• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

No offense, but it is pretty hard to tell how "Nice Looking" that actually is from the picture...

Don't worry, they are going to ship a $150+ book First Class.

It's already $225+. :o

-J.

I asked the seller to post close ups of the spine. I'll have to pass on this one because of the top-left corner.

Jerome

There's an outside chance it could still pull a 9.8 with that. I have 9.8's that have one light spine stress like that. A 9.8 is not a perfect book.

-J.

hm Will this hit 300+ raw

At this point I'd be surprised if it went for less than $400.

-J.

"Dreaded 9.6" lmao sometimes I wonder WTF I am doing here with my less than 9.8 collection........

I don't pass judgement for other people's collection, that's not my place, you collect what you like and how you want to and I'll do the same (thumbs u It's just my standard for my modern book collection.

Jerome

It's cool. a visit to the Silver Age forum, and I see someone ecstatic to get a ASM #1 in a 2.0 for balance!

It all starts with perception, if you teach people that under 9.8 is the plague, there will be no market for your 9.8 to have an exponentially greater value because everyone will pre-screen! lol

Campbell books sell well graded or not!

"Dreaded 9.6" lmao sometimes I wonder WTF I am doing here with my less than 9.8 collection........

I don't pass judgement for other people's collection, that's not my place, you collect what you like and how you want to and I'll do the same (thumbs u It's just my standard for my modern book collection.

Jerome

9.8 snob. :sumo:

lol

-J.

Jerome

9.8 snob. :sumo:

lol

-J.

223-18-Fist-Shaking-Tantrum-Gif.gif

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

I think for new books that are taken off the stands, unread and graded, a 9.8 is probably the industry standard for a high grade since the book goes from printer to distributor to retailer to collector with some room for error (damages) but generally it's a reasonable expectation to get at least a 9.6 for most books, so a 9.8 becomes the best of the bunch, not necessary as elusive as finding high grade vintage books (but today's moderns are tomorrow's vintage) but important to many collectors nonetheless. It's been somewhat proven that the highest of graded examples of any collectible, be it a coin, stamp, card or comic usually commands good multiples in value to it's substandard peer.

No offense, but it is pretty hard to tell how "Nice Looking" that actually is from the picture...

Don't worry, they are going to ship a $150+ book First Class.

It's already $225+. :o

-J.

I asked the seller to post close ups of the spine. I'll have to pass on this one because of the top-left corner.

Jerome

There's an outside chance it could still pull a 9.8 with that. I have 9.8's that have one light spine stress like that. A 9.8 is not a perfect book.

-J.

hm Will this hit 300+ raw

At this point I'd be surprised if it went for less than $400.

-J.

I sold my raw one just over a year ago, Oct 2014, and from what I remember it only went for around $150-$175 ish. Not many have come up for bid since then. Looking back I should've held onto it and slabbed it

Picked up one of the JSC Gwenpool Holiday Special Midtown variants. Because it's just a great ridiculous cover.

I've been maybe sorta grabbing every single JSC variant I can find recently for books inside my collecting focus.

Cheapest I can find the Silk #3 Campbell Variant is $69.99 at a local store.

So whoever said there will be a flood, and these will be cheaper aren't paying attention to them selling over $100 on eBay and every other place sold out before release date.

So whoever said there will be a flood, and these will be cheaper aren't paying attention to them selling over $100 on eBay and every other place sold out before release date.

Who said the market would be flooded? It was said in multiple places that it was not announced in the Previews who the artist was until later and was assumed most retailers did not know this.

As I said before, you're trying to buy at the worst time. Sellers love buyers like this.

Who said the market would be flooded? It was said in multiple places that it was not announced in the Previews who the artist was until later and was assumed most retailers did not know this.

As I said before, you're trying to buy at the worst time. Sellers love buyers like this.

Fair opinion, but I think it is the best time to get it before it becomes too hard to find in high grade.

J.Scott Campbell covers have that $ Memory like New Mutants 98 does. Once they start selling for a certain price, they hardly let up. If you think this book in particular will cool off and prices come down, it may take a few years, not the few months if at all. I haven't seen a scramble this hard for a Campbell cover, even more than Renew your Vows #1 1:50!.

I usually never have this much trouble finding a book at a decent price, but none of the smaller local shops had enough ordered to even get the 1:25, and the larger stores price gouge because of the eBay pre-sales.

Fair opinion, but I think it is the best time to get it before it becomes too hard to find in high grade.

J.Scott Campbell covers have that $ Memory like New Mutants 98 does. Once they start selling for a certain price, they hardly let up. If you think this book in particular will cool off and prices come down, it may take a few years, not the few months if at all. I haven't seen a scramble this hard for a Campbell cover, even more than Renew your Vows #1 1:50!.

I usually never have this much trouble finding a book at a decent price, but none of the smaller local shops had enough ordered to even get the 1:25, and the larger stores price gouge because of the eBay pre-sales.

A majority of the JSC covers from the last two years have decreased in value compared to their pre-sale and week-of-release sale price. He does a lot more cover than he used to.

There have been a few copies of the siege 3 and wolverine deadpool mashup being put on ebay lately.

Also, good thing I pre-ordered 2 copies of the silk #3 variant for $12. lol

Some are LaMole Comiccon variants with the same artwork.

I don't suppose you 1) Have those Silks in hand yet, or 2) want to sell one?

LMK k thanx.

I was not referring to the La Mole variants. There was a siege 3. 9.8 that sold a couple of days ago. A 9.2 was listed as well. now there is another 9.8 siege 3 on feebay.

Not looking to sell my Silks yet, need to check the condition to see if they are 9.8 candidates first. lol

The only place i could get one was at my local comic store and of coarse there was an immediate mark up of $79.99 for it. Sucks that you could preorder it for $12 and the exact same day it be $80. Ohh well congrats on whoever got it for a cheap price. I did the same for the Superior spider man #20 Campbell for $14 each.

You sure you don't want to sell your killing joke transformer cover Ultra? God that is a beauty.

Edited by horsehater27