• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2022 at 10:35 AM, billsid said:

it's definitely a QC issue 3 graders supposedly looked at this right??? 

That's bad grading.  QC is, in my mind, making sure the book isn't damaged, gets safely in the slab, is labeled correctly and arrives without scratches or other damage.  

On 4/29/2022 at 11:33 AM, Transplant said:

That's not a QC issue unless they swapped labels. 

I suspect this.
I have had the opposite happen…graders notes with defects that don’t belong to the book, resulting in a lower grade. Likely mixed it up with a different copy

On 4/29/2022 at 11:11 AM, billsid said:

So QC only falls under the case?

QC shouldn't be expected to catch grading errors, because they are by definition not graders. Ideally, the QC process should let them catch label swaps, but I think that would require more discrete internal tracking than is going on currently. On the other hand, one might hope that really dramatic grading failures would at least raise a red flag at the QC step.

I really thought that Marvel Spotlight 32 was going to be a label swap, but it's not; there was no other copy on that submission. So the point of failure there is really a straight-up grading failure, which is -- to be fair to CGC -- relatively uncommon.

On 4/29/2022 at 12:08 PM, joeypost said:

When labels, notes and large pieces of paper are encapsulated with the book, and it goes out the door it lends me to believe that no one looked at the book for any QC process. How do you not catch this? 

As @wombat has suggested, and I am in increasing agreement with, QC is not conducted on every single book but rather via sampling.

I just recieved a box of 25, every slab had I scratch down the front plus one with a piece of white debris in the slab. This is my 6th box in a row that has had books with scratches or scuffs. It's definitely not happening during shipping. The books are obviously not being looked at before being packaged. Someone is supposed to be contacting me via phone call. Will be interested to see what they have to say.

On 4/29/2022 at 10:15 AM, djpinkpanther67 said:

I believe there’s damage to the top edge FC

In that photo I couldn't tell if it was just reflection off the inner well.

Better pictures could have helped.