• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

It's still a book that doesn't pop up that often, most are in the hands of collectors. Supply and demand.. if someone truly wants a SSM 20 or GOTG 4 they'll pay for it. Black Cat #1 shot up in price out of nowhere. If we all agree to list the rarer books at ridiculous prices then buyers will have no choice, but there's always the one or two that will set their prices low and F things up.

GoTG, SSM, Black Widow could all easily be $1000 books (9.8 CGC) if sellers chose so. UXM 510 CGC 9.8 commands $500 and they're all over the place.

Just my feeling, if Black Cat #1 9.8 can hit $1000 then so can the others, just a matter of time.

It's still a book that doesn't pop up that often, most are in the hands of collectors. Supply and demand.. if someone truly wants a SSM 20 or GOTG 4 they'll pay for it. Black Cat #1 shot up in price out of nowhere. If we all agree to list the rarer books at ridiculous prices then buyers will have no choice, but there's always the one or two that will set their prices low and F things up.

GoTG, SSM, Black Widow could all easily be $1000 books (9.8 CGC) if sellers chose so. UXM 510 CGC 9.8 commands $500 and they're all over the place.

Just my feeling, if Black Cat #1 9.8 can hit $1000 then so can the others, just a matter of time.

You should take an economics class or read a book that covers the basics at the very least.

SSM 20... hands down

you should check the census

Hasn't stopped the Saga RRP from kicking it up a notch....

-J.

And how is that a good comp for SSM 20?

....they're both variants with plenty of 9.8 copies on the census (actually the Saga has even more )...

-J.

So its a terrible comp. :golfclap:

A much better comp would be the ASM Presents Black Cat 1 since it features the same character drawn by the same artist. And since nobody is buying these books for their content that isn't a variable you have to worry about. SSM 20 has probably around 4x as many copies graded as the ASM Presents book so its not likely to "blow up" anytime soon.

I respect your opinion. (thumbs u

:gossip: It's available supply versus demand not just the amount of copies on the census. *See, also Batman 608RRP.

-J.

Census Doesn't Equal Value. Supply is driven the number of copies for sale, not how many are available (take your own advice about reading supply and demand (shrug) ?). If there's 200 copies of a book on the census in 9.8 but only 4 sales in 5 years then guess what, it doesn't matter if there's 10 copies on the census because only 4 have sold in 5 years and those 4 sales directly determine value.

The point darkstar is missing is there's a difference between solid sales and 'well that price can drop because of the numbers on the census'. If that were the case, the books would never reach close to $1K. But since they constantly do exceed that AND have the census numbers that they do, your theory doesn't hold up in reality.

Here's another example, one that no one can really argue because it pertains to everyone's 'silver age books can never do you harm' theory. How many amazing fantasy 15s are on the census? Ummm TONS of them. What price do they command? Ummm TONS of money and it keeps going up at insane rates. Yet, of course, no one bats an eye, 'oh thats just because all silver age books are 'safer''. When in fact that book causing more of a balloon than any other book in the industry. Don't try and sell the next comic book crash MA books alone because proof is in the numbers.

But keep hating on MA variants since there's nothing else for you to do.

Jerome

I'm listening.. so why does Black Cat#1 reach $1000 while GoTG 4 for example doesn't? Less on the Census? Doesn't matter if they're not within reach.

Black cat #1 is an older book. GOTG released a couple of years ago? The cover art for the black cat is classic JSC. The copies that have sold are probably sitting in personal collections. I haven't seen a 9.8 pop up for sale in months, while it seems like there is always a GOTG 9.8 available on eBay.

If all folks care about is a census and population reports, they should consider graduating and moving into the JSC original published art market (not remark or sketch covers either)

Edited by AKA Rick

Did anyone else see the post where someone one the board sold his Wolverine collection on the board for $2000 and the Campbell Wolverine 1 was included. Anastasia Comics bought it. Considering all the other books in the collection I think they got it at a steal.

It's still a book that doesn't pop up that often, most are in the hands of collectors. Supply and demand..

Whose hands would they be in otherwise? You understand if the book rises in price by any significant measure more copies are going to come up for sale, right? Copies that are currently in the hands of...collectors.

if someone truly wants a SSM 20 or GOTG 4 they'll pay for it.

A single someone isn't going to set the market price for either of those books other than for that one sale at that one moment in time. Look what happened to that Black Panther book.

Black Cat #1 shot up in price out of nowhere.

And today the census reads 50 copies in 9.8

There are 177 copies of SSM 20 in 9.8

SSM 20 isn't going to approach Black Cat 1 prices. Same artist, same character. Nobody is paying for the interior content. The only thing that effectively distinguishes those two books from one another is their supply.

If all of a sudden the buyer pool increases significantly out of nowhere, as you seem to think it will for SSM 20, then those same buyers are going to drive up the price of Black Cat 1 as well.

If we all agree to list the rarer books at ridiculous prices then buyers will have no choice, but there's always the one or two that will set their prices low and F things up.

That isn't how this works. That isn't how any of this works.

Buyers will always have a choice...not to buy the book. This isn't gasoline or water. Its a collectible. You aren't going to force the hand of a buyer, it doesn't work that way, especially when the item isn't 1 of 1.

The sellers aren't choosing anything.

I'm listening.. so why does Black Cat#1 reach $1000 while GoTG 4 for example doesn't? Less on the Census? Doesn't matter if they're not within reach.

Because one book features Black Cat and one features Gamora? That MIGHT have something to do with it.

Census Doesn't Equal Value.

Never wrote that it does.

Supply is driven the number of copies for sale, not how many are available (take your own advice about reading supply and demand (shrug) ?). If there's 200 copies of a book on the census in 9.8 but only 4 sales in 5 years then guess what, it doesn't matter if there's 10 copies on the census because only 4 have sold in 5 years and those 4 sales directly determine value.

And the available supply is going to increase as the market price increases. See Black Panther 1 sketch. What happened to the price there Jerome?

The point darkstar is missing is there's a difference between solid sales and 'well that price can drop because of the numbers on the census'. If that were the case, the books would never reach close to $1K. But since they constantly do exceed that AND have the census numbers that they do, your theory doesn't hold up in reality.

You missed the point entirely of why I mentioned the census in regards to SSM 20. You should read my earlier posts about it so I don't have to explain it for a third time.

Here's another example, one that no one can really argue because it pertains to everyone's 'silver age books can never do you harm' theory. How many amazing fantasy 15s are on the census? Ummm TONS of them. What price do they command? Ummm TONS of money and it keeps going up at insane rates. Yet, of course, no one bats an eye, 'oh thats just because all silver age books are 'safer''. When in fact that book causing more of a balloon than any other book in the industry. Don't try and sell the next comic book crash MA books alone because proof is in the numbers.

This has nothing to do with anything.

But keep hating on MA variants since there's nothing else for you to do.

Jerome

If I had thrown thousands of dollars at these books I would probably be in here on a daily basis defending them as well. You should read up on RMA's posts about this forum's inability to often separate discussion and debate from personal feelings.

Yes, appreciate which JSC book will go up in value next :) Not saying darkstar is wrong in his thinking but I still agree more with this:

Originally Posted By: Lethal_Collector

Supply is driven the number of copies for sale, not how many are available (take your own advice about reading supply and demand \(shrug\) ?). If there's 200 copies of a book on the census in 9.8 but only 4 sales in 5 years then guess what, it doesn't matter if there's 10 copies on the census because only 4 have sold in 5 years and those 4 sales directly determine value.

I also follow Adam Hughes, take his Supergirl Legion of Superheroes 23 for example, another highly sought after book but copies do pop up on a steady basis. Last year the book was going for $300. The Supergirl tv show airs and sellers have the bright idea that there will be new interest in the book so now it should be worth more money. One guy lists a copy for $500 and it sells, cause theres only one copy available at the time, similar to JSC HTF books, the next guy comes along and tries for $600.. and it sells. Guess what.. its now a $600 book and climbing. My point with SSM 20 was, it doesnt matter if theres more on the census then Black Cat 1, it matters how many are for sale, if the book is hard to find then sellers, if consistent, can drive up the price.. as long as theres interest in the book. And that doesnt mean that because books start selling for $1000 that the supply will increase.. the majority of people buying these $500 - $3000 books are die hard JSC collectors and likely are not willing to sell off their collection so supply for the most part remains the same.. and if they are sold off, its still trickled onto the market one at a time if they're smart.

Anyway, back to JSC fandom, a new sketchbook is out..

IMG_5205.jpg

. the majority of people buying these $500 - $3000 books are die hard JSC collectors and likely are not willing to sell off their collection so supply for the most part remains the same.

IMG_5205.jpg

Exactly . Totally agree.

Believe it or not, there are true Campbell collectors out there. Not everyone is a flipper or speculator. Some collectors don't want to sell books despite the profit.

Btw. Love that sketchbook.