• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

I think $85 signed will be a good deal. Considering you don't need to line up for 2 hours anymore.

Yea...BUT, at least you know the grade when you get it signed yourself.

Well if you are ordering this from his store you still don't know what grade the book is going to be signed or unsigned

Would you rather pay for a VF cover or pay more for a signed VF cover ....?

Well it was NM before someone wrote their name on the cover with marker. lol

I think $85 signed will be a good deal. Considering you don't need to line up for 2 hours anymore.

Well if you are ordering this from his store you still don't know what grade the book is going to be signed or unsigned

Ha, yeah.

lol All kidding aside though, I've had great luck with his site. Everything I've ordered has been NM.

Newbie JSC fan here....can anyone tell me what's the deal with ASM #648 cover. It appears the black and white/sketch was a 1 in 200 and the colour was 1 in a 100 but it seems like the colour is scarcer and carries a premium price over the sketch...what's the deal, any explanations???

Secondly the 10 most desired/valuable books from my research appears to be

Uncanny 510

Wolvie #1

Siege #3

ASM #648 colour

ASM presents Black Cat #1

Black Widow #6

GOTG #4

Superior Spidey #20

ASM #4 (reverse negative)

Does the ASM #4 really belong on the list, and what would be #10th on the list???

Any input is much appreciated.

Jim

Danger girl ruby red smoking gun commands big money too. There was one that sold for 3k on the boards not long ago.

I only collect his marvel covers.

Your list looks good and is similar to my list. My JSC marvel only list in terms of desirability:

1. Uncanny xmen 510 partial sketch

2. Wolverine #1 deadpool mashup

3. Siege #3

4 Black panther #1 partial sketch.

5. Black cat #1

6. Spiderman 648 colored/ sketch

7. Uncanny xmen 510 colored

8. Black widow #6

9. Superior spiderman #20

10. Guardians of the galaxy #4

Honorable mentions (no specific order):

Uncanny xforce #1

Spiderman #4 reverse negative

Black panther #1 colored

Savage wolverine #6 variant elektra cover

Inhuman #1 variant

Wolverine 312 variant

Non variant spidey covers 606, 607 , etc

X infernus magik cover

Extraordinary xmen #1 magik variant

Renew your vows MJ wedding covers

Black widow #1 colored/sketch variants

One colour ASM 648 for sale on Ebay for $750 (BIN) and one signed by S Lee for $1000. Five sketch ones for sale.

Two sketches sold and no colours have sold. It does seem like the colour one is more rare. What would people value the colour one at?

Holy banana. That's a lot of $ for his 2 seconds of signature "work". I've loved Campbell since Gen 13, but he's getting a little greedy IMO. The remarks are pricey enough, but to charge that much for a sig is bordering on ridiculous.

He's starting to get like Neal Adams in that sense.

Newbie JSC fan here....can anyone tell me what's the deal with ASM #648 cover. It appears the black and white/sketch was a 1 in 200 and the colour was 1 in a 100 but it seems like the colour is scarcer and carries a premium price over the sketch...what's the deal, any explanations???

Secondly the 10 most desired/valuable books from my research appears to be

Uncanny 510

Wolvie #1

Siege #3

ASM #648 colour

ASM presents Black Cat #1

Black Widow #6

GOTG #4

Superior Spidey #20

ASM #4 (reverse negative)

Does the ASM #4 really belong on the list, and what would be #10th on the list???

Any input is much appreciated.

Jim

For his non-Marvel covers, I am really partial to the GI JOE/Danger Girl #2 and #3 variants of Baroness and Scarlett. I managed to get a baroness, but having a really tough time finding the Scarlett.

Now that I've been doing more research is it just me or does an ASM #4 actually/repeatedly sell for more as just the colour variant than the reverse negative book?

Jim

There are a lot less of the negatives vs the color. This might be one of those instances where people just prefer the color copy. It pops more I think. I love em both but I'm a bit biased. lol. It's only a bit over a year old. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up to other Campbell variants down the road more. People forget that not everything takes off immediately. Uncanny 510 was offered through a 50% off cover variant sale Marvel did through Diamond. Now look at it several years later once it had a chance to dry up. If I had to guess I'd say if we fast forward a couple years...as long as Campbell is still as big as he is now. I'd still guess that the negative will fetch more. Maybe the color will be on par just because it's a beautiful cover. But as far as available quantities go...there will be a time when that negative will be dried up. I'm sure of it.

I broke down & bought one of the color/b&w sets of the EXM & UXM #1 variants. Dammit. I just really needed them for my stupid completism.

I only bought the color set, B&W store variants are rarely all that great, but JSC is an outlier on almost everything he touches.

Ms. Marvel #2 1:20 Marvel 92 Variant isn't bad either. Sellers aren't trying to hype that cover as much as the Silk #3 cover though.