• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHURCH COPY ACTION COMICS #1

157 posts in this topic

Few collectors or dealers have actually seen it. And not for many years. But. Fischler for one remembers it 9.2ish. Its not one of the perfectly solid unblemished Church 9.8s... but its still the nicest Action #1 ever found to date. I have seen the next best few copies amd they have their flaws, while being very very nice looking books especially being Action #1s.

Few collectors or dealers have actually seen it. And not for many years. But. Fischler for one remembers it 9.2ish. Its not one of the perfectly solid unblemished Church 9.8s... but its still the nicest Action #1 ever found to date. I have seen the next best few copies amd they have their flaws, while being very very nice looking books especially being Action #1s.

In the mid eighties, I had the fortunate experience of holding that book in my hands. Grant it that I am not an expert on grading, I did not see any problem with the book. I would have rated it a 9.4. cloud9.gif

The picture is from an article by Tom Andrae in Overstreet 18. Since it appeared with a caption & article talking about the original, and since the author usually knows what he is doing, I assumed it was the real thing. I'll know to double check the next time I post something from the guide.

Here's probably the nicest copy of Action Comics #1 you'll ever see:

gemmintdream2.jpg

Unfortuantly, it's a fake. frown.gif

Here's the nicest *real* copy I could find online:

1938-10cent-real.jpg

Now that's nice! cloud9.giftakeit.gif

And cause it's so infamous, he's probably the one in worst condition you'll ever see:

620555-751016001o.jpg

The famous "Moldy" copy. foreheadslap.gif

The picture is from an article by Tom Andrae in Overstreet 18. Since it appeared with a caption & article talking about the original, and since the author usually knows what he is doing, I assumed it was the real thing. I'll know to double check the next time I post something from the guide.

There are two tell-tale signs of the reprint. One is that the two large rocks to the right of the car's front grill are missing. The other is that the light reflection on the car's fender is missing.