• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Gwen - Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez

2,566 posts in this topic

I use common sense.

There is no way there are 250,000+ regular covers of #1 out there.

There is no doubt in my mind that number includes variants.

I have always been told the total numbers listed as the print run includes all covers and variants for that book, and I will continue believing that until I see hard proof it does not.

Cue famous Journey song. lol

-J.

I use common sense.

I have always been told the total numbers listed as the print run includes all covers and variants for that book, and I will continue believing that until I see hard proof it does not.

-J.

Just a small town girl...

Spider Gwen 4 - SG no more?

11081198_10153665040137542_6271831454953626499_n.jpg

Really like this cover. Is this the reg or variant cover for issue #4?

I think its the var.. Marvel shows a diff version on their site, but this just came from Latours twitter pg..

I totally love this cover just because it looks very street artyish. Sooooo in tune with the character and the storyline.. #latourricorobbikillingit

I use common sense.

Cue famous Pink Floyd song. lol

I have clicked a couple links to that recalled comics site and while some of their estimates seem accurate, they are still just an aftermarket speculator site.

I respect your opinion, but it is actually a specialty site and resource tool for variant hunters and the like. And for my money I put far more weight on the educated estimates of a guy with no skin in the game, who has run a FREE site for the better part of a decade, dedicated to analyzing and calculating the exact type of data at issue here, solely for the service of other fans and out of love for the hobby, than on the carnival barks of a couple of guys with books to sell. (thumbs u

-J.

I have clicked a couple links to that recalled comics site and while some of their estimates seem accurate, they are still just an aftermarket speculator site.

I respect your opinion, but it is actually a specialty site and resource tool for variant hunters and the like. And for my money I put far more weight on the educated estimates of a guy with no skin in the game, who has run a FREE site for the better part of a decade, dedicated to analyzing and calculating the exact type of data at issue here, solely for the service of other fans and out of love for the hobby, than on the carnival barks of a couple of guys with books to sell. (thumbs u

-J.

I hope that point comes across to many here because its a very important distinction.

:applause:

-J.

I was trying to get clarity on the source information & trying to relate that public data to the experiences, assumptions and assertions that were shared in this thread.

I came to my own conclusion & posted it as clearly as I could so others could understand MY opinion - this discussion has come up before right, so rather than be dodgy about sharing my opinion, I posted it. If others disagreed with it, they could challenge or correct me & that's fine since I also made assumptions. :D

:gossip: Also, I'm not sure if I'd characterize that site as having NO skin in the game if they offer books for sale (shrug)about us linky

eMail Us

Also I do have a small collection of recalled and error comics - if you are interested in purchasing, please use the link above.

I don't care much for errors or rare variants as an area of collecting focus anyways, I have some of both but I don't actively seek out either and wouldn't spend real money on any of them.

-J.

I hope that point comes across to many here because its a very important distinction.

Here's an even clearer distinction: rather than using the 'educated estimates' of a fan website, use the actual statements of the sites posting the data from Diamond, Comichron and IcV2, as posted by carcrawfordfan and bababooey earlier in the thread.

-J.

Here's an even clearer distinction: rather than using the 'educated estimates' of a fan website, use the actual statements of the sites posting the data from Diamond, Comichron and IcV2, as posted by carcrawfordfan and bababooey earlier in the thread.

You can ONLY make educated estimates because DIAMOND DOES NOT DISCLOSE THE PRINT RUNS OF VARIANTS. Nothing you or anyone else has linked to says what you say it does. In fact, the main link your buddy who says there's only 500 copies of this thing around (300 of which have been offered for sale in the last month on ebay alone) actually proves the OPPOSITE point. lol

And here you go again, still attempting to con the readers of these boards with your specious nonsense.

-J.

-J.

I was trying to get clarity on the source information & trying to relate that public data to the experiences, assumptions and assertions that were shared in this thread.

I came to my own conclusion & posted it as clearly as I could so others could understand MY opinion - this discussion has come up before right, so rather than be dodgy about sharing my opinion, I posted it. If others disagreed with it, they could challenge or correct me & that's fine since I also made assumptions. :D

:gossip: Also, I'm not sure if I'd characterize that site as having NO skin in the game if they offer books for sale (shrug)about us linky

eMail Us

Also I do have a small collection of recalled and error comics - if you are interested in purchasing, please use the link above.

I don't care much for errors or rare variants as an area of collecting focus anyways, I have some of both but I don't actively seek out either and wouldn't spend real money on any of them.

Having a "small collection" of unspecified books in a personal collection potentially for sale (and/or for trade I would imagine) is hardly a harbinger of bias or lack of objectivity. Especially considering the sheer breadth and amounts of books featured on the site. If the guy linked to his personal ebay store instead of all general ebay listings on each book's page you would have a point. But to term his small footnote at the bottom of his page referencing his small collection a "skin in the game" is a bit disingenuous IMO.

-J.

-J.

You can ONLY make educated estimates because DIAMOND DOES NOT DISCLOSE THE PRINT RUNS OF VARIANTS. Nothing you or anyone else has linked to says what you say it does. In fact, the main link your buddy who says there's only 500 copies of this thing around (300 of which have evidently been offered for sale in the last month) actually proves the OPPOSITE point. lol

And here you go again, still attempting to con the readers of these boards with your specious nonsense.

-J.

Diamond does disclose total sales, though. Those sales include variants.

Your repeated point that Diamond doesn't disclose the print runs of variants is correct. You don't need to repeat it; we'll take it as fact.

They do, however, give a total number that includes the various different covers.

I will contact John Jackson Miller at Comichron, and see if he will post here.

-J.

eMail Us

Having a "small collection" of unspecified books in a personal collection potentially for sale (and/or for trade I would imagine) is hardly a harbinger of bias or lack of objectivity. Especially considering the sheer breadth and amounts of books featured on the site. If the guy linked to his personal ebay store instead of all general ebay listings on each book's page you would have a point. But to term his small footnote at the bottom of his page referencing his small collection a "skin in the game" is a bit disingenuous IMO.

-J.

lol

You're kidding, right? You can freely accuse us of arguing for the sake of pimping a book, but there's no way this guy is doing that?

BTW, for clarity, I own NO copies of this book, and personally think it's a bad buy right now. These variants are forgotten for the most part as soon as the next hot book shows up. 2c

Edited by 500Club

-J.

You can ONLY make educated estimates because DIAMOND DOES NOT DISCLOSE THE PRINT RUNS OF VARIANTS. Nothing you or anyone else has linked to says what you say it does. In fact, the main link your buddy who says there's only 500 copies of this thing around (300 of which have evidently been offered for sale in the last month) actually proves the OPPOSITE point. lol

-J.

Diamond does disclose total sales, though. Those sales include variants.

Your repeated point that Diamond doesn't disclose the print runs of variants is correct. You don't need to repeat it; we'll take it as fact.

They do, however, give a total number that includes the various different covers.

I will contact John Jackson Miller at Comichron, and see if he will post here.

Yes please do that. Whether you choose to accept it or not, there are (at least) 2500 copies of this book out there, based on its print run. Not a ton, but certainly quite a bit for a variant. Ballparking a variant print run based on Comichron numbers is the truest, easiest, most likely to be accurate (and probably only) way of getting an IDEA of how many are out there. Factoring out the shops who may not have ordered enough to qualify, whatever bought blanks or other miscellaneous non-incentive covers are thrown in there, and then factoring IN international sales which can boost the sales total up to 30% higher, you will GENERALLY find that the comichron posted print run is the best way to figure it.

-J.

PS: He is not going to tell you what you want to hear. (thumbs u

jaydog,

Variants are included in the print run.

but, Diamond does not break down the variant totals.

See here how in...

February 2014 numbers for Batwoman #28 - 20,672

March 2014 numbers for Batwoman #29 - 19,750

April 2014 numbers for Batwoman #30 - 19,204

May 2014 numbers for Batwoman #31 - 18,463

In June of 2014, thanks to the success of the 'Bombshells Variants', the first and still the biggest of their 'theme' variants, the numbers for DC's Batwoman #32 jumped to 33,538, because VARIANTS ARE INCLUDED IN THE PRINT RUN.

I personally sold 60 sets of it between the forum and eBay. Huge success.

The next month...

July 2014 numbers for Batwoman #33 - 23,922

The whole point of the variant 'theme' is to add to the print run of some of these dud books that aren't doing as well.

Here you can clearly see it.

To add to this, my Diamond rep specifically stated: "Diamond doesn't not break out individual variant numbers, but those variants are included in the print run. Anyone can call Diamond Distribution and talk to someone who can confirm this."

Plain and simple.