• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

..it's about right for the condition. Seller said there was no interior damage but I find that hard to believe. I stopped at $350.

Where did he say there's no interior damage? I know he said the corner of the book was damaged. But he didn't say just the cover.

Edited by tchalla8

..it's about right for the condition. Seller said there was no interior damage but I find that hard to believe. I stopped at $350.

Where did he say there's no interior damage? I know he said the corner was damaged. But he didn't say just the cover.

I messaged him... no interior page damage or color break. But you still have 2 bad breaking spine ticks, rounded corner, some corner/edge wear and possible color breaking creases on the back. Probably hit a 7 - 7.5 with a press maybe? Idk, I'm bad with lower grading..but $400-500 was what I guessed it would go for based off recent sales.

In what way, low or high?

Unexpectedly high. For a raw copy that's not a 9.8.

Doesn't seem that high to me. Last two 9.8's sold for $2,432 and $3,650. Yes, that corner keeps it from being a 9.8. But, they don't come up for sale that often.

Doesn't seem that high to me. Last two 9.8's sold for $2,432 and $3,650. Yes, that corner keeps it from being a 9.8. But, they don't come up for sale that often.

Copies of these are creeping out on a regular basis. What this books goes for raw and in 9.6 condition puts the real FMV of a 9.8 more like in the $1100-$1200 range based on the sales of other similar books IMO.

-J.

Copies of these are creeping out on a regular basis. What this books goes for raw and in 9.6 condition puts the real FMV of a 9.8 more like in the $1100-$1200 range based on the sales of other similar books IMO.

-J.

Huh? FMV is what people are willing to pay. Unless you have some information that the last two auctions were shilled?

-J.

Huh? FMV is what people are willing to pay. Unless you have some information that the last two auctions were shilled?

Like I said, I'm basing the "real" FMV of that book on what it goes for raw and in lower grades as compared to other, similar books, not on the irrational exuberance of a couple of over-enthusiastic bidders on first to market 9.8 copies.

-J.

-J.

Like I said, I'm basing the "real" FMV of that book on what it goes for raw and in lower grades as compared to other, similar books, not on the irrational exuberance of a couple of over-enthusiastic bidders on first to market 9.8 copies.

-J.

Again, huh? There are only 4 9.8's that are not SS and two just sold. We know this is a harder book to find. It sounds like you are assuming more will come into play, which is an unknown. What is known is what it has actually sold for.

-J.

-J.

Again, huh? There are only 4 9.8's that are not SS and two just sold. We know this is a harder book to find. It sounds like you are assuming more will come into play, which is an unknown. What is known is what it has actually sold for.

What's "known" is the "first to market" 9.8 copy went for over $3600.

The second to market 9.8 copy went for $2400 a few weeks later.

A 9.6 sold for $799 a few weeks before the first 9.8 hit the market.

The last two raw copy sales were for $199 and $400.

If you follow pricing trends of similar books, it is fairly easy to ascertain what the actual FMV of the book is, as more copies continue to come up for sale, as they have been.

-J.

I think what Jay is saying that we wants the dust to settle a little, get more 9.8 sales to see how the market shapes up before determining FMV.

Jerome

I agree, but the number that will come to market is an unknown. There are only 4 regular labels and two just sold. You could be waiting years to see more come out or a next week. That is an unknown.

I think what Jay is saying that we wants the dust to settle a little, get more 9.8 sales to see how the market shapes up before determining FMV.

Jerome

I agree, but the number that will come to market is an unknown. There are only 4 regular labels and two just sold. You could be waiting years to see more come out or a next week. That is an unknown.

The problem is, it only took one other copy coming to market to significantly impact the value negatively.

That's why you don't buy books based only on the census. There are multiple boardies even just here that are holding the book raw in multiples. And they are not the only ones.

Jerome, I know you picked up the first 9.8 copy, not trying to rub salt in the wound brother.

-J.

No worries at all buddy, no open wound at all. I love the book. I knew there was a chance I'd be overpaying for it if it went +3K, but when a book is on your list and it rarely comes up for sale....

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

]

The first Two 9.8 sales( in a matter of weeks ) is too small a sample size. I think timing of the listing played a factor . will more 9.8 copies show up? Time will tell. I have 1 of the 9.8s in my personal collection. If someone offered me 3k for my 9.8, I wouldn't sell it. Fwiw, I wouldn't sell my Wolverine #1 or xmen 510 sketch for 3k either. lol

]

The first Two 9.8 sales( in a matter of weeks ) is too small a sample size. I think timing of the listing played a factor . will more 9.8 copies show up? Time will tell. I have 1 of the 9.8s in my personal collection. If someone offered me 3k for my 9.8, I wouldn't sell it. Fwiw, I wouldn't sell my Wolverine #1 or xmen 510 sketch for 3k either. lol

Did you buy one of the two that just sold? If not, then we know two of the four are probably not going to hit the market soon. That leaves the two that just sold to show back up again, or, any new ones.

GOTG #4

Black Widow #6

Superior Spider-Man #20

All need a price increase :)

I can see SSM 20 making a jump at some point, then BW 6.

ASM #607 seems to be going up.