• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2014!

315 posts in this topic

Yeah!! Let's keep quoting it so that we can wear out the scroll bars!!

Or, instead of being such a bad tempered mess all the time you could just send someone a PM and explain how they can prevent it or just politely do it here. Some people have no idea.

:makepoint:

Or, instead of being such a bad tempered mess all the time you could just send someone a PM and explain how they can prevent it or just politely do it here. Some people have no idea.

In Comics General? Bah! Poppycock!

This year I really decided to not only focus down my collection but to stick to it !.

Its the first year I haven't bought a single silver age book and the first year I actually sold off some of my collection "Being a horder of books that's a big step for me :)"

So now for my big 3 !

First up is what got me started on my focus collection. here is DWOTN #9

Its the Crowley Copy/Checking copy and I purchased it from our old friend Paratrooper

15030.jpg

I was able to read most of the stories online and decided I really enjoyed them. His Arch Nemesis was a Pistol Packing Pirate Peach "say that 5 times fast" named Singapore Sal

So this was my absolute favorite cover of the year and favorite book pickup of the year ! :) I bought the book from Cheetah "Thanks again mano ! "

be9h6b.jpg

Finally Being a little afraid of my books getting damaged I had never submitted to CGC before. That all changed when this little gal came into my possession. Its the first appearance of Singapore Sal

and I'm hoping it comes back with a grade of 6.0 or higher "I guess Ill find out late this month or next year :)"

54ss3s.jpg

If anyone wants to read about the Don Winslow books and my collection you can read about it here

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8195171&fpart=1

Here are my top 3 for the year.

1. title splash from the last issue of the Invisibles by Frank Quitely:

oMLNt4AB_1010141850201.jpg

3. Total pop art of King Mob from the Invisibles. IMO one of the best KM pages in Vol 2

d6tGJAap_1206142230431.jpg

Love the Invisibles art!!! (worship)

Thanks guys. Added spoilers tags just to make the grumps happy.

These are up on the wall of the hallway of my house now. I'll try to share a pic when I get home, I think it came out pretty sick.

Top 3, that's a tough one.

Well, I started the year with this, Charles Paul Wilson III does some amazing art on such an amazing series:

jlYqR1me_1601141153581.jpg

Then, I topped the year off by adding these two great cover pieces. Sacrifices had to be made, but well worth it to add a Simone Bianchi and John Cassaday to the gallery.

bQcARBR6_0711141331201.jpg

MaZ4S9rH_1011141540461.jpg

Awesome pieces :applause:

Not my job to mollycoddle the noobs.

It's been another vintage year in the OA hobby for me - picked up a lot of great pieces, only a fraction of which have been posted in my CAF gallery. Out of those acquisitions that I've made public, I'll go with these three for my Acquisitions of the Year:

1. Paul Smith - Uncanny X-Men #172 Cover Art - *The* cover to the comic a friend lent to me which got me hooked on comics in 1983. The most nostalgic and meaningful piece of original art I could ever hope to attain in this hobby! (Note: the personalization in the UPC box has been masked to conceal the former owner's identity. He offered to have Paul Smith remove the personalization, but I refused - I feel the personalization adds charm, character and an interesting backstory/provenance to the piece).

photo PaulSmithUncannyX-Men172CoverMasterredacted-1.jpg

2. John Romita, Jr. - Uncanny X-Men #176 Cover Art - UXM #172 was the issue that hooked me on comics, but it was a friend's copy. When I decided to become a regular reader/collector, the first comic I bought off the stands at the local 7-11 with my own six dimes was this one, UXM #176. These two covers are like my childhood memories distilled onto two 11 x 17" sheets of art board. :cloud9:

photo JohnRomitaJrUncannyX-Men176coverresized.jpg

3. Alan Davis - Uncanny X-Men #213 pp. 19-20 - The Mutant Massacre was the last really great X-Men storyline for me. I mean, sure, there were still some good stories to come in the following years, but none that have really stuck with me as much as those in the GSXM1 to UXM 213 run. I'm very happy to have secured the best two pages from the last issue of the storyline, UXM #213, featuring Wolverine and Sabretooth going at it in one of their earliest battles!

photo AlanDavisUncannyX-Men213p19.jpg

photo AlanDavisUncannyX-Men213p20.jpg

Not my job to mollycoddle the noobs.

But it is to act like a bad tempered mess?