• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,172 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2022 at 6:46 PM, Flanders82 said:

I wasn't aware the issue has gotten better. I can't really notice them on the slabs I display. Maybe it's the angle and the limited lighting or it's possible newton rings are far less common now. 

Well I can't speak to that, and given the past your perfectly justified in how you feel.

That said, I have had in the past year about 3 submissions of 25 moderns and this Last 2 submissions were 20 and 18 books. In that time the only I've had with rings are the 2 in this last submission , also there was a sin city cover that is mostly black, no rings (although if it were common would stand out if there were) but it had a piece of stringy plastic from the sonic weld that seals the case. It looks like a long squiggly hair but I can tell the difference  (thumbsu

Still that said

If you look on this forum on the main page you'll see a sub forum called cgc announcements. In there you will see a thread called Newton rings that cgc started.

There have been less and less posts in 2 years time, unfortunately some members have been hit more than others. Silver lining on that, they're good about posting there. That said I'm not sure if others think to post there, but for example you can see the photos of my books there, those 2 that just came back.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/23/2022 at 5:33 AM, Robert Doggett said:

Who would send in a book in this condition and "know" it will get a 9.8?  Only someone new to the hobby would hope to get a 9.8 from this book.  Again, the info was passed down to me so I was not a fly on the wall during the discussion of this book.  

It's OK to doubt the authenticity of these pictures. Heck, I would have some reservations believing it if I didn't know the source.

OR.....

....someone who is very well aware that Moderns are basically graded by cover only and only given glancing attention to the inside condition. 

On 8/25/2022 at 4:46 PM, Flanders82 said:

I wasn't aware the issue has gotten better. I can't really notice them on the slabs I display. Maybe it's the angle and the limited lighting or it's possible newton rings are far less common now. 

Hasn't gotten better. Recent box of 25 had 23  go back...  20 because of large areas of Newton rings. Last order of 100 books had 16 go back with maybe 12 having large NR.

On 8/25/2022 at 4:17 PM, Flanders82 said:

I'm a bit confused. Are you complaining that CGC slabs have newton rings? That's how the slabs are. I thought this was an accepted fact when you send books into them or buy their slabs. 

Yup, they're not aesthetically pleasing especially since they're at focal points of the front covers! Also the fact that they were sent in for reholdering I'd expect them to come back with no issues

Edited by littledoom

On 8/26/2022 at 4:27 AM, Gaard said:

I figure the reason CGC doesn't design a new slab that doesn't have NR (or greatly reduces them), like every other grading service, is financial. Come to think of it, I can't think of any other reason.

So they must have decided its cheaper to reholder thousands of books every year  (including customer service, shipping/receiving, reholdering) than to fix the problem once and for all.  Like their competitors did.

On 8/15/2022 at 9:56 AM, LudaToke said:

I just got my Claremont books back from the signing and it looks like I am going to have to send X-men 121 back as they forgot to include the page quality on the label (White Pages etc.)  The strange thing is, the page quality isn't listed in the registry either.  Was that part of the evaluation missed entirely during the grading process?  Will it now have to go back through the entire grading process instead of a simple re-holder? These are very basic errors with the standard process that are easy to spot.   Does quality control not look at the following summary page?  It is painfully obvious when you do, that one of the books doesn't have the page quality listed.  Frustrating.  The cost of all this quality re-work is quite significant.  You would think a company like Blackstone that is so driven by profitability would take a look at how much money is being hemorrhaged at poor QC and address it simply through the motivation of keeping that money in their pockets.

image.thumb.png.7ceeec6d98292b9e3d75a03142a514a4.png

PXL_20220815_132018548.jpg

This should be an easy fix...  

On 8/26/2022 at 3:27 AM, Gaard said:

I figure the reason CGC doesn't design a new slab that doesn't have NR (or greatly reduces them), like every other grading service, is financial. Come to think of it, I can't think of any other reason.

Not only this 

On 8/26/2022 at 6:19 AM, Sigur Ros said:

So they must have decided its cheaper to reholder thousands of books every year  (including customer service, shipping/receiving, reholdering) than to fix the problem once and for all.  Like their competitors did.

But also if they were to create a new "next gen holder" that fixed these issues , I am pretty sure they would again increase the amount of reholder submissions for those looking to upgrade to the "new" holder. 

On 8/26/2022 at 2:34 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Not only this 

But also if they were to create a new "next gen holder" that fixed these issues , I am pretty sure they would again increase the amount of reholder submissions for those looking to upgrade to the "new" holder. 

Charge for it and make the reholder TATs long.

(old-case-to-new, not mech errors)

🤔

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 8/25/2022 at 7:20 PM, jcjames said:

OR.....

....someone who is very well aware that Moderns are basically graded by cover only and only given glancing attention to the inside condition. 

Huh... learn something horrifyingly new every day...

Edited by Atom Man

On 8/26/2022 at 4:19 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Sending in a CGC slab with newton rings is an acceptable mechanical error for free reholdering? 

On 8/28/2022 at 11:42 AM, littledoom said:

Sending in a CGC slab with newton rings is an acceptable mechanical error for free reholdering? 

Was, not sure if still is

On 8/28/2022 at 11:42 AM, littledoom said:

If the NRs are excessive. And from what I understand, CGC decides what is and isn't excessive.

On 8/18/2022 at 8:07 PM, CGC Mike said:

I am not sure yet.  The QC manager will investigate this.  

Hi Mike. Can you pass this on to QC please? I just had this book in to reholder for NR's. I got it back today and this is probably the worst case or rings I have gotten in three years.

Also, it had a custom spidey label on it but they forgot to put it back on before shipping out.

20220830_111316.jpg

20220830_111300.jpg

20220830_111256.jpg

20220830_111218.jpg

20220830_111211.jpg

Edited by I like pie

On 8/30/2022 at 12:23 PM, I like pie said:

Hi Mike. Can you pass this on to QC please? I just had this book in to reholder for NR's. I got it back today and this is probably the worst case or rings I have gotten in three years.

Also, it had a custom spidey label on it but they forgot to put it back on before shipping out.

20220830_111316.jpg

20220830_111300.jpg

20220830_111256.jpg

20220830_111218.jpg

20220830_111116.jpg

20220830_111211.jpg

Lol.. why do they even print a new label for a reholder?

Is it even your book?  We've seen plenty of times where it's not.

On 8/30/2022 at 12:48 PM, I like pie said:

Yes. It's a book from my personal collection.

Good. Sometimes they accidentally switch them. 

So same book, same cert #, just incorrect label.

• Administrator
On 8/30/2022 at 12:23 PM, I like pie said:

Will do!  (thumbsu