• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2022 at 7:53 PM, CGC Mike said:

I don't think you need to get too alarmed about this, as I believe it is real rare.  @Still Only 20¢ said there were spots on the inside of the slab.  I said I would bring it up to the QC manager.  

Ya I've had coffee, I may seem short, but I just was curious if it was a "thing"

No worries 

If they do notice these as new after encapsulation can you at least provide info? As I see divots in case or I've heard of scratches and other ephemera, but none of those seem to be over kill. Older slabs had different defects that just weren't "complained about". It seems with the new case transition everything is critical, but it is also good or better in a lot of ways. Like the older case was cloudy or gets dense, but compared to the first generation slab looked the same or better. I wasn't trying to be critical, just the info to weigh the results  :)

On 9/16/2022 at 7:58 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya I've had coffee, I may seem short, but I just was curious if it was a "thing"

No worries 

If they do notice these as new after encapsulation can you at least provide info? As I see divots in case or I've heard of scratches and other ephemera, but none of those seem to be over kill. Older slabs had different defects that just weren't "complained about". It seems with the new case transition everything is critical, but it is also good or better in a lot of ways. Like the older case was cloudy or gets dense, but compared to the first generation slab looked the same or better. I wasn't trying to be critical, just the info to weigh the results  :)

Whenever they sort it out, as I assume this is new, but not the 1st post about it. I'm sure you'll keep us posted  :)

On 9/16/2022 at 6:17 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

2 examples.  1st is from DC Comics 26 (Front) and the 2nd is from X-Men 100 (Back).  I'm including the original images from when I scanned the items before submitting.  It's a bit subtle, and I was having difficulty capturing the spotting taking an image of the entire front/back so I ended up focusing on small areas.

DC Comics 26 Front Original

Reveal hidden contents

DC Comics Presents 26 Front, spots underlined in red (Note they're under the Newton Ring... [cough])

BsCFN2X.jpg

X-Men 100 Back Original (it was a bit dirty, but not where the scratches are)

Reveal hidden contents

5VzFpmQ.jpg

X-Men 100 Back, spots underlined in red

HBAFjUI.jpg

Hopefully this was helpful.

I always see these 'scuffs' where newton rings would normally be. It's almost like they are being preemptively being scuffed to prevent the newton rings.

These scuffs are really noticeable on black and foil covers. All the 'white dots' you see are the scuffs. And they are all inside the case. Lighter covers they can disappear of sorts, unless you are looking for them. But once you see them you start noticing them quite regularly. They aren't on all cases, but about 40% or so, maybe.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

Edited by Robert_L

On 9/16/2022 at 8:09 PM, Gaard said:

It's a shame that CGC can basically say "Yeah, your slab has ugly NRs, and you're not happy. But c'mon, it's not that bad. Just live with it. We'll decide what is and what isn't acceptable to you."

I have limited experience with the ME process, having only submitted 2 (so far).  I shipped the 1st to CGC in mid-Aug (delivered to CGC 8/15).  8 books, I detailed the major flaws in creating the order.  I received no pushback from CGC during the time my books were reholdered.  The books were delivered back to me UPS next day.  Unfortunately I'll be sending 4 back...

My 2nd ME submission of 15 books arrived at CGC 9/9.  They're SFG.  Again, no pushback so far.

On 9/17/2022 at 11:22 AM, Robert_L said:

I always see these 'scuffs' where newton rings would normally be. It's almost like they are being preemptively being scuffed to prevent the newton rings.

These scuffs are really noticeable on black and foil covers. All the 'white dots' you see are the scuffs. And they are all inside the case. Lighter covers they can disappear of sorts, unless you are looking for them. But once you see them you start noticing them quite regularly. They aren't on all cases, but about 40% or so, maybe.

May I ask how you were able to capture the scuffing so well?  I've struggled to capture spots/scuffs, newton rings...

On 9/19/2022 at 9:03 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Book is worth about 20 cents, slabbed drek by people that don't know how to sub, sad really

CGC missed the fact that this particular book is a reprint and not the original 

Not the fact that its a garbage book

Someone could go on a platform and sell this as the original when its not, and that is CGCs fault to allow such enabling

The integrity of this hobby hasn't been the best, but its rapidly going in the toilet

On 9/17/2022 at 7:03 PM, The Meta said:

Have to wonder how many eBay scammers are taking advantage of peoples ignorance and subbing these on purpose

Just like someone who subbed a "Silver" foil variant of Maxx 1/2 that doesn't exist

Maybe it's always been this way, but it really feels like an alarming number of creeps have figured out that the current graders at CGC just aren't very good at catching this stuff, and they're exploiting it any which way they can. There was a time when, whether it's true or not, CGC were seen as experts. So if you sent a book to them, THEY would be the ones who'd know if it was a reprint, repro, later printing, etc. Maybe it's always been this bad, but it FEELS like it's hitting epidemic level, with fans having to tell CGC what they're actually grading.

On 9/19/2022 at 11:28 AM, F For Fake said:

Maybe it's always been this way, but it really feels like an alarming number of creeps have figured out that the current graders at CGC just aren't very good at catching this stuff, and they're exploiting it any which way they can. There was a time when, whether it's true or not, CGC were seen as experts. So if you sent a book to them, THEY would be the ones who'd know if it was a reprint, repro, later printing, etc. Maybe it's always been this bad, but it FEELS like it's hitting epidemic level, with fans having to tell CGC what they're actually grading.

No feels about it

CGC is messing up HUGE and the integrity of the brand is garbage

The only reason its gone on for this long is because everyone else is even more incompetent 

How thats possible is beyond me, but a few factors fall into place 

Voldy put people in charge of their PR (forum) that took a draconian approach to dealing with issues, who had the CEO itself posting and making fun of posters. It is a playground over there. The product wasn't bad, the SS model needs work, its full of holes, and since being bought by Beckett, it fell into the coporate trap of just being a money maker.

The last big name has people at the helm who are known scammers, have no infrastructure to support a large user base, and their product is subpar, with no quality. 

Anyone else in the game is honestly not even worth a mention

So this is it. This is what the grading game is

Its flimsy, has always been flimsy, but people worked at it to build a foundation, and it seems like the mortar and stone have collapsed, most likely bought off. 

Its up to US to build that integrity again, but lets face it, nobody has the cash flow to either start over, or rebuild what was once there 

On 9/19/2022 at 10:09 AM, The Meta said:

CGC missed the fact that this particular book is a reprint and not the original 

Not the fact that its a garbage book

Someone could go on a platform and sell this as the original when its not, and that is CGCs fault to allow such enabling

The integrity of this hobby hasn't been the best, but its rapidly going in the toilet

Already knew this was coming, agreed, it's the miss on CGCs part (thumbsu