• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next CLINK auction is starting to stack up some interesting pieces

556 posts in this topic

Yes, that Decarlo cover from the 90's at over $1000 is a really insane price. I've been following Archie art for the past several years and I think at best, it should be in the $350 - $450 range. There has been some insane bids on early silver age Decarlo comics (not art) on ebay in the past few months - $900+ for a Fine condition Josie #1, for example, but the bidding on this cover just leaves me shaking my head.

Someone is definitely on the Dan DeCarlo train since last year. I'm amazed at the resurgence in prices on his items as of late. His Humorama pieces are going up as well.

This was kind of my whole point saying that pieces more geared towards being low play on prices are seeing an upward swing in their return. It seems that more people are shocked at the return rate on these lower pieces than anything on the big end.

I look at all the art I bought in 2013 - much of it material that people would consider to be not bad stuff - and, in most cases, I'm not sure if I can get my money out of them yet if I were to sell now. A lot of it is probably basically flat or maybe a little up, but probably not up enough to cover a commission hurdle if I were to resell at auction.

I think that's pretty normal in comics / OA / most collectibles though, and not really indicative of the strength of the market. Outside of outliers or overly heated markets the experience is usually that you get a pretty decent return on quality material but only when you hold it for a while, especially factoring selling costs as you say. I rarely expect to break even or make money on anything bought at full FMV without holding it at least 2 years.

Chris

Thanks for answering my question on AA pricing.

Welcome back BTW.

Cheers!

N.

No problem and thanks.

I've heard several artists rationalize commission and unpublished prices the same way, so it makes sense that he might have done the same.

Lovely animal man 16 cover @ 7600

About where I put that one for a collector to buy it....would not be shocked to see it with a dealer and with a $10k-11k tag on it.

I'd say 40-60 myself. I cant really see someone laying 100 smackers although crazier things have happened!

If Rich Buckler art is fetching $40-$60K, I may have to call time on this hobby. :tonofbricks:

Buckler FF #166 cover sells for $37,500, does not reach the $40-$100K pre-auction estimate. Thank God, now I don't have to quit this hobby. :P