many people who think it would have played better as a 7 or 8 episode series. The pacing simply felt off at 13 episodes.

This applies to JJ:

One last big though that I have not seen discussed here about why Marvel has been so successful, and what may hold BvS back. It may be the Disney influence, and just the look and presentation of the movies, but Marvel has created a new generation of fans. These movies have become family movies. I look at my own kids, their friends, I go to their school, and I see Marvel t shirts, backpacks, etc. The kids know when the next Marvel movie is coming out months in advance. They have seen the trailers, and keep up on the hype. It used to be I could see a Marvel superhero movie and leave the kids at home, if I did that now they get pissed. Based on my observations kids care way more about Marvel then DC right now. That drives families and numbers to the movies. It leads to repeat screenings and big numbers.

I have not seen the kids I am exposed to daily (and I have a job where I meet lots of people), talking about DC. My kids and my friends' kids have seen the recent DC movies in much lower numbers. They have all seen every Marvel movie. If BvS wants to reach Avenger numbers they need those kids and those families, not just the people on these boards and the 20 and 30 somethings. I have yet seen anything from BvS that seems to be pulling in the kids and families. The darker tone, and gritty look is a much harder sell to that demographic. If the DC universe wants to explode they need those numbers, like it or not. That is the big reason I do not see BvS hitting Avengers numbers.