• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

Late to the thread, sorry, but how on earth did this book manage to receive a whopping 8.0 after it was inspected by three different graders?!

I glanced at it and immediately thought 4.0/4.5. This really is shocking.

:doh:

What did I miss?

lol

The thread. You went from post 1 to guilty with a roll of the dice.

I am quite sure it's sonically sealed although I could be wrong.

You would be great on a bomb squad! :grin:

I once had a teacher tell me nothing is 100%. I took that to heart and hate being wrong at the same time. lol

Honestly, I do believe they are sonically sealed.

But I could be wrong. :devil:

I am quite sure it's sonically sealed although I could be wrong.

You would be great on a bomb squad! :grin:

I once had a teacher tell me nothing is 100%. I took that to heart and hate being wrong at the same time. lol

Honestly, I do believe they are sonically sealed.

But I could be wrong. :devil:

"The comic book then goes to encapsulation where two pieces of safety micro chamber paper are placed inside the front and back cover. Next the CGC label and comic book are placed in an archivally safe Barex inner well before being sonically sealed in CGC’s state of the art tamper evident holder."

CGC Reference Article

Heard from CGC, and they confirmed that after examining the slab, they do not believe the slab to have been tampered with. That's also what we concluded originally when we examined the slab before sending it to CGC. As I mentioned previously, the small crack mentioned in our item notes was the kind of incidental minor slab flaw we see all the time--not evidence of a cracked and resealed slab.

I don't want to speak for CGC, but what I understood from speaking with them is that the most likely explanation is that there were two copies of ASM 5 in the work area, and the wrong one got into the holder. Not a grading error--the three graders definitely did grade a book in the 8.0 range, just not the one that ended up in the holder. Somehow the wrong book was picked up and the result was the slab you saw.

All parties involved are being taken care of to their satisfaction.

The OP, Wally's Comics, is the hero of the tale, following in a long tradition of boardies spotting weirdness and bringing to attention.. (worship)

Overall it's a tale of why detailed grader's notes should be free and standard. Non-matching notes for an extreme gift-grade or unusual slam would instantly alert the end-user a mistake has occurred. A 1st level freebie for stronger customer and market confidence.

Late to the thread, sorry, but how on earth did this book manage to receive a whopping 8.0 after it was inspected by three different graders?!

I glanced at it and immediately thought 4.0/4.5. This really is shocking.

:doh:

What did I miss?

lol

The thread. You went from post 1 to guilty with a roll of the dice.

:sorry:

Makes you wonder about the guy that submitted the 8.0 book and got back a much lower grade.

If there were two identical books in the same spot, it's actually quite common for large submitters to submit multiple copies of the same book. That's one possibility.

Overall it's a tale of why detailed grader's notes should be free and standard. Non-matching notes for an extreme gift-grade or unusual slam would instantly alert the end-user a mistake has occurred. A 1st level freebie for stronger customer and market confidence.

I have to agree. It would eliminate a large portion of the possibility for deception.

I have to agree. It would eliminate a large portion of the possibility for deception.

+1

+1

+2

Heard from CGC, and they confirmed that after examining the slab, they do not believe the slab to have been tampered with. That's also what we concluded originally when we examined the slab before sending it to CGC. As I mentioned previously, the small crack mentioned in our item notes was the kind of incidental minor slab flaw we see all the time--not evidence of a cracked and resealed slab.

I don't want to speak for CGC, but what I understood from speaking with them is that the most likely explanation is that there were two copies of ASM 5 in the work area, and the wrong one got into the holder. Not a grading error--the three graders definitely did grade a book in the 8.0 range, just not the one that ended up in the holder. Somehow the wrong book was picked up and the result was the slab you saw.

All parties involved are being taken care of to their satisfaction.

Looked up the cert number and it appears a small group of ASM's and a TTA 27 were graded in this batch on 7/18/2013.

What's kinda strange is this was graded almost a year and a half ago, and if this was an accidental switch, whoever got the undergraded slab didn't bring this to their attention sooner.

Unless they did, but the overgraded book (this one) didn't get sorted out when the undergraded slab did.