• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Gwen - Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez

2,566 posts in this topic

I think saying that 99% of the reason people like Spider-Gwen is because of her costume is misguided. Especially since people's favorite topic to discuss is how much they hate a particular part of the costume.

I think the biggest appeal in the character is the fact that it is Gwen Stacy.

Gwen Stacy is not a new character. This costume is new. And apart from some playful ribbing regarding her footwear, I guess you missed the last half dozen or so posts where everyone complained about the fact that she is NOT wearing the costume on the announced cover. :eyeroll:

-J.

That would be the case for anybody from Superman/Clark Kent to Spider-man/Peter Parker. The hero is always in higher demand than the alter ego imo.

I think saying that 99% of the reason people like Spider-Gwen is because of her costume is misguided. Especially since people's favorite topic to discuss is how much they hate a particular part of the costume.

I think the biggest appeal in the character is the fact that it is Gwen Stacy.

Gwen Stacy is not a new character. This costume is new. And apart from some playful ribbing regarding her footwear, I guess you missed the last half dozen or so posts where everyone complained about the fact that she is NOT wearing the costume on the announced cover. :eyeroll:

-J.

That would be the case for anybody from Superman/Clark Kent to Spider-man/Peter Parker. The hero is always in higher demand than the alter ego imo.

Yup. (thumbs u

Although here we have a previously existing character shoehorned into a previously existing concept in an "alternate universe".

The neat costume being the only actually "new" thing, I don't blame fans for wanting to see it prominently on the cover.

-J.

the fact of the matter is her first appearance in the EOSV#2 is selling like hot cakes, im sure her #1 issue of her new series will be the same as well... i don't believe she'll be having the same popularity as Harley Quinn but she will continue to rise in stardom.

Worse case scenario she goes to say 46 issues like the the original spidey 2099 and then she disappears for awhile and they bring her back. ORR they just make her a regular in the current 616 earth.

:sick::screwy:

-J.

judging by the current news of secret wars, i'd say there is quite a chance she does become a regular rather Spider character rather then from an alternate universe character... I suggest you read up on how its going to work son....

Edited by Donmeca2020

the fact of the matter is her first appearance in the EOSV#2 is selling like hot cakes, im sure her #1 issue of her new series will be the same as well... i don't believe she'll be having the same popularity as Harley Quinn but she will continue to rise in stardom.

Worse case scenario she goes to say 46 issues like the the original spidey 2099 and then she disappears for awhile and they bring her back. ORR they just make her a regular in the current 616 earth.

-J.

judging by the current news of secret wars, i'd say there is quite a chance she does become a regular rather Spider character rather then from an alternate universe character... I suggest you read up on how its going to work son....

You were wrong then and you're still wrong. Alternate universe characters possibly crossing paths with the real characters from 616 in a Secret Wars crossover doesn't mean jack. You are seriously overestimating the "potential" of this barely three month old re-hashed, gimmicky character.

Son.

-J.

-J.

You were wrong then and you're still wrong. Alternate universe characters possibly crossing paths with the real characters from 616 in a Secret Wars crossover doesn't mean jack. You are seriously overestimating the "potential" of this barely three month old re-hashed, gimmicky character.

Son.

-J.

From the press release they're making it out to be a compression of the different universes, so at the end of it there will be one universe only, with a blend of characters that survive the event filling it out. It's certainly not a stretch to expect Spider-Gwen to be one of the characters that gets a ticket to the new marvel singular universe.

-J.

Son.

-J.

From the press release they're making it out to be a compression of the different universes, so at the end of it there will be one universe only, with a blend of characters that survive the event filling it out. It's certainly not a stretch to expect Spider-Gwen to be one of the characters that gets a ticket to the new marvel singular universe.

There are too many "Spider-women" already in the main universe and the Gwen Stacy character comes with too much baggage. Such a move would likely evoke severe derision from many, many fans and I would hope marvel knows that. Whether or not they care is another story. lol

But expect her to stay on the edge of the spider-verse IMO.

Miles Morales would have a much better shot, as an actually original character with years of fan goodwill already under his belt. (thumbs u

-J.

From CBR -

Spider-Gwen-2-Cover-196x300.jpg

Best costume design…possibly ever??? I admit that the number of Spider-related titles seems excessive these days (but I say this as someone who hasn’t traditionally/regularly read a lot of Spider-Man stories) and I kind of doubt the market can sustain three female led Spider-related titles but it’s hard to imagine Spider-Gwen not soaring to the top of the pack with the excitement over the character generally – the costume alone generates an epic amount of fan art and general sighs of devotion and squees of happiness. Add to that Jason Latour, Robbi Rodriguez, and Rico Renzi creative force behind it and it seems like it will be slam dunk. *The cover above by Sara Pichelli is actually for issue #2 but it was too gorgeous not to post here