• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,152 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2022 at 7:21 PM, eastriver31400 said:

Let's be honest with ourselves. No way most of these books would escape someone doing an actual QC check.  

I think its safe to assume that there is NO quality-control going on at all with the current backlog. There is just no time for it. Probably more cost effective to have a small percentage of books sent back for reholdering. 

This is probably true. If so, in my opinion it is also shameful.

Know what else is shameful? Knowing that you have a problem and doing nothing to fix it.

Is anyone else encountering this case issue and do you think it is bad enough to send back as a mechanical error?   The issue is a stress area in the center of the back of the case.  Some also have a stress area around the outside of the back of the case.  You cannot feel it, so the stress is internal.  You cannot see this unless you hold the case at an angle to the light and even then it is not always easy to spot.  As far as I can tell, it does not distort the image of the comic when viewed head on.  I had a number of these in another lot.  All of those had other issues (scratches, splotches, etc.) so I returned those.  However, I now have three where this is the only issue.  Kind of hate to keep sending these back, but then, someone is going to spend around ten grand for this comic (Fantastic Four #5 CGC 3.5), so I want it to be right.  

What do you think.  Bad enough to send back or not worth worrying about since you cannot see it when viewed head on?

I attached a few images.  I am not a good enough photographer (and do not have the right filters and such) toake the issue crystal clear, but I think you can see it.

By the way, I did discuss this with CGC and was lucky enough to get a CSR who had worked in QC in the past.  He said this issue is likely caused by the machine that pops the case together applying too much pressure.  He was also completely honest about the QC issues at CGC.  He indicated they are training a lot of new people in that department and that he expected the issue to improve as this year goes on.

CGC_Issue_01.thumb.jpg.88797f442ce91a7e93f74bed8cb653b2.jpgCGC_Issue_03.thumb.jpg.4e18cada830f83fd3d5c280d32c5f4f8.jpg

CGC_Issue_02.thumb.jpg.2a185bc7ede385d706d255acafa002ca.jpg

Edited by Dan'el

On 5/7/2022 at 8:35 PM, Dan'el said:

Is anyone else encountering this case issue and do you think it is bad enough to send back as a mechanical error?   The issue is a stress area in the center of the back of the case.  Some also have a stress area around the outside of the back of the case.  You cannot feel it, so the stress is internal.  You cannot see this unless you hold the case at an angle to the light and even then it is not always easy to spot.  As far as I can tell, it does not distort the image of the comic when viewed head on.  I had a number of these in another lot.  All of those had other issues (scratches, splotches, etc.) so I returned those.  However, I now have three where this is the only issue.  Kind of hate to keep sending these back, but then, someone is going to spend around ten grand for this comic (Fantastic Four #5 CGC 3.5), so I want it to be right.  

What do you think.  Bad enough to send back or not worth worrying about since you cannot see it when viewed head on?

I attached a few images.  I am not a good enough photographer (and do not have the right filters and such) toake the issue crystal clear, but I think you can see it.

By the way, I did discuss this with CGC and was lucky enough to get a CSR who had worked in QC in the past.  He said this issue is likely caused by the machine that pops the case together applying too much pressure.  He was also completely honest about the QC issues at CGC.  He indicated they are training a lot of new people in that department and that he expected the issue to improve as this year goes on.

CGC_Issue_01.thumb.jpg.88797f442ce91a7e93f74bed8cb653b2.jpgCGC_Issue_03.thumb.jpg.4e18cada830f83fd3d5c280d32c5f4f8.jpg

Send it back. If you ever sell it, people will try to nickle and dime you for a damaged case.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:35 PM, Dan'el said:

On 5/7/2022 at 11:47 PM, Tnexus said:

Send it back. If you ever sell it, people will try to nickle and dime you for a damaged case.

+1 

Also some of these "bubble" or curvature deformations can leave impressions on books. Which has been known a puddling.  

OWK is right. It's common enough that it has a name ... Puddling. It'll damage the book. It's caused by CGC. They should (and will) reholder it on their dime.

Something else that a QC dept would catch. Too bad no such department exists over there.

Over on Facebook on several of the WATA/VGA sealed video game collecting groups......people will go ape s**t when an occasional mistake is made by one of the current game grading companies.

Then, like clockwork, you'll always have some id10ts chime in about how they're just going to wait for CGC's game grading service, because they don't want to have to deal with a company making errors like this.

And they're dead serious. :facepalm:

Finally learned my lesson, going to have to start taking pictures before I send books off.  Just got a book returned from the Claremont signing with a big ding on the back corner that I KNOW was not there when I sent it in.  This is a little ridiculous.

On 5/8/2022 at 5:07 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

+1 

Also some of these "bubble" or curvature deformations can leave impressions on books. Which has been known a puddling.  

We have our own thread on this topic. 

Puddling

On 5/10/2022 at 7:03 AM, Miguelb said:

Finally learned my lesson, going to have to start taking pictures before I send books off.  Just got a book returned from the Claremont signing with a big ding on the back corner that I KNOW was not there when I sent it in.  This is a little ridiculous.

You should always document before you send off. Though it goes both ways because I've sent stuff off I was 100% certain did not have a flaw only to look at my pictures and see it did.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:01 AM, Tnexus said:

You should always document before you send off. Though it goes both ways because I've sent stuff off I was 100% certain did not have a flaw only to look at my pictures and see it did.

Agreed.

You know, in order for CGC to start fixing their QA/QC, TAT's, and comic handling issues, maybe a chit load of submitters should stop sending in stuff for awhile...then they can catch up and teach their people how to do things properly.  Is that even a possibility?

Asking for a friend....:foryou:

On 5/10/2022 at 12:20 PM, Galen130 said:

You know, in order for CGC to start fixing their QA/QC, TAT's, and comic handling issues, maybe a chit load of submitters should stop sending in stuff for awhile...then they can catch up and teach their people how to do things properly.  Is that even a possibility?

Asking for a friend....:foryou:

Too many wagons now hitched to CGC's horse. I know of at least 4 people that left their day jobs to sell comics full time in the last year. While it is wishful thinking, it wont happen. CGC most likely has what it needs at their disposal, its getting the most out of the resource on hand where they may be faltering. 

On 5/10/2022 at 11:12 AM, joeypost said:

Too many wagons now hitched to CGC's horse. I know of at least 4 people that left their day jobs to sell comics full time in the last year. While it is wishful thinking, it wont happen. CGC most likely has what it needs at their disposal, its getting the most out of the resource on hand where they may be faltering. 

Oh, I know....I was being facetious. lol

It would be nice, but it's not really an option...I agree.  They lost my business, along with others I'm sure.  I think people like me are now in a very small minority...IMO.