• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2022 at 10:46 PM, grendelbo said:
On 10/18/2022 at 10:45 PM, Cat said:

You're cruel. lol I'd go 7.0-7.5, edging towards the former. 

Agreed.

Are we factoring in this inch long CB crease as well?  6.5 at best :sumo:

1CDE3AD2-4D6E-416D-9FB4-C130D30B524C.jpeg.999631e0def8c8a66308f56b31fd28e3.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 10/19/2022 at 12:56 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Are we factoring in this inch long CB crease as well?  6.5 at best :sumo:

1CDE3AD2-4D6E-416D-9FB4-C130D30B524C.jpeg.999631e0def8c8a66308f56b31fd28e3.jpeg

No, I didn't notice that.

:sorry:

On 10/18/2022 at 8:19 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Okay.  So we all agree it’s not a 9.8 :insane:

Grading is subjective according to CGC, it's ones opinion, well 3 no? lol Since the seller had 2, assuming his other one was the 9.8? CGC did the ole switcheroo again.:facepalm:

On 10/19/2022 at 8:30 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Grading is subjective according to CGC, it's ones opinion, well 3 no? lol Since the seller had 2, assuming his other one was the 9.8? CGC did the ole switcheroo again.:facepalm:

I wonder how this happens. Not being an azz, genuinely curious what the procedure is for matching the label to the book. Does the grader attach a note to the book somehow letting the labeler know what to put on the label? I wonder if it's better not to put two of the same issue next to each other - like maybe make 1 of them 'Line item 001' and the other 'Line item 007'.  Maybe it'd help? (shrug)

Obviously, a change needs to be made.

On 10/20/2022 at 6:12 AM, Gaard said:

I wonder how this happens. Not being an azz, genuinely curious what the procedure is for matching the label to the book. Does the grader attach a note to the book somehow letting the labeler know what to put on the label? I wonder if it's better not to put two of the same issue next to each other - like maybe make 1 of them 'Line item 001' and the other 'Line item 007'.  Maybe it'd help? (shrug)

Obviously, a change needs to be made.

There is a little tag that goes with the book, we've seen them before when they've occasionally been accidentally left in books. 

On 10/19/2022 at 9:07 PM, Cat said:

There is a little tag that goes with the book, we've seen them before when they've occasionally been accidentally left in books. 

I've received books back from CGC that failed prescreen, and each book gets a barcode sticker on the bag and board. That barcoded bag is supposed to stay on each individual book until it gets graded, but that same barcode should stay with each book throughout the grading process.  If the graders take multiple books out of bags and boards while grading, the books can get swapped. This seems to be a bigger problem during encapsulation when two of the same books with different grades get label swaps. 

I thought the tags that were left in books were all sig series stuff that had to do with the signature and the date of signing....

On 10/20/2022 at 11:41 PM, Monster's Lair Comics said:

I've received books back from CGC that failed prescreen, and each book gets a barcode sticker on the bag and board. That barcoded bag is supposed to stay on each individual book until it gets graded, but that same barcode should stay with each book throughout the grading process.  If the graders take multiple books out of bags and boards while grading, the books can get swapped. This seems to be a bigger problem during encapsulation when two of the same books with different grades get label swaps. 

I thought the tags that were left in books were all sig series stuff that had to do with the signature and the date of signing....

The ones I'd seen I believe were all sig series examples, so that lines up with what you're saying. (thumbsu

On 10/20/2022 at 9:41 AM, Monster's Lair Comics said:

So it sounds as if the switch is happening by the graders...the labelers are just doing what it says to do. Does this sound correct?

Is this a quality control issues with the little bubbles all over the inside seal. 

Never seen this before and it’s kinda ugly. 
bought from a Guy I know bought from before have no reason to think it’s tampered with matches the graders notes. 

This looks the same all the way around the entire out side of the book. 

is this just a bad job on cgc part. 

E3B0F563-EF89-4B37-AD8E-3B1A27E889A9.thumb.jpeg.d581d315cc0997212f0e144542514ec4.jpeg

ABF5B500-A561-44FE-9238-9FEE5F72C19B.jpeg

Edited by TomDehnert
More info

On 10/21/2022 at 8:25 PM, TomDehnert said:

Is this a quality control issues with the little bubbles all over the inside seal. 

Never seen this before and it’s kinda ugly. 
bought from a Guy I know bought from before have no reason to think it’s tampered with matches the graders notes. 

This looks the same all the way around the entire out side of the book. 

is this just a bad job on cgc part. 

E3B0F563-EF89-4B37-AD8E-3B1A27E889A9.thumb.jpeg.d581d315cc0997212f0e144542514ec4.jpeg

ABF5B500-A561-44FE-9238-9FEE5F72C19B.jpeg

It's only the seal of the inner well, it's on a lot of slabs, some more noticable than others. No tampering, I'm sure.

On 10/23/2022 at 8:12 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

CGC needs to evaluate and reengineer their holders, especially the inner wells. I know I’m preaching to the choir, I also don’t know what the solution is either. But God $&@#!

About 11:30 to about 13:30, is where I skipped to, and it summed up the 22 minute video, I'd assume, or it was enough for me. It's tough.

On 10/23/2022 at 7:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

About 11:30 to about 13:30, is where I skipped to, and it summed up the 22 minute video, I'd assume, or it was enough for me. It's tough.

Those staple pulls were painful. I haven’t seen the old inner wells where it’s just the two sheets pressed together for a long time, it’s all the indented trey type now. I’m not sure why CGC changed. 

Edited by Brandon Shepherd

On 10/23/2022 at 8:27 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

Those staple pulls were painful. I haven’t seen to old inner wells where it’s just the two sheets pressed together for a long time, it’s all the indented trey type now. I’m not sure why CGC changed. 

And he showed how they slide or slid, I've had a few that do it too. I'm not sure with what frequency it's allowable if any. Bright side I've not also had them such a tight fit that they popped or jarred the pages free from the staple. If I'm cgc showing those two minutes of the video is an easy out for them, unless they took seriously the account of the staple, and in the case I saw still being given a 9.6/9.8.

That said it sounds like he talked to a "manager" that said all the right things. I wish I knew more what knowledge it took for the manager to realize. Stubborn cs reps is one thing, but for the most part has been agreeable back and forth, shame this time it took a manager.

Not to pile on or make it seem numerous, but we all see problems here on the boards get started... Yet we sometimes never get to see the workings through to the conclusion. It leaves fear of what if this happened to me? What would I do in this situation? I know some have been mentioned by me as overnight mail and etc. It's just sometimes we don't know the end result?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/23/2022 at 6:59 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

....... we all see problems here on the boards get started... Yet we sometimes never get to see the workings through to the conclusion.

I had mentioned not too long ago about two 1990's X-Men 1, graded 9.8, each arriving with one sunken staple (not fully popped). Returned as Mechanical Error and got both back regraded to 9.4 with no further communication. I called customer service and luckily I had a copy of my original submission page showing that they were originally both 9.8 (They are now only listed as 9.4 with no paper trail on CGC's end to show that they were originally 9.8). CGC actually took responsibility and credited my account for the loss of value plus refunded grading fees and I still own the books. The CS rep was very helpful, passing my info on to a claims rep and it all worked out in the end.

Heres a fun one: Ive posted on here endless times about my problems i have been experiencing similar to the Bry video above with newton rings. Ive sent back over 12 boxes this year alone. Ive asked CS every time to get me in touch with a manager to no avail until I reached out to Michael from this board who was actually pretty helpful and connected me direct to Matt Nelson. I have no way to know this for sure but Matt supposedly supervised an entire re-casing of my books to verify there were no newton rings and then when I received them back - a few still had the rings. His theory is that the weather/heat is causing expansion because he swears the rings were gone when he supervised. Who knows, but he wants me to send them back direct to him for a fix. So I am hopeful now that Matt is involved they are actually trying to triage this rampant problem.

Now heres the fun part... I just got a box back over the weekend that was a CCS and a CGC pre screen. This book went through two pre screens (CCS & CGC) + a QC and no one thought to flag this. There is absolutely no way I would send over a pre screen book without checking it, let alone opening the first page of the book. But yet somehow a cigarette shaped hole was burned through the center of the book and the book still came back a 9.8. Either CCS burnt my book in press, or CGC really has it out for me after all of the mechanical errors I have sent back. 

Still waiting for a reply from Matt and Michael about where to go with this, but I thought this might be a good warning for anyone considering CCS...

image0 (1).jpeg

image1.jpeg

Edited by Jkelly

On 10/24/2022 at 4:20 PM, Jkelly said:

Heres a fun one: Ive posted on here endless times about my problems i have been experiencing similar to the Bry video above with newton rings. Ive sent back over 12 boxes this year alone. Ive asked CS every time to get me in touch with a manager to no avail until I reached out to Michael from this board who was actually pretty helpful and connected me direct to Matt Nelson. I have no way to know this for sure but Matt supposedly supervised an entire re-casing of my books to verify there were no newton rings and then when I received them back - a few still had the rings. His theory is that the weather/heat is causing expansion because he swears the rings were gone when he supervised. Who knows, but he wants me to send them back direct to him for a fix. So I am hopeful now that Matt is involved they are actually trying to triage this rampant problem.

Now heres the fun part... I just got a box back over the weekend that was a CCS and a CGC pre screen. This book went through two pre screens (CCS & CGC) + a QC and no one thought to flag this. There is absolutely no way I would send over a pre screen book without checking it, let alone opening the first page of the book. But yet somehow a cigarette shaped hole was burned through the center of the book and the book still came back a 9.8. Either CCS burnt my book in press, or CGC really has it out for me after all of the mechanical errors I have sent back. 

Still waiting for a reply from Matt and Michael about where to go with this, but I thought this might be a good warning for anyone considering CCS...

image0 (1).jpeg

image1.jpeg

Wow. Simply... Wow.