• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Been away from the boards for a few days..So where are we at? Two steps forward, three steps back?

Budget doesn't exist anymore.

Paying GPA high for a spec.

Still spending triple-digit $$$ on a min-wage PT job.

Can't even cosign himself to showering once a day because cleanliness apparently irritates his skin.

So, yeah.

Apparently he is actively looking for the 1:25 variant all over Facebook.

"WTB: Darth Vader 3 1:25 Variant

I prefer a graded copy but will buy raw as well

Pm me with scans and prices"

Man, I guess when his buddy said Aphra is going to be huge he went ALL IN!

AND he is buying more "games" and "toys"such at the Thrift Shop...

What Gabe says at the 1:58 - 2:06 mark pretty much says it all for this thread...

Those games and toys are from four months ago I just never got around to making the video.

So I guess they didn't sell in the two week time frame you figured in your videos?

As for videos as well, why waste time making a video and uploading it to YouTube? Nobody cares, absolutely nobody cares. Use that time more productively. Do more research. Something. Anything

Jim

Been away from the boards for a few days..So where are we at? Two steps forward, three steps back?

Can't even cosign himself to showering once a day because cleanliness apparently irritates his skin.

So, yeah.

True story. When I was a Resident Advisor, I had to provide advice for all sorts of common sense stuff, like how to do laundry, where the library was, how to cook (even a can of peas once) and for one individual, tell him he needed to bathe more.

It got so bad, people could not stand to sit in the common TV room with this guy. People would crack the windows in the middle of winter and he would not get the hint. His roommate stopped staying in their room.

I had to have "a talk" with this guy, to tell him he needed to shower every single day. I was later told his shower consisted of him stepping into the shower and getting out with his hair still dry. I then had to explain he needed to WASH and provided him with free soap and shampoo. I also had to teach him how to do laundry as that was part of the problem and get him some laundry soap and fabric softener.

This guy was in his early 20's at the time (as was I). So Gabe, I leave you with this advice:

Shower every freaking day. Don't be the smelly guy in the TV or any room. If you have that much of a problem (which I doubt), see a dermatologist about your skin.

In the meantime, try:

I'll try it but those things are lying most of the time, I used the acne treatment that said the same thing and my skin was red and irritated for three days and I do know how to do the laundry I did it in college.

Do you do your own laundry now or does mommy do it for you?

Did you consult a dermatologist for your skin issue or did you just try one product and give up as per usual?

My mom does the laundry now and I've already consulted with a dermatologist but after their consultation they want money which I don't have. For products I've tried at least five or 6 but it seems every product has "Stearic acid"

vzxVw.gif

So, yeah.

True story. When I was a Resident Advisor, I had to provide advice for all sorts of common sense stuff, like how to do laundry, where the library was, how to cook (even a can of peas once) and for one individual, tell him he needed to bathe more.

It got so bad, people could not stand to sit in the common TV room with this guy. People would crack the windows in the middle of winter and he would not get the hint. His roommate stopped staying in their room.

I had to have "a talk" with this guy, to tell him he needed to shower every single day. I was later told his shower consisted of him stepping into the shower and getting out with his hair still dry. I then had to explain he needed to WASH and provided him with free soap and shampoo. I also had to teach him how to do laundry as that was part of the problem and get him some laundry soap and fabric softener.

This guy was in his early 20's at the time (as was I). So Gabe, I leave you with this advice:

Shower every freaking day. Don't be the smelly guy in the TV or any room. If you have that much of a problem (which I doubt), see a dermatologist about your skin.

In the meantime, try:

I'll try it but those things are lying most of the time, I used the acne treatment that said the same thing and my skin was red and irritated for three days and I do know how to do the laundry I did it in college.

Did you consult a dermatologist for your skin issue or did you just try one product and give up as per usual?

My mom does the laundry now and I've already consulted with a dermatologist but after their consultation they want money which I don't have. For products I've tried at least five or 6 but it seems every product has "Stearic acid"

vzxVw.gif

To be fair...I would choose comics over clear skin as well :shy:

I'm all for bagging the guy about comics, but maybe this is going a little far?

Taking the about showering, dermatitis, etc - it's just a bit unsavoury.

Maybe time for the mods to close this bad boy down.

Perhaps start again with a journal when you get a bit more settled.

The kid is 21 and has issues.

Maybe enough is enough.

2c

So, yeah.

In the meantime, try:

Why don't you do your own laundry?

If you do actually get severe itching from certain products, like soap, which makes bathing difficult, if you get referred to a dermatologist from your family doctor, that would be covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) so it should be "free".

The product/prescription (if required) they recommend won't be free but depending on OHIP rules for your particular ailment your 'treatment' may or may not be covered, so what did they want money for exactly?

Just imagine if you were working FULL TIME and not dinking around with comics and toys you could afford to take care of yourself.

My mom said that since I'm here it's indifferent to her if she does it or not because she adds it to the pile. My skin doesn't get super bad like you might see on tv but if my skin comes in contact with something that's stronger it will red a burning for a couple days. I didn't know OHIP covers that so I'll try asking again.

So, yeah.

What Gabe says at the 1:58 - 2:06 mark pretty much says it all for this thread...

Those games and toys are from four months ago I just never got around to making the video.

If that junk is from 4 months ago why bother posting it now? Do you still have all of it?

That's because I got around to doing it and yes I still have all the toys and board games I bought .

So, yeah.

In the meantime, try:

vzxVw.gif

I like that meme

So, yeah.

In the meantime, try:

vzxVw.gif

To be fair...I would choose comics over clear skin as well :shy:

I haven't had luck finding something that doesn't burn my face so I kinda gave up on it and my skin isn't that bad, I can still wash my face everyday and stuff to make it happen less often.

So, yeah.

So I guess they didn't sell in the two week time frame you figured in your videos?

As for videos as well, why waste time making a video and uploading it to YouTube? Nobody cares, absolutely nobody cares. Use that time more productively. Do more research. Something. Anything

Jim

It's not something that's sell-able in two weeks that I know of. I disagree obviously enough people watch me that I have almost 17,000 views which isn't a lot by comparison to other channels but it's not bad either. I also upload videos so that if people like what they see they can contact me about it.

The phrase that keeps getting repeated over and over that's killing me is "I'm working on that". This refers to any area Gabe feels he has a weakness in and is taking steps to improve.

The problem is: there is never any detail provided for HOW he's "working on that".

Good goals are ALWAYS measurable. You should be able to say "yes I accomplished this because" or "no I didn't accomplish this because". Black and white.

It's not enough to say "I'm working on math/business/emotions/hygiene". What are the exact steps you're taking to work on these areas?

I am working on it and since hygiene is something that comes up often I'll address it. I trim my nails more often and I shower more and shave more.

My emotions and impulses: I already said that I know look at gpa, triple check before I buy and see if I can get a better deal.

QUANTIFY YOUR GOALS!!!

Don't say "I'll trim my nails more". Say "I'll trim my nails every Monday and Thursday". That way, you can look back after a month and say "yes I definitely made my goal" or "no I didn't make my goal".

See the difference?

The phrase "I'm working on emotions" means nothing. Which specific emotions are you working on and what exactly are you doing to improve them? In a month's time, how can you tell if you've improved or not? Again, make it quantifiable.

Ok I'm working on my emotions of impulses and desperation.

I'm improving them but taking a deep breath if I get excited, count to 10 and look at it again

Then I check gpa to see if it's a good deal and if I see if I can buy it anywhere else for a better price

Finally after I check again to make sure that it's the right comic and grade I buy it.

Someone else is going to have to field this for me. I have no words.

Yes it's not how you would do things but it how I do things.

Please trust me when I say it's not just me. Do a google search for "S.M.A.R.T criteria" as it pertains to setting goals and tell me honestly if your "goals" meet the criteria outlined.

You'd be amazed at how effective it can be to structure your goals well.

I've read that before

Did you think there was any merit to it?

Yes I think there's merit to them

Then why not apply the concepts to your current goals? A goal is something you should be

able to write out clearly and succinctly.

I'll check them out

:pullhair:

You've already said that you've read them and that you think there's merit to the S.M.A.R.T. criteria. What on Earth is there to "check out" at this point?

I re-read through the "Ask me anything" and the "Consignment" threads linked above recently and while those threads were from about 2 years back, it appears that you haven't made any progress since then.

I fully understand that you think you have a learning disability and that you're trying to overcome it. But it's not any potential learning disability that's holding you back...it's laziness. You know I how I know? We've never had an update that said "I spent 1 hour researching profit/loss statements last night" or "I watched a YouTube video about time value of money 3 times in an attempt to understand the concept today". It's abundantly clear that you have the time to do so, you just choose not to.

As others have said, your behavior is similar to that of an addict. You swore up and down that you'd stick to your $11/week budget only to break it by making an exception the first time a book you wanted to buy became available. The whole purpose of the budget was to teach restraint. By reasoning your way into breaking your budget, you're not teaching yourself anything.

Despite the fact that many members have attempted to advise you that you need to possess a better understanding of the basics before you'll be successful, you have done little to no research in an attempt to better understand the business you're trying to master. Posters here have even laid out the specific concepts you should be familiar with. Your "bookkeeping" is good evidence that you haven't taken any of this advice seriously. It's too much work, I suppose.

In this internet age, you don't need a teacher or paid professional to learn to do something. Heck, these days, you don't even really need to go to the library. Just hop on the computer and look up these concepts until you understand them. I'd be willing to wager that if you came here with a question about basic economics or business that made it sound like you were making a attempt at understanding things better, the response would be overwhelmingly positive. But after 2 years, you'd rather "listen to your friend about hot tips" than put in any type or work into giving yourself a better understanding of these concepts that you'll need to learn in order to succeed. It's just easier that way.

You are choosing to be unsuccessful at selling comics. You are choosing to have (self-professed) sub-standard hygiene. You are choosing to only work part-time. You are choosing to live at home. You are choosing to have your mom do your laundry for you. You are choosing to take losses on most of your purchases. You are choosing to not understand basic business concepts. These are all choices you're making.

Until you turn things around, I'm out. I'll be a spectator only. I'm still holding out hope that this is the most elaborate troll ever...one that played out over several years and platforms. If so, I'll be first in line to say "you got me". But as time goes on, I see that I'm just wasting time trying as others have to point you in the right direction.

I won't wish you good luck as I've seen others do that and it seems to be the only thing you latch on to...you ignore everything else. Instead, I'll leave you with the two words that, should you choose to follow them, will definitely put you on the right path.

WORK. HARDER.

Feel free to put me on the list.

So, yeah.

Jim

It's not something that's sell-able in two weeks that I know of. I disagree obviously enough people watch me that I have almost 17,000 views which isn't a lot by comparison to other channels but it's not bad either. I also upload videos so that if people like what they see they can contact me about it.

You only work part-time and by the sounds of things, you don't have a lot of chores to do at home...You didn't have the "time" up until now to make a video of stuff you bought 4 months ago? Seriously, why bother???

Just because people are watching isn't anything special. I had a YouTube video clip used in a TV show called Outrageous Acts of Science. People will pick up, watch or post just about anything nowadays.

Like your journal, views on YouTube don't necessarily mean that you will be seen in a positive light. You may have 17,000 views and a lot of people may read your journal but I would go out on a limb to say that neither have instilled confidence in you as a 'pop culture' dealer or productive individual.

There is such a thing as "bad press".

So, yeah.

In the meantime, try:

Why don't you do your own laundry?

If you do actually get severe itching from certain products, like soap, which makes bathing difficult, if you get referred to a dermatologist from your family doctor, that would be covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) so it should be "free".

The product/prescription (if required) they recommend won't be free but depending on OHIP rules for your particular ailment your 'treatment' may or may not be covered, so what did they want money for exactly?

Just imagine if you were working FULL TIME and not dinking around with comics and toys you could afford to take care of yourself.

My mom said that since I'm here it's indifferent to her if she does it or not because she adds it to the pile. My skin doesn't get super bad like you might see on tv but if my skin comes in contact with something that's stronger it will red a burning for a couple days. I didn't know OHIP covers that so I'll try asking again.

If you feel you have non-cosmetic skin issues, book an appointment to see your family doctor or if you don't have one, go to a walk in clinic. Get a referral to an allergist and/or dermatologist. Those visits will be covered by OHIP. If you need a prescription, those won't be fully paid but I mean come on man, sort yourself out before you buy more books.

No money?

A DV 3 CGC 9.8 for 87 bucks

and a IH CGC 5.0 SS for 191 bucks

No money?

He sold comics to buy those. Comic money doesn't pay for doctors, silly, only more comics. Comic money doesn't pay back debt either, so rather than use it to fill the hole he'd already dug for himself, he spent it on other stuff.

No money?

He sold comics to buy those. Comic money doesn't pay for doctors, silly, only more comics. Comic money doesn't pay back debt either, so rather than use it to fill the hole he'd already dug for himself, he spent it on other stuff.

So the $11 per week budget is for money he earns from his job, but if he sells stuff he can use that money to buy whatever books he can afford. I think I'm finally starting to understand how his mind works hm

So, yeah.

Jim

You only work part-time and by the sounds of things, you don't have a lot of chores to do at home...You didn't have the "time" up until now to make a video of stuff you bought 4 months ago? Seriously, why bother???

Just because people are watching isn't anything special. I had a YouTube video clip used in a TV show called Outrageous Acts of Science. People will pick up, watch or post just about anything nowadays.

Like your journal, views on YouTube don't necessarily mean that you will be seen in a positive light. You may have 17,000 views and a lot of people may read your journal but I would go out on a limb to say that neither have instilled confidence in you as a 'pop culture' dealer or productive individual.

There is such a thing as "bad press".

I recorded the video as soon as I got it but never uploaded and I never said it special but I'm proud to almost have 17,000 views, as for how people see me that I'm not sure.

8 8