• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,152 posts in this topic

As I discussed in another thread, the scans of the comic books and I imagine magazines that one submits that CGC has commenced doing are helpful to me because upon reviewing all of them from my latest submission I noted that comic book #14 of 25 which was, as they say, a dead-bang 9.8 when I submitted it, received a 9.6 from CGC because there is what is either a roughly 1" in length vertically positioned tape pull or white piece of what appears to be paper.

Of course, it could be something else. It is impossible to know what it is from the scan. The comic books are scheduled to be delivered on Monday, July 17, 2023. Hopefully, upon inspecting it in person I'll be able to clearly see what it is because sometimes even in hand you can't be certain what you are looking at. 

On 7/14/2023 at 7:48 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

As I discussed in another thread, the scans of the comic books and I imagine magazines that one submits that CGC has commenced doing are helpful to me because upon reviewing all of them from my latest submission I noted that comic book #14 of 25 which was, as they say, a dead-bang 9.8 when I submitted it, received a 9.6 from CGC because there is what is either a roughly 1" in length vertically positioned tape pull or white piece of what appears to be paper.

Of course, it could be something else. It is impossible to know what it is from the scan. The comic books are scheduled to be delivered on Monday, July 17, 2023. Hopefully, upon inspecting it in person I'll be able to clearly see what it is because sometimes even in hand you can't be certain what you are looking at. 

I keep forgetting to note that there is one tiny CB ST on the lower part of the front cover. CGC will occasionally grade a comic book 9.6 for such but most often grade it 9.8 in my relatively long submission experience. Of course, the back page issue is presently unknown to me. The comic book is question is modern, from 2022. 

On 7/14/2023 at 8:09 AM, ak47po said:

My Ross submission has the new scans and one of the slabs looked to have a hair inside. I was prepared for a ME, but when i got the slab in hand the hair was not there. The hair was on the scanner.

Thank goodness!

On 7/14/2023 at 8:21 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I keep forgetting to note that there is one tiny CB ST on the lower part of the front cover. CGC will occasionally grade a comic book 9.6 for such but most often grade it 9.8 in my relatively long submission experience. Of course, the back page issue is presently unknown to me. The comic book is question is modern, from 2022. 

This is what I see on the back cover scan. Edit: None of the other 24 comics books show this on the respective back covers scans.

image.png.d2f5aed6559b4e5d761d84354ca4d26f.png

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe

On 7/14/2023 at 8:09 AM, ak47po said:

My Ross submission has the new scans and one of the slabs looked to have a hair inside. I was prepared for a ME, but when i got the slab in hand the hair was not there. The hair was on the scanner.

I was able to remove the scuffs from the bag on the outside of the cases, but what do I do about a fingerprint inside? I had another ME that I submitted the beginning of June. It should arrive next week...6 weeks later.

On 7/14/2023 at 8:25 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:
On 7/14/2023 at 8:21 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

This is what I see on the back cover scan. Edit: None of the other 24 comics books show this on the respective back covers scans.

image.png.d2f5aed6559b4e5d761d84354ca4d26f.png

A larger scan of "object." It strikes me as a piece of white color paper rather than a tape pull but I'm uncertain. Hopefully, when the comic books are delivered tomorrow, July 17, I'll be able to tell with the book in hand. If it is a tape pull, I submitted two copies of this issue and the other was graded 9.8. Clearly, if the comic book to which this scan belongs had a tape pull I would not have submitted it. I can't imagine any board member would waste grading, etc., fees on such for a 2022 book and many that grade to sell, unlike me who submits such books because I like the cover and they are for my personal collection, would perhaps never submit such a book.

image.png.68f1d044de4ed9329d79b1317ddcac14.png

On 7/16/2023 at 9:29 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

A larger scan of "object." It strikes me as a piece of white color paper rather than a tape pull but I'm uncertain. Hopefully, when the comic books are delivered tomorrow, July 17, I'll be able to tell with the book in hand. If it is a tape pull, I submitted two copies of this issue and the other was graded 9.8. Clearly, if the comic book to which this scan belongs had a tape pull I would not have submitted it. I can't imagine any board member would waste grading, etc., fees on such for a 2022 book and many that grade to sell, unlike me who submits such books because I like the cover and they are for my personal collection, would perhaps never submit such a book.

image.png.68f1d044de4ed9329d79b1317ddcac14.png

You're in luck, it's an object, because it's got a shadow. No way that's a tape-pull. 

On 7/16/2023 at 9:06 AM, Cat said:

You're in luck, it's an object, because it's got a shadow. No way that's a tape-pull. 

Yes, I'm leaning toward a white piece of paper because, as you noted, what appears to be shadows in the shape of the object. If it is, despite it being a 9.6 (although, as I previously noted, I think it was a dead-bang 9.8 despite a tiny CB ST - CGC did not provide grading notes for the book; of course, as one knows, "comic book grading is subjective") I'll send it back for a "dreaded" mechanical error because the object simply looks ugly on the book.

Edit: Wrong scan initially added to post.

Correct Scan: The 9.8 does not have the aforementioned shadows.

image.png.2a33eaa8b6e8f0b492638b9a17239034.png

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe

On 7/16/2023 at 10:13 AM, wiparker824 said:

A 4.5 seems generous, but even more generous is the blue label. 

IMG_1621.jpeg

Wow, yeah. Never seen the restoration info like that in a blue label before. Obviously, just working from the front page this looks lower than a 4.5 too. Either that, or I have a bunch of stuff I need to submit because they're actually 7s or something.

On 7/16/2023 at 2:35 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I wonder if anyone is out there scratching their head after receiving their 4.5 book back in a 1.5 slab? 

For the record it’s not my book, I just posted it. It’s for sale on eBay though https://www.ebay.com/itm/305027018486

The owner isn’t being deceptive about the resto and judging by the number of books they’re selling they don’t seem new to this hobby, so I’d guess they were surprised by everything even in the description the owner says it’s “baffling”. 

Not the best look for CGC to have this one sitting out there on eBay

Edited by wiparker824
Words are hard

On 7/16/2023 at 3:51 PM, zzutak said:

@CGC Mike, I can't think of a better way of destroying a once-admired brand.  Certifying this "reader" as a CGC 4.5 is a farce.  If you examine the Grader Notes, this book is actually weaker than it appears in the posted front cover scan.  I don't think I've ever seen a more bogus grade.  :sumo:

x1.png.cd2d4e7c9f2f2f6be57e1f0ef9a0f373.png

Here are just three examples of a "correctly graded" ASM #5 in CGC 4.5:

4155.thumb.jpg.bb06e3176b844436d4978ba9820aa267.jpg 4216.thumb.jpg.323c51d83fcaeb354b5d770f6ca66e24.jpg  4245.thumb.jpg.d74f768f0f9277b02d95c6e118fc1b6a.jpg

And to add insult to injury, this reader should have been encapsulated with a Purple Label.  The Grader(s), the Encapsulation Room staff, and the QC Inspector all whiffed on this.  Three separate strikes on a single pitch.  :facepalm:

They also failed to mention "slight front cover missing"...

:facepalm:

This book's pages are so white that they must have used white on white font when printing the grade and PQ label.  Or perhaps CGC is now using color (or absence of) to indicate the PQ of the book.  That or they couldn't agree on the PQ and just left it blank as a cop-out for you to interpret the PQ you think it is.  It's not listed in the CGC cert verification page. No grader's notes either so you have to interpret the grade as well.

image.png.72851f05379b9c1a01ac13a4cbd224ef.png