• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,140 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2023 at 8:57 PM, Beastfeast said:

You're making an unquantifiable claim.  I guess so was I.   

Any of you prolific submitters want to weigh in?  @greggy? @NewWorldOrder? @mycomicshop

I can speak from my narrow point of view that I've only had to send 1 book back for being mislabeled and had maybe 3 books with puddling?  Out of maybe 200 books.  

I personally check each CGC case & book when I get them back in the mail from CGC.  If I find a defect/problem with the book (which is rare) itself I send it back to CGC. If there is a problem/defect with the CGC case itself then I either send it back for a re-holder or I sell the CGC book as is with those problems fully disclosed in writing in the auction so people can see it (know about it) before they bid.  Over the years the vast majority of problems are in fact just crack cases needing re-holdering. 

If I miss anything I just take the return no problem.

Example, 98% of what I got back from CGC in 2022 came back IMO perfect and reasonable to sell without having to disclose anything.

(side note: most newton rings I don't consider a defect).

Like a said before, during COVID QC was shaky, but since 2022 it has been much better.  They can for sure improve more, but IMO they have gotten much better.  2c

So riddle me this...

How does a book with "light wear" on the top spine ... earn a 9.9  ?

Screenshot_20230628_180829_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2e7da2abface8da3397a8d564d27355f.jpg

Screenshot_20230628_180721_Instagram.thumb.jpg.8277c22d1350fa7ae5bbd9c59a3a4de6.jpg

FYI, no yellow label because sig is on case.

Saw this for sale.

Can be yours for only $7K. 

On 6/29/2023 at 2:20 PM, Juno Beach said:

This is the La Mole Amazing Spider-Man #7 reprint,  not ASM #688, as it is labeled.

There's a variant of #688 with that cover, so I think this is a case of dumb policy rather than QC error. There's thread in general on foreign comic collecting talks about the way foreign editions are handled on CGC labels and CGC have an explainer here. There are 20 different foreign books that are labelled as ASM #129, for example. :screwy:

On 6/28/2023 at 5:46 PM, Sigur Ros said:

So riddle me this...

How does a book with "light wear" on the top spine ... earn a 9.9  ?

Screenshot_20230628_180829_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2e7da2abface8da3397a8d564d27355f.jpg

Screenshot_20230628_180721_Instagram.thumb.jpg.8277c22d1350fa7ae5bbd9c59a3a4de6.jpg

FYI, no yellow label because sig is on case.

Saw this for sale.

Can be yours for only $7K. 

No, not "light wear", it's "lite wear". hm

Odds are the person who wrote that note is mid/late 20s, and is new to grading. 

On 6/28/2023 at 10:12 PM, jcjames said:

No, not "light wear", it's "lite wear". hm

Odds are the person who wrote that note is mid/late 20s, and is new to grading. 

The grade date is 2000. Chances are the grader notes were a lot more detailed then and that's to show why it wasn't a 10.

Or in the reholder they damaged the comic and just made a note of it.

On 6/25/2023 at 4:23 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Missing PQ on the label.

img_1_1687674072778.jpg.55663a1427c0f832cb1831087e2436c1.jpg

List the actual characters you cowards! 

On 6/29/2023 at 7:48 AM, Cat said:

List the actual characters you cowards! 

I have a genuine question...exactly how many autobots and decepticons have 1st appearances in #1?  Is it really feasible (especially with all the misprints and such lol)?

On 6/29/2023 at 11:46 PM, Mystafo said:

I have a genuine question...exactly how many autobots and decepticons have 1st appearances in #1?  Is it really feasible (especially with all the misprints and such lol)?

No way is it feasible. lol It's something like 28 characters. 

Edit: Checked: It's precisely 28 characters. 18 Autobots, 10 Decepticons. Plenty of room on that label! 

Though to be fair to collectors, they are the characters people are mostly looking for, with a few exceptions, like Bludgeon, Thunderwing, Nightbeat. They're the core characters people want to know about. Shame they couldn't utilise the back label for those people, even though it is a LOT of information. I have heard a collector or two mention that, to be honest. I just dismissed it as impossible, but I guess I may as well bring it up now. 

Edited by Cat

Hell, just pick out a few. First Appearance Of The Decepticons Including Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, for example. 

First Appearance of The Autobots Including Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Prowl, Jazz, Ironhide, Ratchet, Wheeljack. 

On 6/29/2023 at 10:50 AM, Cat said:

Hell, just pick out a few. First Appearance Of The Decepticons Including Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, for example. 

First Appearance of The Autobots Including Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Prowl, Jazz, Ironhide, Ratchet, Wheeljack. 

To be fair, doesn't it say 1st app of Autobots and Decepticons on the label?

On 6/30/2023 at 1:52 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

To be fair, doesn't it say 1st app of Autobots and Decepticons on the label?

It does, I mean listing specific characters to make it easier on people. I was joking at first, but it has been seriously mentioned to me a few times over the years, so eh, why not mention it. It'd be like GSX1 just saying '1st Appearance New X-Men'. You've got to know who they are to know who they are. And there's a few of them. Obviously not as extreme as 28 characters, but you get the idea. 

On 6/28/2023 at 10:02 PM, AJD said:

There's a variant of #688 with that cover, so I think this is a case of dumb policy rather than QC error. There's thread in general on foreign comic collecting talks about the way foreign editions are handled on CGC labels and CGC have an explainer here. There are 20 different foreign books that are labelled as ASM #129, for example. :screwy:

Yes, they reused the Campbell cover of ASM 688 for this Mexican ASM 7. ASM 688 goes for almost a grand while the reprint goes for $30-40. The feebay ad is trying to capitalize on this mislabeled slab.