• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Gwen - Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez

2,566 posts in this topic

I can't get over how much whining there is over the slippers. If that's the biggest problem people have with this book, then it should be a HUGE hit.

(And if anyone needs an EoSV 2 CGC 9.9, you know where to find me. ;)

Well, if she had prettier slippers, you would have sold that 9.9 by now!

hahaha

It's just a running joke now.

I can't help myself. Easy target.

Deep down inside, I want a Marvel rep to come on here, tell us all we were right, and give her new shoes.

There was some discussion about how Silk might be a better buy over Spider-Gwen in terms of longevity and popularity. I thought about this for awhile and had come to the conclusion that while this is comparing apples to oranges the reality is that Spider-Gwen might be the bigger winner.

For starters, she has a 1st app that has been seeing prices reach $40-50 in NM with no signs of slowing down. I can't say the same is true for Spider-Man #4 or Original Sin #4. Also, the Spider-Gwen series is being made due to fans outpouring while the Silk series I believe had already been planned. Furthermore, Gwen has more history with the Spider fans than Silk and for that reason alone I find her to be a much more interesting character within the spider-verse.

I'm not saying that Silk won't have her day in the sun but from what I can see, her and Peter have a sexually charged relationship but beyond that she hasn't really been developed to encompass decades of history and a special relationship with the reader.

So while I hope both character succeed in their new series and have the female and male readership en masse, I have faith that Spider-Gwen has more going for her than Silk. But again, that's like comparing apples and oranges.

What's your opinion? hm

I think Spider Gwen is a flash in the pan since it's going to be in an alternate universe...they'll eventually shut that universe down and we'll be left with Silk (unless Gwen crosses over again)

What about Spider-Girl who had a 100+ series and a popular fan following? That would appear to contradict that train of thought. Complete CGC auctions on eBay

Also, the Ultimate Universe is still going with Miles Morale taking center stage. I enjoy the character and think that he has a real future somewhere in the Spider-Verse.

Edited by whetteon

I'm going with Spider-Gwen for the win here. She was brought this height by the readers. This was never expected. She will have a place on the rack as long as people buy. Silk will be around as long as Slott has a story to tell, I'm guessing that her solo only goes 12 issues before Marvel just keeps her in Amazing

Nope. Silk doesnt wear slippers.

Ok, I know its not funny anymore.. But what guys here need to understand is that clearly the demographics for female characters prefer cute over dark.. You could be a bada$$ and look as cute as Harley, or you could have a furry tail, or ..

Wear slippers...

Slippers is not slippers.. Slippers is just the new demographics

I think they both will be popular for the next 12 months or so.

I think Silk's solo series begins to tank around issue 4 or 5, and gets cancelled by issue 12.

I think Spider-Gwen's solo series does well, with readership only dropping off between issues 1 and 2.

Buuuuuuut, it's long term success after the first arc will be how the writer builds this new universe. We have all seen these alternate universe stories do well, but we have also seen them be horrific and go straight to cancelled town.

I have faith in Spider-Gwen for some reason though. I think the potential is there for a great story. I usually really like alternate timelines (Ultimate Universe had me HOOKED for years), and I have high hopes for this world as well.

(and no, I do not have a stack of them to flip, haha)

There was some discussion about how Silk might be a better buy over Spider-Gwen in terms of longevity and popularity. I thought about this for awhile and had come to the conclusion that while this is comparing apples to oranges the reality is that Spider-Gwen might be the bigger winner.

For starters, she has a 1st app that has been seeing prices reach $40-50 in NM with no signs of slowing down. I can't say the same is true for Spider-Man #4 or Original Sin #4. Also, the Spider-Gwen series is being made due to fans outpouring while the Silk series I believe had already been planned. Furthermore, Gwen has more history with the Spider fans than Silk and for that reason alone I find her to be a much more interesting character within the spider-verse.

I'm not saying that Silk won't have her day in the sun but from what I can see, her and Peter have a sexually charged relationship but beyond that she hasn't really been developed to encompass decades of history and a special relationship with the reader.

So while I hope both character succeed in their new series and have the female and male readership en masse, I have faith that Spider-Gwen has more going for her than Silk. But again, that's like comparing apples and oranges.

What's your opinion? hm

Most all comic shops order heavy on Amaing Spider-man. Edge of Spider-verse wasn't ordered that heavily, this is why EoSv #2 is selling higher than ASM #4, and really the only reason. I believe both characters new series will do well, given that stories & art are good.

What's your opinion? hm

Most all comic shops order heavy on Amaing Spider-man. Edge of Spider-verse wasn't ordered that heavily, this is why EoSv #2 is selling higher than ASM #4, and really the only reason. I believe both characters new series will do well, given that stories & art are good.

^^

SPIDER-GWEN SPINS INTO HER OWN SERIES!

• BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT! The breakout hit of the biggest Spider-Event of the century is taking comic shops by storm this winter with her own new ongoing series – SPIDER-GWEN!

• Gwen Stacy is Spider-Woman, but you knew that already. What you DON’T know is that edge of spider verse #2 2nd print is on fire too!

Edited by Aweandlorder

SPIDER-GWEN SPINS INTO HER OWN SERIES!

• BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT! The breakout hit of the biggest Spider-Event of the century is taking comic shops by storm this winter with her own new ongoing series – SPIDER-GWEN!

• Gwen Stacy is Spider-Woman, but you knew that already. What you DON’T know is that edge of spider verse #2 2nd print is on fire too!

I am surprised that 2nd print went that high.