• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Gwen - Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez

2,566 posts in this topic

OK so, to summarize. :insane:

Regular cover - counts toward totals sold, counts toward incentive variants

Sold variants (specialty store/blank/non-incentive) - counts toward totals sold, not broken out of totals but included, doesn't count toward incentive variants

Incentive variants - not sold or counted in sales figures, print run not disclosed but is driven by regular cover sales x ratio threshold being met on a per store basis

I approve two out of three of this message. lol;)

-J.

So you disagree on the sold variants being included in the totals sold?

I do. That only applies to Loot Crate sales. This is why comichron goes out of its way to parse out Loot Crate orders from regular distribution books (which S G #1 was).

-J.

I think the Loot Crate thing was due to the impact of the high numbers - there's nothing that has been posted or linked anywhere that says other variants aren't reported in the numbers - you're the only one reading it that way...heck, one of the quotes from that JJM guy says "variants AND Loot Crate" (shrug)

Also, how do you think they report market data, revenue, etc...from this same data if they aren't reporting (counting) items that are being sold?

That doesn't make any sense - a retailer buys 50 regular covers, 20 Scottie Youngs & 10 blanks - ICV/Comichon mark him down for 50?

Diamond will obviously have its own internal data.

As far as the reporting to comichron the number of variants sold... No, they don't do that. As far as I know, they never have.

-J.

I know your focus is incentive variants - yet you are you lumping all variants together and there's no reason for Diamond to not disclose the sales and revenue figures through their normal channels of public disclosure ICV2/Comichron. I agree there is no disclosure or breakdown of specific print runs for each variant type but when gross sales figures are reported and market shares are determined - there's no reason to not disclose gross totals. That's why you need to differentiate a sold item from an incentive item.

I have clicked a couple links to that recalled comics site and while some of their estimates seem accurate, they are still just an aftermarket speculator site.

OK so, to summarize. :insane:

Regular cover - counts toward totals sold, counts toward incentive variants

Sold variants (specialty store/blank/non-incentive) - counts toward totals sold, not broken out of totals but included, doesn't count toward incentive variants

Incentive variants - not sold or counted in sales figures, print run not disclosed but is driven by regular cover sales x ratio threshold being met on a per store basis

I approve two out of three of this message. lol;)

-J.

So you disagree on the sold variants being included in the totals sold?

I do. That only applies to Loot Crate sales. This is why comichron goes out of its way to parse out Loot Crate orders from regular distribution books (which S G #1 was).

-J.

I think the Loot Crate thing was due to the impact of the high numbers - there's nothing that has been posted or linked anywhere that says other variants aren't reported in the numbers - you're the only one reading it that way...heck, one of the quotes from that JJM guy says "variants AND Loot Crate" (shrug)

Also, how do you think they report market data, revenue, etc...from this same data if they aren't reporting (counting) items that are being sold?

That doesn't make any sense - a retailer buys 50 regular covers, 20 Scottie Youngs & 10 blanks - ICV/Comichon mark him down for 50?

Diamond will obviously have its own internal data.

As far as the reporting to comichron the number of variants sold... No, they don't do that. As far as I know, they never have.

-J.

I know your focus is incentive variants - yet you are you lumping all variants together and there's no reason for Diamond to not disclose the sales and revenue figures through their normal channels of public disclosure ICV2/Comichron. I agree there is no disclosure or breakdown of specific print runs for each variant type but when gross sales figures are reported and market shares are determined - there's no reason to not disclose gross totals. That's why you need to differentiate a sold item from an incentive item.

I have clicked a couple links to that recalled comics site and while some of their estimates seem accurate, they are still just an aftermarket speculator site.

Yes I will grant you that is a reasonable assumption. You will still find comichron's flat domestic reported sales figures the easiest way to calculate an incentive variant print run however, because, again, whatever miscellaneous shortage that might be created by those "sold item variants" versus the regular covers in their total will easily be made up for by international sales. Basically making it a wash either way. Which has been my point from the beginning.

And I agree with zacrew, this has been a rather insipid debate. lol

-J.

What is all this arguing really about? This seems about as significant about arguing what GM uses to stuff the cushions of their seats.

I don't know how much of it is relevant to Spider Gwen.. (shrug) but I don't care about that character too much.

There was some variant/print run discussion with good info earlier...I learned something from it so I'm continuing on.

What is all this arguing really about? This seems about as significant about arguing what GM uses to stuff the cushions of their seats.

Not really.

In the age of ratio dispensed variants, it's almost certain the question of ballparking a variant's print run will come up again.

I don't know how much of it is relevant to Spider Gwen.. (shrug) but I don't care about that character too much.

There was some variant/print run discussion with good info earlier...I learned something from it so I'm continuing on.

(thumbs u

In that vein, what information do we have as far as international sales go? Is there any data whatsoever to go on?

(thumbs u

In that vein, what information do we have as far as international sales go? Is there any data whatsoever to go on?

ICV2 ballparks international as 5-20 % not including UK - so it's not very scientific.

lol

I use common sense.

There is no way there are 250,000+ regular covers of #1 out there.

There is no doubt in my mind that number includes variants.

I have always been told the total numbers listed as the print run includes all covers and variants for that book, and I will continue believing that until I see hard proof it does not.

I use common sense.

I have always been told the total numbers listed as the print run includes all covers and variants for that book, and I will continue believing that until I see hard proof it does not.

So even still is there like 200 k of the regular #1 out there then? That is almost double a Batman or ASM number each month. A ton of these out there.

I use common sense.

So even still is there like 200 k of the regular #1 out there then? That is almost double a Batman or ASM number each month. A ton of these out there.

There are a tons of fans. I dont think anyone still understands..

http://www.comicscube.com/2015/03/spider-gwen-2-reason-i-still-read-comics.html

IMG_0075.jpg

10369136_10153658521207542_6214046007709872979_n.jpg

I use common sense.

There were what?

At least 10 store variants, with multiple variants?

I'd say the 200,000 is much closer to the regular cover number.

And yes, there are still a ton out there.