• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,768 posts in this topic

Not much to be confused about, one is a Stan Lee Exclusive, the others are a J. Scott Campbell exclusive available only through their respective outlets.

No, they aren't available at your LCS unless they buy directly from Stan or Jeff basically.

Just got my order for the All-New Wolverine 1 from Cargo Hold. Both Copies were in excellent shape, sketch should get a 9.8 and color 9.6/9.8. They forgot some copies but are going to take care of it.

I want to offer him $150 but I know, his greed would decline the offer because someone else will pay it.

You're kidding, right?

Also, Silk #3 is more popular because it was not solicited as a JSC variant to retailers. It was simply listed as a variant. When it was announced it was too late for retailers to order more copies. Look at a similar timeline book like Ms. Marvel #2 '92 variant and it's not nearly as expensive because it was advertised to retailers as a JSC variant so they knew to up their order.

Nope, dead serious. $100 for the Raw copy, $35 for Grading/Slabbing, $15.00 for shipping = $150. Especially because the seller likely paid $15 or less for if they pre-ordered.

Reasons why I am trying to track down my own 9.8 candidate vs. paying someone else $400. I can still beat the $400 price point subbing myself, even if I buy a raw for $100 or more.

Yes, but how is a seller being greedy but wanting to sell it for market value? The formula you just presented would net him $0, actually he would lose money with associated fees.

Agreed. Just because a seller purchased the book at pre order price of $14 doesn't mean he has to pass the savings and price his book below market.

Trying to set the market, and at market are 2 completely different things. Being this is the 1st 9.8 I've seen for sale, I am 100% justified in stating that I <---emphasis here, could duplicate the same $400 supposed market value but getting the right raw, and subbing. Justification for the other $250 isn't there....therefore I am not going to purchase someone else's slab they are trying to flip.

On the other hand, if it were a more reasonable BIN, I might be more inclined to purchase it if it were around my cost to duplicate it, and willing to wait while it was graded. My patience is worth saving that "tax" as I described earlier.

The person who buys that book at or near that asking price it not going to sub a raw copy to start with, and is either getting it for PC and or is about to meet JSC and wants to crack it for a SS. Someone with no time to wait.

I'm not crazy, I'm just better at holding onto my money!

I feel the silk is overpriced at 9.8 anyway. Last sale went for $299. I would not pay more than $100 for that book but that is my opinion .my opinion and what the market values it at are two different things. A lot of these Campbell books are overpriced and not sure if we are in for a correction soon.

I certainly hope so. All this heat on Campbell covers is making my collecting of them quite a bit harder on my wallet.

I want to offer him $150 but I know, his greed would decline the offer because someone else will pay it.

You're kidding, right?

Also, Silk #3 is more popular because it was not solicited as a JSC variant to retailers. It was simply listed as a variant. When it was announced it was too late for retailers to order more copies. Look at a similar timeline book like Ms. Marvel #2 '92 variant and it's not nearly as expensive because it was advertised to retailers as a JSC variant so they knew to up their order.

Nope, dead serious. $100 for the Raw copy, $35 for Grading/Slabbing, $15.00 for shipping = $150. Especially because the seller likely paid $15 or less for if they pre-ordered.

Reasons why I am trying to track down my own 9.8 candidate vs. paying someone else $400. I can still beat the $400 price point subbing myself, even if I buy a raw for $100 or more.

Yes, but how is a seller being greedy but wanting to sell it for market value? The formula you just presented would net him $0, actually he would lose money with associated fees.

Agreed. Just because a seller purchased the book at pre order price of $14 doesn't mean he has to pass the savings and price his book below market.

Trying to set the market, and at market are 2 completely different things. Being this is the 1st 9.8 I've seen for sale, I am 100% justified in stating that I <---emphasis here, could duplicate the same $400 supposed market value but getting the right raw, and subbing. Justification for the other $250 isn't there....therefore I am not going to purchase someone else's slab they are trying to flip.

On the other hand, if it were a more reasonable BIN, I might be more inclined to purchase it if it were around my cost to duplicate it, and willing to wait while it was graded. My patience is worth saving that "tax" as I described earlier.

The person who buys that book at or near that asking price it not going to sub a raw copy to start with, and is either getting it for PC and or is about to meet JSC and wants to crack it for a SS. Someone with no time to wait.

I'm not crazy, I'm just better at holding onto my money!

I feel the silk is overpriced at 9.8 anyway. Last sale went for $299. I would not pay more than $100 for that book but that is my opinion .my opinion and what the market values it at are two different things. A lot of these Campbell books are overpriced and not sure if we are in for a correction soon.

I certainly hope so. All this heat on Campbell covers is making my collecting of them quite a bit harder on my wallet.

Hopefully not a huge correction... dont want to look at my collection and see i lost 100's of dollars lol

I hear you. Just collect what you like man. I don't flip and sell Campbell books like some Campbell fans and anything I add is pretty much for my personal collection.

I don't flip Campbells... they are all for pc... I flip other books to get my Campbells lol... I'd like the books I paid 100-200 for to stay at 200-300... or go higher, I'm cool with that lol...

Why would the Overstreet Price Guide not even be in the ball park with pricing of some of Campbell's work? For example OS lists Amazing Spider-Man 607 as $3 in 9.2 where you be lucky to find a raw 9.2 for under $45.

Insane, I was thinking of bidding but had a feeling it would go for a ridiculous amount. $540 and all the seller had was an image of the front cover and NM. And I thought $400 for a 9.6 slab was too much a few months back. meh

Overstreet does not do a great job at all. You can't use it for moderns. They should have a 9.8/9.6/9.4 price category for moderns also. If someone came out with a better guide overstreet would be finished. They should also publish every 4 months instead of once a year to stay current with prices.