• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2023 at 8:35 PM, CGC Mike said:

You can submit this a Mechanical Error, provided you do it within 14 days of receiving it.  Create a submission form by selecting the mechanical error option, and include the reason both on the submission form and packing slip.  After finishing the form, a prepaid shipping label will be sent to you through our website, provided you live in the US.  If not, a label will have to be sent to you manually.

The 14 day turnaround simply isn’t enough time, especially if one is on vacation or away for business or family emergencies.  Any way of speaking to the powers that be for an increased timeframe?

• Administrator
On 8/2/2023 at 8:38 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

The 14 day turnaround simply isn’t enough time, especially if one is on vacation or away for business or family emergencies.  Any way of speaking to the powers that be for an increased timeframe?

I asked about that among other things just before it was improvised.  The 14 day window is pretty firm.

Not a comic, but I sent this Sports Illustrated in as a Mechanical Error return back in May due to scuffing (not really sure what to call it, more like streaky gunk?) on the interior of the slab. Got it back a couple of days ago and it has the exact same issue...

Before

jordan-scuff.thumb.jpg.a11567d8d54d86e64b2116bb9cfa6cce.jpg

After

IMG_5561.thumb.jpg.e597ab8cc2f66f1aad88ca91001e0288.jpg

@CGC Mike A lot of fellow magazine collectors are getting slabs back with this same problem. One in particular said he recently received ten ME and has to send seven back.

• Administrator
On 8/2/2023 at 8:51 PM, JJ Speederman said:

@CGC Mike A lot of fellow magazine collectors are getting slabs back with this same problem. One in particular said he recently received ten ME and has to send seven back.

I will send a note to the operations manager, as he is in charge of QC.

On 8/2/2023 at 5:26 PM, CGC Mike said:

You can send this back to us as a mechanical error, as long as you do so within 14 days of receiving it.  After you complete a submission form, a prepaid shipping label will be sent to you through our website.  (not by e-mail)  If you live outside the US, one would have to be sent to you manually.   When you ship it, send me a PM with the tracking number and the packing slip number.  Be sure to put exactly what the problem is on the packing slip.  

Thank you for that but it’s not really an ME, right? I mean, the book is destroyed. 

• Administrator
On 8/2/2023 at 8:56 PM, Beastfeast said:

Thank you for that but it’s not really an ME, right? I mean, the book is destroyed. 

That is why I asked that you send me tracking and the packing slip number, as I will see that it goes to the right person.  After we get it, I will contact you.

On 8/3/2023 at 12:25 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They're squeezing the juice before the fruit goes rotten, my prediction.

The Lemon Song.

On 8/2/2023 at 4:13 PM, Blastaar said:

How does one....summon this Mike?

Click your heels then mention something good about the competition.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 8/2/2023 at 8:51 PM, JJ Speederman said:

Not a comic, but I sent this Sports Illustrated in as a Mechanical Error return back in May due to scuffing (not really sure what to call it, more like streaky gunk?) on the interior of the slab. Got it back a couple of days ago and it has the exact same issue...

Before

jordan-scuff.thumb.jpg.a11567d8d54d86e64b2116bb9cfa6cce.jpg

After

IMG_5561.thumb.jpg.e597ab8cc2f66f1aad88ca91001e0288.jpg

Comics too.   

I sent a couple in with that, and they came back with less of that.

Had to weigh resending a 2nd time vs the probability of them damaging the books.   Decided to live with it.

On 8/2/2023 at 2:01 PM, Beastfeast said:

Got my first taste of a properrrrr CGC screw up. 

The Black Panther was a throw in book so it didn’t mean much to me but had it pegged as a rock solid 9.8. When it got a 9.4 with indentions I thought that was strange. Got it back and looked it over and there’s not a single indentions on this book. Howeverrrrr, the spine was pinched in the inner well during encapsulation and caused the cover to pull off the staples during shipping. Nice! 

The SS 44 came back and try to guess what the grade is? I’ll post it after. This book did not have these crazy waves when it went out. 

@CGC Mike any guidance for this? 

image.jpeg.b4507dcc7653c4d3537437e4acd9e375.jpeg

Thought the book was a 100 Page Monster, until the encapsulation process, that is!  It's all right there on the book, black and white, plain as day!  Good day, sir!  :wink:

Edited by Coverless 9.8

On 8/4/2023 at 5:18 AM, Coverless 9.8 said:

Either that, or dropping books on The Killing Floor!  :wink:

It would fit, Howlin' Wolf and all.

On 8/3/2023 at 1:10 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Had to weigh resending a 2nd time vs the probability of them damaging the books.   Decided to live with it.

It's pretty sad that it's come to this. Living with subpar service (which you paid for) out of a very justified fear of CGC damaging your books.

You'd think that instead of spending manhours scanning all the books, they'd fix their dang QC problem. It's been an ongoing problem for years, afterall. All these issues have been going on for far too long. Far too long.

On 8/4/2023 at 2:34 PM, Gaard said:

It's pretty sad that it's come to this. Living with subpar service (which you paid for) out of a very justified fear of CGC damaging your books.

You'd think that instead of spending manhours scanning all the books, they'd fix their dang QC problem. It's been an ongoing problem for years, afterall. All these issues have been going on for far too long. Far too long.

If the new scanning/camera process is a manual operation (instead of integrated into an existing process stream), they have failed.

Spoiler

You can get a couple of hi-res/hi-speed cameras for about a grand a piece. Mount them above and below a spot and you can capture both images at the same time as they move down an assembly line (likely post encapsulation and pre-shipping). The cameras could also read the barcode and use that as a file naming convention for the image. The cameras are all IP based so you can easily send the image to an NVR or storage solution. Then you modify the code on the item details page to pull those image files along with the rest of the slabs info.

-bc