• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Avengers #1 Would You Buy?

22 posts in this topic

Which would you buy, unrestored or restored Avengers #1 CGC 6.5? If restored was half the price?

I assume most people on these boards would buy the unrestored. But I opted for the restored. It was in my price range, the blue wasn't.

I've written the whole story in my journal if you're interested. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7287580&fpart=30

Thanks for reading.

Avengers1CGC65S1909_zpsb07c68ff.jpg

I think you did well with the restored copy. Color touch is the least of all evils when it comes to restoration imo. I see books with blue labels that have pen, pencil or datestamps all over them but for half the price you get a book with an indiscriminate amount of marker on it... seems like a win to me.

Your copy looks much nicer than the blue label. Quite honestly I would have grabbed that copy even if the price difference was much smaller. PLOD books like that don't bother me at all and with such a price variance will be the only way I'll ever be able to afford a lot of books.

Congrats!

I'd absolutely pay less money for a restored book - as long as I felt I could get my money back out of it someday should I choose to sell it.

Let me put it this way...

I am not too "big" on Metro/Comic Connect as of late so with the exception of the AF15's that were sold, I have not been paying attention to their listings. I think I threw in a bid on something, and then walked away realizing I don't want to send any money their way as of late.

Had I seen that so called PLOD book, you would be writing a journal entry about how you missed an opportunity to pick up a purple label 6.5 at less than half a blue label by one bid.

Excellent pickup. Color touch shouldn't be too much of a bother. We accept date stamps and signatures but no CT. I have seen someone color in part of the cover in another color than that which the cover was set in and it received a blue label. (Basically indiscriminate coloring)

Excellent pickup... well done. I am slightly jealous.

Thanks for all your comments about the Avengers #1. I had a similar decision a couple years ago, when I was picking between a Spiderman 1 cgc 7.0 (restored) and an unrestored cgc3.0. Here the sale price was about the same. I picked the restored, and I still can't believe I own an ASM 1 cgc 7.0. But back then in 2013, most people said they would have gone for the unrestored 3.0. I've posted more details and pictures in my journal. Thanks for reading.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7287580&fpart=30